If you were Anthony Smith, would you have tapped to strikes?

Either given my neck up for the choke or probably just covered up and stopped moving to give the ref a clear cut TKO call. I believe Smith did a version of that in the final round after his corner didn't save him.

The man was taking a brutal beating yesterday and I felt genuinely sorry for him.

If I were in that position, I definitely would've tapped to strikes.

What would you have done?
Per Sherdog logic, he basically tapped to strikes when he was mentioning the teeth thing since that implied he wanted out.

Sherdog logic.

If we're being 100% honest, no I don't think I would. Not because im "tough" or have a high tolerence for pain. It's knowing that if I tap to strikes it could very well be the moment that sends my career down the toilet. Not only does it look bad in the eyes of the fans and fighters, financially I could see a HIGH downside to tapping to strikes. Especially if you are a top 10 fighter in the UFC.

I don't think I would have tapped......BUT I would have turtled up and stopped fighting back basically forcing the ref to stop it. The problem was the ref couldn't really stop it b/c Smith kept changing positions or would go for a sudden takedown. If Smith had just curled up and not moved the ref wanted to call it.

The man was taking a brutal beating yesterday and I felt genuinely sorry for him.

If I were in that position, I definitely would've tapped to strikes.

What would you have done?

Id like to believe id keep going as long as i felt i could turn it around..i wouldnt keep fighting for the sole reason of not quitting...there has to be more to it then just not being the guy who gave up...if i feel like i can keep going and win i will

This ofocurse a hard question to answer cuz i dont know how glovers shots felt ..i could of welted under the shots ...

Ive trained in martial arts for years , and want to compete in mma soon myself this would be my best answer having not felt glovers power

Would I? Idk theoretically I wouldn't but that was a gruesome amount of punishment dealt to smith. Beaten till the teeth are falling out your mouth and eyes swelling shut, I think most any human would tap out. Honestly I would probably just curl up and hope the ref stops it and then berate my corner for thinking I should've continued after the 4th. I mean Anthony gets paid being a fighter. Fighting mentally and physically in the cage. It's his corner's duty to save him from himself and make the right decision. I'd hope my corner team would have the integrity to save me from myself if I were Anthony

I don't think I would have tapped......BUT I would have turtled up and stopped fighting back basically forcing the ref to stop it. The problem was the ref couldn't really stop it b/c Smith kept changing positions or would go for a sudden takedown. If Smith had just curled up and not moved the ref wanted to call it.

Yup..he chose to continue , everyone crying about the fight seems to forget it was his own doing

Yup..he chose to continue , everyone crying about the fight seems to forget it was his own doing

To be fair I do think his corner let him down big time. The fighter is going to keep fighting, especially a name like LionHeart. Plus I don't know his mental condition at the time if he was autopilot. The corner is there to protect their fighter when he can't protect himself. BUT Smith did have every chance to quit on his own and nobody would have questioned his heart or toughness.

No. But if I stopped defending the choke I probably would have been submitted. Actually, hell naw, if I was losing and my teeth felt loose, I probably would have grabbed my face in pain. I would think the ref would jump in at that point.

To be fair I do think his corner let him down big time. The fighter is going to keep fighting, especially a name like LionHeart. Plus I don't know his mental condition at the time if he was autopilot. The corner is there to protect their fighter when he can't protect himself. BUT Smith did have every chance to quit on his own and nobody would have questioned his heart or toughness.

His corner knows him best....perhaps they spoke before the fight not to stop it no matter what or have some sort of conditions prep planned in order for the corner to stop it...or maybe the corner will never call it but smith trust them otherwise he could change coaches..its his choice whos in his corner and you have to trust your corner or your fucked

Never tap to strikes.
"The only thing we have to fear is, fear itself."
KenFlo

His corner knows him best....perhaps they spoke before the fight not to stop it no matter what or have some sort of conditions prep planned in order for the corner to stop it...or maybe the corner will never call it but smith trust them otherwise he could change coaches..its his choice whos in his corner and you have to trust your corner or your fucked

I understand the whole "don't stop the fight let me go out how I want to go out". But honestly the corner is there to protect the fighter. I'd rather have a friend and teammate PISSED at me b/c I stopped it between rounds 4/5 vs sleeping at night knowing the damage I added to him b/c I sent him back out there. But, I'm not a pro MMA fighter. I'm just going on my common sense and what poeple like DC were saying.

