If Tony Ferguson loses this weekend, he will tie BJ Penn's record for most consecutive losses in the UFC

Davidjacksonjones

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

B.J. Penn (16-14-2 MMA, 12-13-2 UFC) suffered his seventh consecutive loss to extend the longest skid of his career. He hasn’t earned a victory since November 2010. Penn’s seven-fight UFC losing skid is the longest in company history. Penn’s eight-fight UFC winless skid is the longest in UFC history.

BJ Penn's 7 fight lose streak spanned over about 8 years, whereas if Ferguson loses it would be just over 3 years

What's even crazier is that prior to starting his losing streak, Tony Ferguson is tied (Khabib Nurmagomedov & Islam Makhachev) for the longest win streak in UFC Lightweight division history

Ferguson's last win was against Donald Cerrone in 2019, and since then he has lost to Justin Gaethje, Charles Oliveira, Beneil Dariush, Michael Chandler, Nate Diaz and Bobby Green (to be fair to Ferg that's a killer list of fighters)

What do you guys think? Will Tony Ferguson tie BJ Penn's record for most losses in a row in the UFC? Or will he beat Paddy Pimblett and break his losing curse?

1702451985844.png

I’m torn. On one side it would be fun if he beats Paddy, on the other, he needs to get BJ’s record. Actually, it is a win-win situation.
I think Tony Ferguson needs two losses to really surpass BJ Penn's loss record, because BJ Penn does have a draw before his losing streak, so he is winless in 8 while Ferguson would be winless in 7. But then again Ferg did it in 3 years which makes his losing streak more impressive

B.J. Penn (16-14-2 MMA, 12-13-2 UFC) suffered his seventh consecutive loss to extend the longest skid of his career. He hasn’t earned a victory since November 2010. Penn’s seven-fight UFC losing skid is the longest in company history. Penn’s eight-fight UFC winless skid is the longest in UFC history.

BJ Penn's 7 fight lose streak spanned over about 8 years, whereas if Ferguson loses it would be just over 3 years

What's even crazier is that prior to starting his losing streak, Tony Ferguson is tied (Khabib Nurmagomedov & Islam Makhachev) for the longest win streak in UFC Lightweight division history

Ferguson's last win was against Donald Cerrone in 2019, and since then he has lost to Justin Gaethje, Charles Oliveira, Beneil Dariush, Michael Chandler, Nate Diaz and Bobby Green (to be fair to Ferg that's a killer list of fighters)

What do you guys think? Will Tony Ferguson tie BJ Penn's record for most losses in a row in the UFC? Or will he beat Paddy Pimblett and break his losing curse?

View attachment 1016518

In 155 division not UFC altogether

As a fan of Tony I wouldn't mind a loss. It reminds me of Browns fans when they were on their last game going 0-15. They were actually hoping for a loss. If you're going to lose might as well be the best at it. Why stop and the second longest losing streak in the division. Tony's situation is a lot different than BJs. Penn they were trying to get him a win at the time and not build anyone up. I guess you could say Green was that for Tony but not close to giving Penn Siver and Guida.

The two most over rated LWs in history, still have bums on this site that think they could have beaten Khabib. Those two wouldn't even get past the likes of Conor, Justin and Dustin. Without tickling his brain, Tony wouldn't have gotten past RDA.

I think Tony Ferguson needs two losses to really surpass BJ Penn's loss record, because BJ Penn does have a draw before his losing streak, so he is winless in 8 while Ferguson would be winless in 7. But then again Ferg did it in 3 years which makes his losing streak more impressive
Here’s a toast to 8 then.
<GinJuice>

Question for ya'll: in regards to BJ and Alveys losing streaks. Both men had a draw in the losing streak

Question: Does the placement of the draw matter?

BJ's was at the very beginning and Alvey's was right in the middle of the losing streak but Alvey has one more loss. Reason i ask is people have said BJ still holds the record because the draw was at the beginning and alveys was in the middle breaking up the losing streak. I don't think the placement matters at all because it's not a loss or a win it's basically a no contest at that point so the losses are still consecutive either way???

Question for ya'll: in regards to BJ and Alveys losing streaks. Both men had a draw in the losing streak

BJ's was at the very beginning and Alvey's was right in the middle of the losing streak but Alvey has one more loss. Reason i ask is people have said BJ still holds the record because the draw was at the beginning and alveys was in the middle breaking up the losing streak. I don't think the placement matters at all because it's not a loss or a win it's basically a no contest at that point so the losses are still consecutive either way???
Thats a very interesting question. Without that draw, Sam Alvey would have the record at 8 losses in a row.

I guess it depends on how the question is phrased. If its the record for most winless streak its Sam Alvey, but for most losses in a row its technically BJ Penn, since having a draw makes it no longer 8 in a row. But you got a point that a draw might not count since its not a win or loss

also he is currently tied with Donald Cerrone at 6 losses in a row but Donald has a no contest thrown in the mix so seven winless fights does that trump Tony then? :p

Nah because it isn't a NC, a draw is its own thing and it "counts" (unlike a NC which is discarded as invalid)... a draw being between two points on the line of how good the result is: worse than a win but better than a SD loss, but still very much a definitive result on the line unlike a NC.

Nah because it isn't a NC, a draw is its own thing and it "counts" (unlike a NC which is discarded as invalid)... a draw being between two points on the line of how good the result is: worse than a win but better than a SD loss, but still very much a definitive result on the line unlike a NC.
There are different types of draws though so that can change the landscape.

draws.png

A split draw may as well be a loss. imho

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back