Ian Garry = DDP 2.0?

He is an okay fighter, just needs to let go of Conor's balls
Garry ain't letting go of those balls till' he gets The Proper 12

That being said, he's skilled and slick, he's young, but I have yet to see him in a real dog fight - Shaved Kat goes to war (Ian ain't ready for that yet).

How do you know how good his grappling is?
Its a fact that he has not been tested there, or even how a grappling threat can mess with his striking
You know he had fights before the UFC, right?

Garry is legit. I just can’t stand his cringey, wannabe Conor act

Dont be vague and point to the specific opponent that opened your eyes about Ian's ability to deal with a legit grappler in a a cage
Or cut the BS
Ok.

In his last fight in Cage Warriors he beat Jack Grant, who is an excellent BJJ grappler. Garry neutralized and dominated.

The fight before that he fought a strong wrestler in Rostem Akman. Garry completely destroyed him.

Both of those fights were more than two years ago. Since then Garry has been training at Kill Cliff with guys like Gilbert Burns and Jason Jackson. Jackson is his main training partner, and he's a beast.

It remains to be seen just how good Garry's grappling really is, against UFC-level grappling threats, but I am very confident in saying that it's at least good. And I'm even more confident in making fun of the guy who said that it's "sub-par".

Yeah, Garry is primarily a striker, and an excellent one. But he has already proven to me that he's well-rounded, and he's training every day with some of the best grapplers in the world. He'll be fine.

I don't think Garry is facing off with Shavkat. Same gym issue.

Really because he was getting rocked in every fight by guys outside the top 10.
<SelenaWow>
Yeah, the ability to recover from being rocked is not a bad thing. What happened in those fights?

Any thoughts on Gabriel Bonfim yet?

The future of 170 looks pretty bright right now:
Shavkat (17-0)
Morales (15-0)
Bonfim (15-0)
Chimaev (12-0)
Ian Garry (12-0)
It'd be sick if the UFC somehow signed Magomed Umalatov (14-0)

I would add Rinat Fakhretdinov (22-2) and Jack Della Maddalena (15-2) to this list.

oh agreed 100% thats the beauty of MMA....your only a hype train until your not. I agree we are seeing signs that he might be legit, just as we have seen from DDP. I was just saying i feel like coming into the UFC DDP was more of an afterthought than Gary was. I once thought jon jones was a hype train lol. I love this sport, some guys are erik silva some guys are jon jones,

before anyone gets on my ass i realize eric silva is still young enough to turn it around lol.

people immediately labelled DDP a "fun fighter" type who will have entertaining scraps but didn't have what it takes to get to the top. lots of people said the same thing when he was matched with Whittaker and now he's on the cusp of being a champion. crazy sport.

Probably been said but Garry and shavkat are teammates.

I would add Rinat Fakhretdinov (22-2) and Jack Della Maddalena (15-2) to this list.
YES!!!
Most definitely. Good call, partner
{<redford}

p.s. Any idea why Sherdog and Tapology have different records for Rinat?
Sherdoggy-dogg has that Igor Svirid fight as an ammy, thus not counting against pro record.

You mean 3.0?

DDP 2.0
upload_2023-8-3_9-9-3.jpeg

OG DDP
images

Garry is reminding me of Rory Macdonald coming up. But we shall see

DDP usually looks bad but keeps winning

Gary always looked like a legit striker, so I'm not surprised he keeps winning. But we'll see if he can wrestle with the top WWs if he gets past Neal.

You need to be top tier to beat Whittaker.

He's basically the second champ of the division.

No one thinks Neal is that guy.

Neal lost to a guy who's exactly an example of someone too weak to even be a title contender (Magny)

Back