If khamzat struggled to takedown former 155er in Burns..

Danas_right

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Anyone that doesn't think it will be hard for him to take down Costa is lying to themselves. Not saying its not possible but Khamzat could get beat up in this fight

His stand up isn't great, just comes forward recklessly. Costa hits hard, is tough and can counter too. Wouldn't be shocked if Khamzat lost

Been a minute since I watched that fight but I remember him not even trying any td’s. Dude just wanted to bang that fight. Costa hasn’t looked great lately. He fought a guy with no chin that was completely gassed out and couldn’t put him away.

I’m calling it now. Khamzat walks through costa and makes it look easy.

Khamzat never wanted to grapple Burns and that was his game-plan to avoid the guard of Burns..

Costa is gonna get smeshed besides he will turn up deer in the headlights and Khamzat is gonna execute him on the spot.

Costa doesn't have good striking on the contrary only if he can get on the inside because he has short arms he can land something but Khamzat has jab and powerful hands could sleep him trying to come inside but don't even see the fight reaching that far I think Khamzat will be able to take the fight everywhere he wants

Last edited:
He had no issues with the takedown. He didn't want go to the ground with Burn's BJJ. Burns made him look stupid from his back.

gilbert-burns-khamzat-chimaev.gif

Depends if Costa switched his Secret Juice with Red Wine

Don't remember the fight too well, so can you walk me through his difficulty taking down 3rd degree black belt bjj multiple gold medalist Gilbert Burns?

Also, the recycled "former 155 pounds" line just makes me think your fat ass came out your mom at 156 pounds

Costa got mounted by izzy and finished

Chimaev got 3 out of 3 takedowns. He took him down everytime he attempted or wanted to do so.

He took him down in the 1st round but opted to stand him back up again, he did once more towards the end of the 2nd round and the third time Burns pulled guard. Chimaev didn't want to do anything with the takedowns because he's gameplan was to stand and strike.

Chimaev's BJJ coach advised him to not spend time inside Burns guard

Been a minute since I watched that fight but I remember him not even trying any td’s. Dude just wanted to bang that fight. Costa hasn’t looked great lately. He fought a guy with no chin that was completely gassed out and couldn’t put him away.

I’m calling it now. Khamzat walks through costa and makes it look easy.

This is true, mostly, Khamzat 'officially' tried 3 takedowns and scored 2, so the narrative he 'struggled' to take down Burns doesn't seem quite right.

He then fought Kevin Holland and went full takedown machine, but did struggle a little bit to take him down AND keep him down, and Khamzat weighed in nearly 10 pounds heavier, right?

Holland has poor takedown defence, always has, and while he didn't really have an answer to the onslaught, Paulo Costa was stuffing Marvin Vettori takedowns.

I know it seems like lazy analysis to say Khamzat will suddenly struggle to take Paulo down, but I think he will to an extent - but Khamzat can chain his takedown attempts really well, and if he's doing that (probably likely), he will get Paulo down whether it's easy or difficult to do.

This is true, mostly, Khamzat 'officially' tried 3 takedowns and scored 2, so the narrative he 'struggled' to take down Burns doesn't seem quite right.

He then fought Kevin Holland and went full takedown machine, but did struggle a little bit to take him down AND keep him down, and Khamzat weighed in nearly 10 pounds heavier, right?

Holland has poor takedown defence, always has, and while he didn't really have an answer to the onslaught, Paulo Costa was stuffing Marvin Vettori takedowns.

I know it seems like lazy analysis to say Khamzat will suddenly struggle to take Paulo down, but I think he will to an extent - but Khamzat can chain his takedown attempts really well, and if he's doing that (probably likely), he will get Paulo down whether it's easy or difficult to do.

He didn't weight 10 pounds heavier then Holland.. It was holland who weight 2 pounds heavier he came in at 180 whereas Chimaev at 178

He didn't weight 10 pounds heavier then Holland.. It was holland who weight 2 pounds heavier he came in at 180 whereas Chimaev at 178

Oh right, sorry, yeah Holland was supposed to be fighting Rodriguez at a catchweight.

It was Jingliang who got screwed over on the weighing scales, right?

Costa hasn't beaten anyone who is still in the UFC, and of all his UFC wins (Bangbus, McLellan, Hall, Hendricks, Romero, Rockhold), only Romero is still an active MMA fighter - everyone else is retired.

Costa is a part-time fighter whose big muscles and "humor" have blinded his fans to the fact that he has already peaked in the Romero fight 4 years ago and will never beat a worthy opponent in the UFC again.

EDIT: an interesting tidbit about the UFC records of Costa's opponents at the time he fought them: 5 of 6 (Yoel being the exception) were sporting losing records in their orevious 4 fights prior to facing Costa, with the average record being 1-3. My point is that even his impressive (on paper) KO wins early in his UFC career came against dudes who were not at their peak.

Last edited:
Khamzat did not want to be on the ground due to submission threat. It is not going to be a problem with Costa.

If Jon struggled to takedown a 1 legged Santos then he will never be able to takedown an Olympic Wrestler or have any success against HWs.

I wonder if styles impact fight results and if size is relative? Could it be possible Khamzat will be heavier at MW and less drained?

He went 2 for 3 on TDs against Burns....

Lol people go full retard about Khamzat.

He's gonna send Costa to the prelims.

Back