If Strickland beats Izzy, does that become the greatest upset in UFC history?

I think it would still go to GSP/Serra, but it would definitely be up there with the others on your list.
Strickland IMO has little to no paths to victory, Izzy's a nightmare matchup for him stylistically.

Pena/Nunes happened.

Strickland is 8-2, arguably 9-1 in his last 10. Relevant wins over Hermanson, Allen, & Imavov. And even if you didn't score the Cannonier fight for him(I hadn't 48-47 Cannonier), he did much better than Vettori did vs the same version of Cannonier.

He's legit 1 of the 5 best MW behind Izzy, DDP, & Rob. Same level as Cannonier.

Pena was like 2-2 in her last 4 leading into the Nunes fight & had been sub'd by GdR.

Last edited:
Not talking betting #'s - just a feels thing...

Bigger than Serra over GSP?
Holm over Rousey?
Weidman over Silva?
Gonzaga over Cro Cop?
Edwards-Usman 2?
Nunes Pena
Izzy is indeed a hard matchup for Sean, but I wouldnt count him out

Jones beating Shogun made me the most upset in UFC history.

-1.gif

Idk? Off the top of my head im not sure what the other gambling lines were for the big upsets. It would be a big one forsure.
Conor/Nate was a pretty good one too. Coming off a yacht in Cabo

Nothing tops Bisping/Rockhold for me though. Short notice fight, against a guy who dominated him and the way he won & presser after is legendary.

I'd be surprised but will say, other opponents of Izzy would've surprised me more had they won.

I def. favor Izzy and his style, but its not impossible for Strickland to make it at least competitive. A win does seem far fetched and would absolutely be an upset.

That said, it steel wouldn't be a massive shock or anything. We've seen Izzy lose twice now so maybe that plays a factor?

No

In terms of betting line upsets in title fights, Pena/Nunes, Holm/Rousey, Serra/GSP, Rose/Joanna, Dillashaw/Barao, and Grasso/Shevchenko were all bigger. Probably a couple more I'm missing.

It would probably be in the top 10 but I don't think it would the greatest upset ever.

Nunes/Pena
GSP/Serra
Rockhold/Bisping

are all greater IMO.

Jones beating Shogun made me the most upset in UFC history.

-1.gif

Me too. It was just such a 1 sided fight, most of all…so it was sickening. I can’t help but think the 05’ Grand Prix Shogun would’ve done much, much better. He wasn’t washed obviously but a slugger, not as dynamic before the knees and elbow injuries.

Not talking betting #'s - just a feels thing...

Bigger than Serra over GSP?
Holm over Rousey?
Weidman over Silva?
Gonzaga over Cro Cop?
Edwards-Usman 2?

It will definitely be up there...

Even a decision win for Izzy id consider it a great performance by Strickland...

He shouldn't make it

That fight just wouldn't stop. The fight was just about a minute and a half from being a decision. Brutal.
Dan and Dos Anjos have unbelievable strength-of-schedule... Even more so for Dan, when you consider he fought across so many weight classes.
LEGEND.
a 185er that has wins over Fedor and Nogueira... Jesus fucking Christ...
7IkM.gif

Back