Media I think the UFC interim belt should be silver, what do you guys think?

Should the UFC introduce a silver belt for interim champions?

• Total voters
Off topic, but this might be interesting in case you followed the Alistair Overeem weight loss news.
Reem next to 6’6” Cookie (who weighed in at 276lbs for his last fight) earlier this week in Miami:

For comparison, Sherbro Maurits next to Tariq Osaro, a day before he became interim champion at Collision 5 in June by knocking out Antonio Plazibat in the 5th round:

View attachment 997780

Yeah Alistair lost weight, he slimmed down a lot, but he’s still looking athletic and quite muscular as far as I’m concerned, definitely not (unhealthy) skinny like everyone was saying.

Though Overeem obviously used to be far more buffed, when I trained with him in May last year:

View attachment 997781

View attachment 997782

Digging the idea little brother.
It should definitely be different from the real belt.

It's a nice way to make the unmistakable distinction visually. I'm all for it.

Great idea. And, the BMF belt should be changed to hot pink with fake fur around the edges.

Jarl

Today got announced that Rico Verhoeven will look to unify his heavyweight championship against interim champion Tariq “Cookie” Osaro at Collision 6 on November 4.
In GLORY the interim champion has a silver belt, instead of the traditional gold like the defending champion does, which looks like this:

That got me thinking, why wouldn’t the UFC introduce a silver interim belt aswell?

Look, here’s interim champion Justin Gaethje fighting defending champion Khabib Nurmagomedov:

View attachment 997772

And interim champion Ciryl Gane fighting defending champion Francis Ngannou:

View attachment 997773

Obviously we all know who’s the real champion and who’s the interim champion here, but using a silver belt for the interim champ would make the difference between both “champions” visibly clear.
Like, you’re second (silver), so there’s still work to do to become Nr. 1 (and touch gold).
Imo there needs to be a visual difference in “value” and rank between both belts.

Introducing a silver interim belt would also make it easier to understand for guys (or girls) who’re trying to get into/get an understanding of the sport, because I remember when I watched those two particular fights with friends, I had to explain to my supersuper casual friends that one guy was the interim champion with the other one being the defending champion, when then they kept asking me why the hell both guys had the same belt..

So I’m curious, do you think it would be cool/better if the UFC introduced a silver belt for interim champions?:cool:

View attachment 997778

<mma4>

Great idea! I love it!

sure and while we are at it, re-design the modern UFC championship belt. where is the prestige, the class, the notoriety? such a dull looking championship belt.

This is the exact same idea I've had for a decade! All my fight buddies are tired of hearing me ramble on about it.

It's the obvious play. Let's do it.

I agree on both main lines of thought in this thread. If such a belt needs to exist at all, being silver would be fine to distinguish it from the real deal. However, I’m all for stripping an inactive champion.

Yeh, it never made sense to me why it wasn't silver.

Should just be made of paper.

I have always felt this way. I think it makes sense on a certain practical level and I also dig it aesthetically, lol.

Sounds good and I wish they'd go back to only making an interim belt when a champ is out for a year or more. At the very least they should be out 6 months and still not healthy enough to schedule a fight at that time. These days a champ stubs his toe and bam interim belt! If a champ gets actually injured? Bam, stripped! Jiri and Hill are good examples of the latter.

I think it should be plutonium so it glows in the dark
<{1-9}>

Back