I was wrong about Neil Magny.

How did you look up or remember his record and not realize he already fought and lost to Ian Garry lol

That’s why it’s a great comeback, because he came back from an absolute ass kicking he was receiving.
The same could be said of Ali vs Foreman. Fighting isn’t about how you start, it’s how you finish that matters.
I'm impressed. I mean I wouldn't put it on Ali/Foreman level, but still comeback from hell. To be honest I don't see Magny pulling a Big Nog and doing it in his future fights. I still would bet against him. But can't count him out until you finish him.

It’s funny, cause Mallott was trying to beat Magny the same way garry and to a lesser degree ponzi did. Pressure with calf kicks and land pot shots to the head, except Garry was more aggressive than Mallott and ponzi was more aggressive than garry and had more time to find the finish

mallott should have taken the boring 30-27 and then apologised to the crowd instead of going for a finish he didn’t have. He didn’t go all in on the striking either so Magnys legs weren’t as battered as the aforementioned Garry and ponzi fights

magny is the best gatekeeper. He keeps guys like rowe who only beat price cause he gassed out from entering the rankings. d-rod, jingliang, max griffin, all these un ranked guys who would pollute the rankings are cut down by the king of the gate magny. He even beat geoff neal in a 30-27 outclassing a few years ago which I never see people mention, even though it was genuinely a masterclass performance against a heavy handed guy

So you felt he’s a gatekeeper before? Yet you still describe him as a gatekeeper.
He's a top 10 gatekeeper at the UFC level, which means that he's very fucking good in the grand scheme of things.

Dude has always had my respect.
Staying in pretty high level compition through the years and having great wins is always respected.
Some are born with that little extra talent, never these type guys.
Guys like Magny, Miller, Guida are prime examples and we are fortunate to still see them.

I'm impressed. I mean I wouldn't put it on Ali/Foreman level, but still comeback from hell. To be honest I don't see Magny pulling a Big Nog and doing it in his future fights. I still would bet against him. But can't count him out until you finish him.
I wouldn’t put it to Ali Foreman level either; was just saying that Ali was getting absolutely crushed till he came back to KO Big George.

I am a fan of him even though not all of his fights are exciting. He really has a anyone anytime mindset that loads of guys say they have but dont, will always fight up and coming killers without complaining and often has taken late replacement fights.

Fights often and has an impressive set of wins in former champs Condit, Hendricks, Robbie, future champ Erick Silva, and other quality wins in Lombard, Gastelum, Neal, Means, and Martin.

After he loses to Garry you'll be saying he was always overrated and should retire.
You basement dwellers always overreact in the same ways.

Level of competition is something that typical "record gazers" all too often overlook. Neil has been a high level gatekeeper for at least a decade.

Being a gate keeper is often said with a negative tone... but the flip side of that is when he keeps teh lesser competion from passing through to teh top 10. It's a whole different world past teh gate. Under teh gate is basically teh UFC's version of any other organization.

Steps to UFC
  1. Become champion of another org
  2. Get into teh UFC & run through teh kiddie pool
  3. Work your way through teh different levels of gatekeepers of your division
  4. Enter teh top 10
  5. Win against some of teh best gatekeepers & get into teh title convo
  6. Fight for teh title
A lot of teh.
But it's better than Fedor dribble.

Back