I switched to Apple, got a Macbook Pro.....FML

Via Heeto

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I have never owned an Apple product in my life. But my old Dell had run its course and I needed a new computer. I do a lot of video editing, and virtually every site said this computer was the best at that. So i forked up $4300 and made the plunge. Had it for 24 hours and doing simple things like scrolling and enlarging the screen are problematic. I hooked up my old logitech mouse to it and it doesn't really work.

I know there is a learning curve, but at this point I can't even tell if I like it because I don't know how to use it.

Any of you make the switch? And how hard was it for you to get used to?

Last edited:
I have never owned an Apple product in my life. But my old Dell had run its course and I needed a new computer. I do a lot of video editing, and virtually every site said this computer was the best at that. So i forked up $43000 and made the plunge. Had it for 24 hours and doing simple things like scrolling and enlarging the screen are problematic. I hooked up my old logitech mouse to it and it doesn't really work.

I know there is a learning curve, but at this point I can't even tell if I like it because I don't know how to use it.

$43,000? Is that a typo? You can buy a BMW with that kind of money.

I think this is more concerning than figuring out how to scroll...
I never would have spent that much if it was solely for personal use. But because I need it for work, and the features at that price point were essential, I had to do it. I can't afford to fall behind my competitors because of inferior equipment which is what I was doing. There was an HP that was similar that was the same price

@lsa uses a MacBook Pro 16, he had some issues adjusting but enjoys using it now. Think he said that he got the highest specced version.
yea, it will take time. I actually would have preferred another $1500 in additional features, but I was at my max

I never would have spent that much if it was solely for personal use. But because I need it for work, and the features at that price point were essential, I had to do it. I can't afford to fall behind my competitors because of inferior equipment which is what I was doing. There was an HP that was similar that was the same price

oops, 1 too many zeros

I was actually legitimately worried you somehow spent over 40k when you started to explain. Lol.

It's a hard change and some functions are nonsensical or just shit compared. After a year I relly like my Macbook Pro but I as the same reaction first.
Some stuff still bugs me.

There are also programs that let you install Windows and use windows based programs called Paralells Desktop for 80 bucks or so.

My company tried to get me to use a Mac since I use a design program and all the other product designers have one. I told them to keep it and I continue to use a surface laptop. Program runs just fine on it.

My gf bought me a MacBook. It takes getting used to, but as others have probably mentioned, you can change the settings to mimic your old PC. So, unless you are doing stuff beyond casual use, it's fine, really. And taking calls to your Mac is very easy, too.

Macs are horseshit. I'm surprised the other brands with similar features were similarly priced.

Granted, I've never bought a high end laptop, but my experience has always been that Macs are just significantly more expensive than similarly specd competitors. In my experience, the build quality, performance and integration with other Apple programs are the strengths, but they come at wayyyyy too high a price, indicating that integration with other Apple systems isn't so much a feature as a constraint, forcing people to fork over more money to stay within the Mac universe.

My gf bought me a MacBook. It takes getting used to, but as others have probably mentioned, you can change the settings to mimic your old PC. So, unless you are doing stuff beyond casual use, it's fine, really. And taking calls to your Mac is very easy, too.

Uhoh. MacBook is more serious than an iPad. You better check her phone, Sherbro.

I switched to Apple already in 2004, when I bought my first Powerbook and never looked back. I now own a macbook air for fun and an IMac for more serious stuff.

I have never owned an Apple product in my life. But my old Dell had run its course and I needed a new computer. I do a lot of video editing, and virtually every site said this computer was the best at that. So i forked up $4300 and made the plunge. Had it for 24 hours and doing simple things like scrolling and enlarging the screen are problematic. I hooked up my old logitech mouse to it and it doesn't really work.

You went to Apple!! That's like going from VHS to Beta. Apple locks shit down so much. I'm not a fan as you can tell, but I know people that love it. It's like Ford vs Holden. Ya go for one or the other. Fuck Holden, too:)

hahaha-laughing.gif

In the end it's all the same s*** repackaged into a different ecosystem. But personally I've never liked Apple products and I especially despised having to support apple products on a professional level.

Back