I was wrong about Neil Magny.

big franklin

franklin
@Green
Reaction score
I was wrong about Neil Magny...

Like many others, I was blown away by Neil's performance during UFC 297.

I thought he was nothing but a forgettable top 10 gatekeeper but boy was I wrong. His striking was sharp, organized, factual.

Fighting nothing but straight killers.. Gilbert Burns, VIncente Luque, Shavkat, Malott, and now he has a quick turnaround fight with Ian Garry. Mad respect.

WW is diva rich division, so I respect him for keeping busy. He may not be champ material but he might edge himself to the top 10.

Personally, I think he shuts down Ian Garry. I'd like to see him face Sean 'Crooked Nose' Brady next.

Level of competition is something that typical "record gazers" all too often overlook. Neil has been a high level gatekeeper for at least a decade.

Being a gate keeper is often said with a negative tone... but the flip side of that is when he keeps teh lesser competion from passing through to teh top 10. It's a whole different world past teh gate. Under teh gate is basically teh UFC's version of any other organization.

Steps to UFC
  1. Become champion of another org
  2. Get into teh UFC & run through teh kiddie pool
  3. Work your way through teh different levels of gatekeepers of your division
  4. Enter teh top 10
  5. Win against some of teh best gatekeepers & get into teh title convo
  6. Fight for teh title

Last edited:
He is a gatekeeper, but there's nothing wrong with that. He's durable and tough AF.

He's fought everyone. Decent skills, but just not elite.

I was glad to see him get a much needed win. He's actually a super likeable character. Always comes across as humble and pleasant in interviews and with the fans.

He is a gatekeeper, but there's nothing wrong with that. He's durable and tough AF.

He's fought everyone. Decent skills, but just not elite.

I was glad to see him get a much needed win. He's actually a super likeable character. Always comes across as humble and pleasant in interviews and with the fans.
Agree with this.

The problem is many dumb sherdoggers call guys gatekeeper as an insult, when it's anything but.

001e9d71-500.webp

I thought he was nothing but a forgettable top 10 gatekeeper but boy was I wrong. His striking was sharp, organized, factual.

Fighting nothing but straight killers.. Gilbert Burns, VIncente Luque, Shavkat, Malott, and now he has a quick turnaround fight with Ian Garry. Mad respect.

WW is diva rich division, so I respect him for keeping busy. He may not be champ material but he might edge himself to the top 10.

Personally, I think he shuts down Ian Garry. I'd like to see him face Sean 'Crooked Nose' Brady next.
You were right actually, luckily for Magny his opponent Mallott has shit cardio, this has been known.

Wtf is “factual” striking? Genuinely curious.

It was an amazing comeback, fair to Neil. But most of that fight was getting the shit kicked out of him. He's the only WW moving the division. Shows everyone that things would be different if everyone was active.
That’s why it’s a great comeback, because he came back from an absolute ass kicking he was receiving.
The same could be said of Ali vs Foreman. Fighting isn’t about how you start, it’s how you finish that matters.

Back