If Poirier versus Diaz is a 5 round fight, who wins...?

If Poirier versus Diaz is a 5 round fight, who takes it...?

• Total voters
Not exactly. Max's reach issues and style require him to be right in front of you. Nate rolls with shots. Throws long punches. Has the reach advantage and is very skilled at clinching at the right times to weigh down his opponent and make them carry his weight. Nate will also go to the ground if given the opportunity. I think DP likely wins but the gaps are a lot smaller than they appear. Nate was ready for war even after the beatings from Masvidal and Leon. O doubt Dustin can wear him out anymore than those 2 did
Dustin would probably tear up nate's leg with calf kicks similar to what conor's gameplan was against nate. Without volume nate does not have the power to stop dustin.

Diaz wins the 4th & 5th for sure

Dunno if he can get the finish

Fun fight to watch for me regardless of the naysayers, If the fight is in fact a 3 round tilt I would guess that it’s probably open +250-300 in favor of Poirier, 5 rounds I’m thinking 150-200 Dustin. Besides the length of the fight Poirier will be the righteous heavy favorite, but I’m not quite seeing this fight as a completely one sided beat down. I personally would like to see this fight occur so that the conditions would be favorable enough to even the playing field, hopefully resulting in all out war that we know both men are capable of.

Hopefully Nate is pushing to get this fight contracted as a 5 round comain. If that were the case it would heavily play into Diaz’s favor, especially considering the following circumstances regarding Nate’s past fights.

- When we factor in that it’s just after the holidays I’m guessing both fighters are fat and haven’t been training.

-We do know that Nate’s cardio is usually is at a relatively high level even without a long camp, we definitely know that Cabo Diaz is no joke...LoL

-We’ve never seen Dustin at 170, we have no idea how his cardio will hold up, especially considering that this is super short notice.

-Nate is a tough fight for anyone, he doesn’t give up on himself, will patiently take a beating awaiting for his chance and hang tough until the bitter end.

In reality there are enough unknowns with Dustin fighting at WW that I actually think Nate could pull out a win here, 5 rounds would exponentially increase Nate’s is chances IMO. I honestly don’t have a dog in this fight, but I want to be entertained damn it... I don’t think this is quite the squash match that popular opinion on Sherdog is making it out to be, but of course I’m interested to hear what the boisterous majority has to say.... what say you Sherbro’s...?

Apologies for so many Poll Questions
If you are pricing a 5 rounder at 150-200, I would pound the f*** out of Poirier -200.
He's a big favorite, much bigger than 2:1.

Nate Diaz being good in 5 round fights is a myth. Dustin beat Max and Hooker in long brutal 5 round fights. I’m going with Dustin by pretty easy decision.

Poirier mixes in takedowns and low kicks

Dustin’s been in some wars, I think his cardio is underrated and frankly I think Diaz’s cardio is overrated. Dustin’s boxing has looked on point recently and by contrast Diaz’s has looked worse his last couple fights. On top of that Dustin has fought against southpaws way more recently than Diaz has, I think the southpaw advantage gets overlooked here a lot.

Having said all that, I still think Dustin could lose if he chooses to play on the ground with Diaz for too long. I don’t think Nate can take him down but if Dustin decides to mix it up just for the sake of it I think that’s Nate’s best chance of winning, pulling off an out of nowhere sub. But I really don’t think cardio will be a factor.

Nate's been a punching bag in recent years more so than the active volume of before. Against Mas, Leon and early against Conor. Sits back and takes the shots without mounting much offense himself. Poirier is an active starter and hits very hard. Also has the cardio to go 5 rounds, win the later rounds.

The thing for Nate is length, chin and cardio in a boxing match, which this basically is. Punch him 100 times, he stays in the fight, remains a threat, like against Leon. So you can't mess up against him, need to be consistent. And if it hits the ground Nate is legit there. Poirier is a black belt, but there is a big difference in grappling ability, say it hits the ground.

Nate is a mediocre/below average fighter — AT BEST.

No idea why anyone thinks otherwise.

