If Demetrious Johnson was the same size as Jones, would he have beaten him easily?

Has it ever occured to you that it isn't so much that a athlete like mighty mouse being bigger would instantly be less athletic and more so that athletes like mighty mouse don't hardly exist beyond a certain weight? They do exist though. Prime bo Jackson and prime hershell Walker were both about the same size as Jones for example yet they were both not only more powerful p4p but also faster, more agile and explosive than mighty mouse. You guys just make these bs claims that fighter x being bigger would instantly be less athletic and impressive as if you have some magical formula or something. Well how athletic would he be then? Would he be as athletic as Chris daukaus? As cyril gane?
He would be able to walk on water like a carpenter.

Not true. It would be deeper but regardless of pay heavyweight will never be as deep as lightweight because there aren't as many people of that size. Even football has a limited number of good quarterbacks.

football doesn't have a limited number of good quarterbacks. where are you getting that from...even third string quarterbacks have a better throwing arm and field command than like 99 percent of the population

and if pay were as good or better than the major sports - say, an alternate timeline where mma was the most prestigious and popular sport on the planet - then the middleweight, light heavyweight, and heavyweight divisions would have many millions of people competing with each other just to get to the big leagues. again, you can bet your bottom dollar that there would be an arms race on developing skillsets as much as possible

oh and the athleticism level of the upper weight classes would go way up. in fact, by global standards of freak athleticism, only guys like Pavlovich and Ngannou and maybe a few others (like Jones - I don't care if he is not the stereotypical "fast twitch black athlete" and can't dunk a basketball; his athleticism is world class where it matters and he is not someone you would want to have his hands on you) stack up at heavyweight compared to the real freak athletes of the world

Has it ever occured to you that it isn't so much that a athlete like mighty mouse being bigger would instantly be less athletic and more so that athletes like mighty mouse don't hardly exist beyond a certain weight? They do exist though. Prime bo Jackson and prime hershell Walker were both about the same size as Jones for example yet they were both not only more powerful p4p but also faster, more agile and explosive than mighty mouse. You guys just make these bs claims that fighter x being bigger would instantly be less athletic and impressive as if you have some magical formula or something. Well how athletic would he be then? Would he be as athletic as Chris daukaus? As cyril gane?
You think Bo Jackson Could do a flying armbar, after fighting for 15 minutes straight then perform a standing spinning backflip?

MM couldn't even beat John Dodson easily <45>

I know there is all this hype recently about all these skills that MM has, but no one in history will beat peak Jon Jones easily, that's just stupid.

If we want to bring up UFC stats, Jon Jones has a 95% TDD and DJ has a 65%, and when DJ fought a legit world class wrestler he won once and he lost once.

While DJ has slightly better striking defense, Jones has slightly better striking accuracy, all while Jon Jones was fighting legit world class fighters, and DJ was fighting mostly above average guys.

When the chips were down and they both needed major career defining performances and/or wins, Jon Jones always came through while DJ did faulter a couple times.

DJ is top ten all time and has a claim to a top 5 spot. But Jon Jones would be far and away his toughest competition ever, he has never fought a guy on that level. The one time he fought a top PFP threat he went 1-1, and Cejudo isn't close to the fighter Jon is.

Last edited:
If you shrunk Jones down to MM size, he would still be worth more than Ben Askren

You think Bo Jackson Could do a flying armbar, after fighting for 15 minutes straight then perform a standing spinning backflip?
I do. If he trained to fight.

MM couldn't even beat John Dodson easily <45>

I know there is all this hype recently about all these skills that MM has, but no one in history will beat peak Jon Jones easily, that's just stupid.

Except for Reyes.

You know that hall of famer...:rolleyes:

Mighty mouse didn't fight for 15 minutes straight. MMA rounds are 5 minutes a piece. But anyways, yes he could if he was trained for it

I'm not small. I'm 6'1 and 240 lbs. I've trained a lot of judo, wrestling, and BJJ, and a small amount of muay thai. My experience has always been that the smaller guys are more often than not more skilled than the bigger guys - yet the big guys still beat them because they are bigger and stronger.

Heavyweights are able to get by on knockout power, or by manhandling others who are smaller than them. This leads them to develop less actual technique than those who do not possess that same ability. Take a guy like Derrick Lewis, or Francis Ngannou - both are guys who don't have any sort of amazing technique in their striking, nor do they possess great grappling skills. But due to sheer physicality and power, they can climb to the top of the heavyweight division. The higher weight classes quite clearly have more one-dimensional fighters than the lower divisions, and that's because when you're big, you can get by on physical attributes more easily (i.e. insane knockout power). If a guy like Islam Makachev, Alexander Volkanovski, or even Sean O'Malley possessed the same physical attributes as Ngannou or Lewis, they would utterly outclass and brutalise them. Those smaller fighters are infinitely more skilled than the top heavyweight fighters in MMA. I think you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

Totally not true. Lewis is good everywhere. He has been graping almost daily for like 15+ years in a row. He is just a powerful fat big guy. He fights different more animalistic. He got great instincts. Usually black belts don't just take him down and sub him.

Nganou is a pure freak of nature and workhorse. He's too athletic.

You say if Sean O Miley was 265 pounds and fat strong like Lewis he would not looks slower and more plodding ? You think he would swiftly dance around. OK look at CroCop he was technical and aesthetical and still sometimes gets beat. Hw is just a different game phisically with the strength in grappling and striking. It's not as fancy as 135 flies.

When the power is huge instincts and brawling become more affective.

So you're 240 pounds 6'1 but you're less athletic and then shit on the ones who are better then you by saying the just got power. These guys been training daily twice for 20 years in a row and got better genetics then you. And are mentally tougher

I'm not small. I'm 6'1 and 240 lbs. I've trained a lot of judo, wrestling, and BJJ, and a small amount of muay thai. My experience has always been that the smaller guys are more often than not more skilled than the bigger guys - yet the big guys still beat them because they are bigger and stronger.

Heavyweights are able to get by on knockout power, or by manhandling others who are smaller than them. This leads them to develop less actual technique than those who do not possess that same ability. Take a guy like Derrick Lewis, or Francis Ngannou - both are guys who don't have any sort of amazing technique in their striking, nor do they possess great grappling skills. But due to sheer physicality and power, they can climb to the top of the heavyweight division. The higher weight classes quite clearly have more one-dimensional fighters than the lower divisions, and that's because when you're big, you can get by on physical attributes more easily (i.e. insane knockout power). If a guy like Islam Makachev, Alexander Volkanovski, or even Sean O'Malley possessed the same physical attributes as Ngannou or Lewis, they would utterly outclass and brutalise them. Those smaller fighters are infinitely more skilled than the top heavyweight fighters in MMA. I think you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

Jon Jones doesn't have power and is the lhw goat. He landed 1 punch knockdown in his whole career.

LHW is mentally tougher. Those KOs are harder. The shin checks hurt more. You get more brain damage. It's more brutal. You get scared faster

Back