I think there is better argument for DJ 50-45 than Cejudo 48-47

CaesarSinclair34

Intercontinental Championship Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I just rewatched Demetrius Johnson vs Henry Cejudo 2 from UFC 227 and found myself scoring the fight 50-45 for DJ.
I think that Cejudo has had maybe the greatest 4 fight run in UFC history on paper. But there is an asterix on Flyweight title win.

DJ won round 1 and 3 clearly. I can see why some people gave 2,4,5 to Cejudo but that majority of people should have at least given one of those rounds to DJ. Rounds 2 & 4 Cejudo landed a nice take down but did little with top position to negate the effective striking DJ displayed in the majority of those rounds. Round 5 honestly was a toss up.

How do you guys feel about this fight

It was a while that the UFC wanted to get rid of DJ, that was the perfect opportunity. I remember that watching the fight live when the scorecards came out I was like "yeah, lol, that's rigged".

It was a bad decision. Cejudo did not do much with the takedowns other than just hold DJ down. Oh well. Im actually glad Cejudo won so we go to see him taking over two division. He was also clearly becoming a better fighter after those outings.

I just rewatched Demetrius Johnson vs Henry Cejudo 2 from UFC 227 and found myself scoring the fight 50-45 for DJ.
I think that Cejudo has had maybe the greatest 4 fight run in UFC history on paper. But there is an asterix on Flyweight title win.

DJ won round 1 and 3 clearly. I can see why some people gave 2,4,5 to Cejudo but that majority of people should have at least given one of those rounds to DJ. Rounds 2 & 4 Cejudo landed a nice take down but did little with top position to negate the effective striking DJ displayed in the majority of those rounds. Round 5 honestly was a toss up.

giphy.gif

Could it have been 48-47 MM sure but 50-45 nah fam.

I remember thinking it at the time, but it could have been me wanting DJ to win. Definitely worth going back and watching again. It's sad to see him wasting the rest of his career away in Japan fighting lower level competition.

996E5092-3649-42AD-9CD1-E59BDFD8D60B.png
These are the scorecards from the fight. I remember thinking DJ edged it, but I don’t think it was a robbery.

I remember thinking it at the time, but it could have been me wanting DJ to win. Definitely worth going back and watching again. It's sad to see him wasting the rest of his career away in Japan fighting lower level competition.

You might be surprised with the guys in One. They have some real talent in the lower weight classes and DJ didn’t blow Wada or Kingad out of the water in their fights though he did deserve the decisions. Also gotta say they are not a Japanese promotion but I know what you meant.

it was close enough so that you can't be really upset about it, but i definitely thought MM pulled it off.

You might be surprised with the guys in One. They have some real talent in the lower weight classes and DJ didn’t blow Wada or Kingad out of the water in their fights though he did deserve the decisions. Also gotta say they are not a Japanese promotion but I know what you meant.

I didn't see the Wada fight, but he played it safe and controlled Kingad for the vast majority of that fight. I want to see someone push him like Cejudo did, and I haven't seen it yet in One.

Edit: My bad on the Japanese part, my brain is still wired from PRIDE. I'll go with Southeast Asia, hopefully it's a bit more accurate.

It was just close. I thought they would give it to MM because judges typically keep the belt with the champ in close fights. I scored it for Henry. I'll have to rewatch this one again soon

View attachment 778253
These are the scorecards from the fight. I remember thinking DJ edged it, but I don’t think it was a robbery.
One of the rare cases I agreed with the judging. DJ won the first and 3rd Cejudo the 4th and 5th. 2nd was the questionable one. I gave it to Cejduo but there's certainly an argument to be made that you could have given it to MM.

My recollection of the fight was that it was very close, and that I had it 3-2 Mighty Mouse, with MM winning the first three and Cejudo winning the last two very close rounds. Round 2 is the round they got wrong, IMO.

Beyond R2, the reason people get a fit over it is because MM overwhelmingly won the rounds he won, and Cejudo just barely won his, and MM almost certainly won the fight if it were score as one single unit.

But again...the discrete round-by-round all rounds equal scoring creates a different dynamic.

I had it 49-46 Cejudo

Back