Porier would finish him. Nate’s past his prime and doesn’t compete much anymore. Aside from that both him and his brother never adapted to leg kicks. Dustin probably blows his calf up like he did Conor

I’m seeing a few posts saying that Diaz hasn’t won any of the 5 round fights that have went the distance, this is true... Nate is actually 0-3 in 5 round fights, but this statement lacks substance and is most definitely not telling the entire story, so let’s review.

Diaz was absolutely dominated by Bendo during his first 5 rounder and only shot at the title, the fight was a blow out UD loss. He was very competitive in the McGregor 2 fight that he had Conor gassed and instead of pressuring he settled for taunting and allowed it to go to the scorecards... (Insert Dana White’s quote about “never putting it in the hands of the judges”) Nate lost by split decision. As we know, in his last fight Nate was masterclassesd by Edwards for 24 minutes... that is up until the point that he rocked and staggered Leon. For the record Nate conceivably could’ve finished him had he chose to pressure instead of taunting, sounds familiar...? So for the record it’s known that Nate does keep what power he has late into 5 round fights.

Let’s do a summation,

Cliffs for TLDR guys.... Nate Diaz is 0-3 in 5 round fights, a title fight with Bendo that he was beat pilled to post in, the next fight he was very competitive with McGregor(some think he won the fight), officially he lost by SD. In the Edwards fight Nate stumbles him late, resulting in Leon literally holding on from being finished for the very last minute of the fight, Edwards to get the UD win.

Needless to say it’s disingenuous to simply say that Nate Diaz is 0-3 in 5 round fights... fun fact, I’m not even a Diaz fan, however I am objective, just saying...

Poirier edges out a UD, everyone cries robbery

Nate Diaz is a thing of the past who's never had the skills to beat top competition. Maybe could be a 155 lb gatekeeper at best now

So no, he doesn't have a thing for the second best 155er in the world

Diaz gets ground and pounded a lot, imho.

Unless Dustin wants to keep it standing, which would be dangerous. I'd take Nate.

I’m seeing a few posts saying that Diaz hasn’t won any of the 5 round fights that have went the distance, this is true... Nate is actually 0-3 in 5 round fights, but this statement lacks substance and is most definitely not telling the entire story, so let’s review.

Diaz was absolutely dominated by Bendo during his first 5 rounder and only shot at the title, the fight was a blow out UD loss. He was very competitive in the McGregor 2 fight that he had Conor gassed and instead of pressuring he settled for taunting and allowed it to go to the scorecards... (Insert Dana White’s quote about “never putting it in the hands of the judges”) Nate lost by split decision. As we know, in his last fight Nate was masterclassesd by Edwards for 24 minutes... that is up until the point that he rocked and staggered Leon. For the record Nate conceivably could’ve finished him had he chose to pressure instead of taunting, sounds familiar...? So for the record it’s known that Nate does keep what power he has late into 5 round fights.

Let’s do a summation,

Cliffs for TLDR guys.... Nate Diaz is 0-3 in 5 round fights, a title fight with Bendo that he was beat pilled to post in, the next fight he was very competitive with McGregor(some think he won the fight), officially he lost by SD. In the Edwards fight Nate stumbles him late, resulting in Leon literally holding on from being finished for the very last minute of the fight, Edwards to get the UD win.

Needless to say it’s disingenuous to simply say that Nate Diaz is 0-3 in 5 round fights... fun fact, I’m not even a Diaz fan, however I am objective, just saying...

So he got dominated in one 5 rounder, had one good punch in another, and won round 5 against Conor (he lost round 4 on all judges cards)

That still does not give much confidence to Diaz in a 5 round fight though.......in the 3 times he's gone 4 and 5 (6 rounds say) he's only won one round of those 6.

So he got dominated in one 5 rounder, had one good punch in another, and won round 5 against Conor (he lost round 4 on all judges cards)

That still does not give much confidence to Diaz in a 5 round fight though.......
Conor fan detected

Dustin would probably tear up nate's leg with calf kicks similar to what conor's gameplan was against nate. Without volume nate does not have the power to stop dustin.
It's possible but nate has shown some improved checking ability and Nate has rocked Miller, MJ, Conor, Leon , Cowboy and some others with his 1-2 combo, and has more power at 170. He could definitely but Dustin, but we won't know til we see it

Back