In April fast-food workers in Cali will get $20 an hour

I think you're confusing me with someone else. Not talking about anything like this anyway. Of course SS is a transfer. I don't really want to argue commonly accepted definitions here, though.

You're right, now that the search function works it looks like it was Panamaican that posted it during an exchange we were all involved in about childhood hunger.

Judgement day is upon us. Only a few more days until the minimum wage goes to $20 an hour in California. I’m not ready to pay $12 for a pretzel from Auntie Anne’s.

There's not really a good way to get costs down once they've run wild. We've never cut minimum wage, so we're stuck with this. Most of the time, companies just find ways to get around it. Illegal immigrant labor or zero hour contract kind of stuff.

• In April, California fast-food workers are set to get a nearly 30% pay bump to $20 an hour.
  • Fast-food chains such as Chipotle say they'll raise prices to offset the state's higher labor costs.
  • Two Pizza Hut franchisees are laying off more than 1,200 delivery drivers in California.
I’m all for people making more money, but food prices in Cali are about to skyrocket! It’s already bad as it is, but can you imagine paying $30 for a combo at a fast-food joint?

DC has a minimum wage of $17.50 and fast food prices have not skyrocketed. Why would CA be so different?

Reactions: lsa
It's worse than the OP states, as the bill includes mandatory minimum increases every year over the next ~8 years or so.

Edit: After reading the bill more closely, this won't change anything. It only applies to corporate "fast serve" restaurants with 60+ locations. It's just a maneuver to push out competitors for franchises. They even threatened to hold franchising corporations legally liable for franchise labor violations if they fought. (Ex. the McDonald's company would have been fined for any labor laws a independent owner/operator committed while paying to use the McDonalds brand). This basically just pushes the corporate-owned stores out of the California market.

They suckered those poor people into thinking they are going to get more money, when all most of them are going to get is fired. And the ones that keep their jobs won't get raises anyway.
To some extent I hope this creates some space for local businesses but I don't think that will happen. In reality this will become the new minimum wage across the food industry because of the labor shortage.

Went and got some goat n out for lunch earlier this week in honor of this thread.

$15 in this day and age is a steal

IMG-6590.jpg

Went and got some goat n out for lunch earlier this week in honor of this thread.

$15 in this day and age is a steal

IMG-6590.jpg
3x3?

Goat for sure and the only fast food I eat

And their hours cut in half. If not fired outright.

“The real minimum wage is always zero”

Many will be making that soon

That's what happened in Alberta when the failed NDP government raised minimum wage before they got the boot. Basically everyone who worked low paying jobs got cut to part time.

• In April, California fast-food workers are set to get a nearly 30% pay bump to $20 an hour.
  • Fast-food chains such as Chipotle say they'll raise prices to offset the state's higher labor costs.
  • Two Pizza Hut franchisees are laying off more than 1,200 delivery drivers in California.
I’m all for people making more money, but food prices in Cali are about to skyrocket! It’s already bad as it is, but can you imagine paying $30 for a combo at a fast-food joint?
don't go to them, it's not good for you anyways.

In my experience working fast food, there's usually like 5-6 people standing around for a job 2 competent people can do. Might take slightly longer, but I think you'll see the competent people stay and get paid better and they will just cut down to the bare minimum to get the job done, which will make wait times longer.

Places that do not have those competent people will turn into complete shit shows. Like 40 minutes wait for cold shit food missing half the items.
I do delivery and their are all sorts of places with many different quality of workers. Some places I hate going to but I will if it's convenient and I need the dough. Some places it's perfectly acceptable to be lazy, complaining, shit talking and also make you wait forever, other places are on top of things and have things ready almost every time I show up. Uber doesn't penalize the shitty places so I keep getting requests but they really get in the way. Then.., my town raised delivery prices ridiculously too, which has hurt delivery badly, it's slow as hell when I used to be able to get as much work as I wanted..But, even with that, there is the positive effect, the cheap, lazy college students who don't want to walk two blocks don't order as often and the poor, nasty ass, subsidized housing people with the shitty attitudes don't order as much.

I blame the owners and managers when these places are run shoddily, with often mouthy, angry workers. One thing I know is that you can't change them.

My son, going to college, works at Mountain Mike's Pizza (great pizza by the way). He already makes $15.50 + Tips (he delivers often). His average is about $23.00 an hour, which is pretty amazing for no skills. I wonder what happens in April... mass layoffs? He will be fine as he is already picking up video editing / production work, which has been his joy since editing COD trick shot videos as a 6th grader syncing music to movements. He's has amazing skills, so he'll be fine, but others? Yikes. If this goes like Puerto Rico that did it, the youth will become unemployed in mass numbers. Meahwhile, everything becomes more expensive. It's begging for inflation.
I'm learning film stuff, hoping there will be work for that as an independent worker. My thinking is, not many people will take the time to learn aperture, sound, lighting, etc.., and that it won't be something that's already over saturated with people who can do the job.

I'm learning film stuff, hoping there will be work for that as an independent worker. My thinking is, not many people will take the time to learn aperture, sound, lighting, etc.., and that it won't be something that's already over saturated with people who can do the job.

Those are the things my son has been learning over the last few years. He's been a video editor Adobe Premier Pro and After Effects for years. He's been working on the actually story boarding, videography, lighting, etc. to round out his skills. I think you're right, there is going to be more and more need hear and while the AI helps, it cannot produce the pieces as well as the humans, but is a good tool for certain parts of the final product.

Those are the things my son has been learning over the last few years. He's been a video editor Adobe Premier Pro and After Effects for years. He's been working on the actually story boarding, videography, lighting, etc. to round out his skills. I think you're right, there is going to be more and more need hear and while the AI helps, it cannot produce the pieces as well as the humans, but is a good tool for certain parts of the final product.
It's incredibly technical stuff and really is, as a whole, too much for any one person to handle in terms of actually producing movies but I'm thinking if I can get a great camera I might have a shot to at least start making better money than I am without having to go begging for a better job or dealing with all that abusive bullshit we all have to live with. We'll see.

And their hours cut in half. If not fired outright.

“The real minimum wage is always zero”

Many will be making that soon
You can't run a fast food chain with half of current staffing, not even automation can fill that gap.
Is that going to be $20/hr minimum for illegal aliens too?
If they aren't working under the table. Otherwise, Social Security gets a little boost.

Back