Opinion I Think Engineering Should Be The Only Majors That's Free

gizmo J

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Engineering is essential to creating a technological advanced world

But schools that have non-engineering majors that are useless could charge as much as they want to.

What do you think?

Last edited:
I think first year for majors that relate to the most needed jobs in the country should be free. Then they should scale the cost based on proficiency and grades attained, with the best students getting a free ride and the worst having to pay full tuition. Although that's kind of the system we have now with scholarships.

Schooling costs are the real issue, there's no reason kids should pay $50K each year to sit in a class room. Where is that cost going? The professors probably get paid like $100K-150K per year, so that's about 3 students worth.

Schooling costs are the real issue, there's no reason kids should pay $50K each year to sit in a class room. Where is that cost going? The professors probably get paid like $100K-150K per year, so that's about 3 students worth.
The football program?

political science majors?

i kid, i kid

You do realize there are other fields other than engineering and social sciences?

Is biomed useless?

I know TS isn't going to respond, but I kinda agree. If college were to be free I think it should be exclusively for STEM subjects as well as majors where there are shortages in the job market that need to be filled. I have zero interest in tax dollars going to hobby majors.

glight.gif

If someone can pass Thermodynamics and Calc 2 with at least a B….

Sure

I vote for degree in truck driver

we talkin' long distance or dem lazy daily routes?

I think gym should be free so we have more hot people to do p0rn and sex trade stuff. We need more hot fit people and not just chicks but also dudes and trans b/c i'm inclusive with perverted stuff.

It's an interesting thread. I'm going to include a quote from the Johns Hopkins Study of Mathematically Precocious Youth - a 35+ year longitudinal study of some of the brightest children .

Given the ever-increasing importance of quantitative and scientific reasoning skills in modern cultures, when mathematically gifted individuals choose to pursue careers outside engineering and the physical sciences, it should be seen as a contribution to society, not a loss of talent.
https://my.vanderbilt.edu/smpy/files/2013/02/DoingPsychScience20061.pdf

Talented kids should get college paid for, regardless of the field they choose to apply their talents to. A lot of mediocre intelligences get engineering degrees and a lot of brilliant people get degrees in the liberal arts. Reward talent no matter where it's applied and your society improves.

I do think free or governement given grants to degrees America needs more of would be more beneficial than free college for all. We don't have a societal needs for more liberal arts majors really.

Are we in a shortage of nurses, teachers, engineers? Then subsidize those degrees

In 10 years maybe we're good on nurses and engineers and need more business or finance majors. So then cut the subsidies for nurses and engineers and hand them out for kids entering those majors

Same principal for the trades with shortages like truck drivers or electricans if needed. Give a stipend for working 5+ years in an in demand field.

I'm guessing you're an engineering major.

Yes. Let's make it free to enter one of the highest paid fields. That'll help solve income inequality for sure.

As long as it's challenging from day 1 then sure. Honestly, most people wouldn't make it past the 1st year . Most people Stent interested in the things that make someone a successful engineer . Have a stipulation that if you drop out your on the hook for the money.

Back