If you had to work outside, would you rather it be extremely hot or extremely cold?

If you had to work outside, would you rather it be extremely hot or extremely cold?

• Total voters
the fact that you're doing construction, it's likely that it will feel hot when you're in the direct sun

I know it would suck to build a roof on a hot summer, but the alternative freeze would probably be worse. All that bulky clothing and icy roof, you're looking to get killed.

Haha, you were suffering 109 every day we were 116 there or there abouts everyday but no one talks about Ridgecrest because we're a small town off t he Mojave and Death Fucking Valley :D
You live in Ridgecrest now? That's where all the earthquakes happen!

The heat. You can always compensate for the heat with fluids and whatnot(within reason, obviously), and it's just easier to do most jobs, since you're not all bundled up with thick ass gloves n' shit, and dealing with frozen parts on whatever the fuck it is you're working on. Not to mention that the cold is just miserable. The heat ain't the greatest either, but I'll take it over freezing my ass off.

Cold.

With cold, you can layer up and get warm. With hot, once you're down to base layer or skin, there's nowhere left to go. I work outside every day. I've worked in -70 (with windchill) and +43. Believe me when I say both sucked shit. But the cold was more bearable.

I've done both. Hot was miserable, but I was still functional. Cold I couldn't even function right.

You can dress appropriately for the cold but there is no way to cool off in the heat.
Actually. Shade, water, taking layers off, pouring water on yourself.

In the cold, you can only add so many layers before you look like Kenny from Southpark.
Both suck and it really is preference though.

Did loads of patrols through the Fallujah countryside in the middle of summer where it regularly got over 120 F. So hot our water bottle water was hot like coffee. You had to pour water on a sock, then put a full hot bottle inside the wet sock to cool it enough to even drink without burning your mouth. I remember loading up water for patrols with a camelback, two canteens, two waterbottles in each cargo pocket and carrying one in my hand and by the time we would finish I would have just one canteen of water left. Once I was totally out, that was just a 3 hour foot patrol. The breeze felt like the air when you open an oven blowing in your face. I would still take that over the worst days doing the same stuff in the freezing cold. I can at least sleep in the heat.

The cold. Face numb, shivering so hard it begins to hurt after a while. Your jaw starts to hurt it clatters so much for so long. Fingers numb so you can barely operate, shooting and reloading you are just guessing because you cant feel anything. You can't sleep because you are shaking so bad. Then, the second you do start to warm up, it all hurts. Your fingers just ache and ache.

Actually. Shade, water, taking layers off, pouring water on yourself.

In the cold, you can only add so many layers before you look like Kenny from Southpark.
Both suck and it really is preference though.

Did loads of patrols through the Fallujah countryside in the middle of summer where it regularly got over 120 F. So hot our water bottle water was hot like coffee. You had to pour water on a sock, then put a full hot bottle inside the wet sock to cool it enough to even drink without burning your mouth. I remember loading up water for patrols with a camelback, two canteens, two waterbottles in each cargo pocket and carrying one in my hand and by the time we would finish I would have just one canteen of water left. Once I was totally out, that was just a 3 hour foot patrol. The breeze felt like the air when you open an oven blowing in your face. I would still take that over the worst days doing the same stuff in the freezing cold. I can at least sleep in the heat.

The cold. Face numb, shivering so hard it begins to hurt after a while. Your jaw starts to hurt it clatters so much for so long. Fingers numb so you can barely operate, shooting and reloading you are just guessing because you cant feel anything. You can't sleep because you are shaking so bad. Then, the second you do start to warm up, it all hurts. Your fingers just ache and ache.
Man — what you described for the heat sounds like the worst possible environment ever. I still pick cold. I’m in Texas now and it’s been over 100 for the last 6 weeks and I’ve become accustomed to it. However, I can’t imagine working outside all day in this shit.

Done both. This is tough....

Ice breaking in the dead of winter on the Great Lakes and public safety patrols on desert rivers in the summer. (Funny thing...in my 21 year career, the two extremes are less than a year apart from one another.. )

Cold.

I wouldn't like either. The cold though zaps my energy and I'm not the most energetic person as is all to often having an auto immune condition. I could work for awhile in the heat pacing myself.

I wouldn't like either. The cold though zaps my energy and I'm not the most energetic person as is all to often having an auto immune condition. I could work for awhile in the heat pacing myself.
You think the cold zaps your energy. Try ripping shingles off a roof in 100F + degrees and see how fast your energy gets zapped. Or carrying 80lb bundles of shingle up a 25ft ladder , or if your lucky and got them deleivered on the roof, try carring bundles from one spot to another all day.

Haha, you were suffering 109 every day we were 116 there or there abouts everyday but no one talks about Ridgecrest because we're a small town off t he Mojave and Death Fucking Valley :D

Ridgecrest is fucking horrible

Depends on context. I work in extreme heat and humidity at times, often remote. It can knock you around real quick, but you can work around it. You get a respite at night.

Extreme cold, it can kill you if you make mistakes and are poorly equipped. In hours.

I can wear t-shirts fine until 35 degree F

I've worked in server rooms all my life

fite me

Definitely hot. Being cold makes everything harder to do. Your fingers don’t like to work right in the cold

I think this can depend on age as well. Cold can be horrible with age and old injuries.

Back