Bob Sapp, a human gorilla taps after 2 strikes, monsters like GSP and Joanna tap, and you ask a bunch of dudes on the internet, 99% who never had a fight, if they would get brutalized until their teeth fall out

I understand the whole "don't stop the fight let me go out how I want to go out". But honestly the corner is there to protect the fighter. I'd rather have a friend and teammate PISSED at me b/c I stopped it between rounds 4/5 vs sleeping at night knowing the damage I added to him b/c I sent him back out there. But, I'm not a pro MMA fighter. I'm just going on my common sense and what poeple like DC were saying.

Yeah i dunno my mindset might be different cuz i am a martial artist myself and i want to fight mma and coach eventually too .. I believe its up to them(fighter) in most cases..i think stopping the fight can cause alot problems within a gym and fighters mental health the whole i was doing so bad i needed to be saved type thing..maybe itll rattle him into thinking maybe ive lost it or im not that good.. Vs going out on his terms is somewhat easier to swallow ..less mental impact cuz they gave it there all..but fighting is dangerous game..u can get whooped badly..after a loss like that smith should reassess things and make changes so hes not in that situation again..thats most important regardless of how the fight went down

Yeah i dunno my mindset might be different cuz i am a martial artist myself and i want to fight mma and coach eventually too .. I believe its up to them(fighter) in most cases..i think stopping the fight can cause alot problems within a gym and fighters mental health the whole i was doing so bad i needed to be saved type thing..maybe itll rattle him into thinking maybe ive lost it or im not that good.. Vs going out on his terms is somewhat easier to swallow ..less mental impact cuz they gave it there all..but fighting is dangerous game..u can get whooped badly..after a loss like that smith should reassess things and make changes so hes not in that situation again..thats most important regardless of how the fight went down

That's a really good point of view about the mentality and gym relationships. Like you said earlier, we don't know Smith's relationship with his cornermen. From what I've read online Smith said he has no problem with his corner or the ref. Or course he isn't going to throw his corner under the bus but still.

They go into it knowing they could get badly injured. I know Enson Inoue always said he went in knowing he might and willing to actually die in the ring for each fight. I know this isn't the same day and age but we don't know Smith's mindset. That's why he's a fighter and I'm at home writing on a forum :)

That's a really good point of view about the mentality and gym relationships. Like you said earlier, we don't know Smith's relationship with his cornermen. From what I've read online Smith said he has no problem with his corner or the ref. Or course he isn't going to throw his corner under the bus but still.

They go into it knowing they could get badly injured. I know Enson Inoue always said he went in knowing he might and willing to actually die in the ring for each fight. I know this isn't the same day and age but we don't know Smith's mindset. That's why he's a fighter and I'm at home writing on a forum :)

Im not against coaches stopping it, sometimes its a good idea...ruffus has stopped fights at good times for pettis and stuff..and bj penn stoppage against st.pierre was good to..theres a time and place for everything im not promoting death matches lol i am merely saying its really in the hands of the fighter and there coaches...fighters show when there done .. You cant lie your way through real combat sports thats what makes it so great its pure..your either gunna quit or keep.going till you get stopped you cant flub your way thru to the end ...

If we're being 100% honest, no I don't think I would. Not because im "tough" or have a high tolerence for pain. It's knowing that if I tap to strikes it could very well be the moment that sends my career down the toilet. Not only does it look bad in the eyes of the fans and fighters, financially I could see a HIGH downside to tapping to strikes. Especially if you are a top 10 fighter in the UFC.
I agree with you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardscarf
Back