Incredible discovery about Fadda vs Gracie challenge. The real result, Gracies 7-3 Fadda. 4 draws

Salves sod Iqueac

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Incredible discovery about Fadda vs Gracie challenge. The real result. Gracies, 7 wins. Fadda, 3 wins. And 4 draws.

It seems that there is also something about Fadda being of the Gracioe lineage after all.

You are annoyed by history?
The history of what exactly?

BJJ is a meritocratic art form. The "who" is less important than the "what" or the "how". I am extremely interested in the development and history of techniques and methods. This is a tribal squabble with little relevance to the development of the art.

It’s history, it’s important, of course it’s important, not to draw any conclusions or anything, but is a big part of the Bjj culture, specially the antifootlock thing... at least if you are into the Bjj culture and stuff

The history of what exactly?

BJJ is a meritocratic art form. The "who" is less important than the "what" or the "how". I am extremely interested in the development and history of techniques and methods. This is a tribal squabble with little relevance to the development of the art.
It may be true that the "what" or "how" is more important, but everything is important from a historical perspective. A true historian would probably also care about other factors such as the general political or cultural climate in Brazil at that time. I don't care enough about this stuff to spend my time reading about it, but I don't think it's a waste of time for others to look into.

It may be true that the "what" or "how" is more important, but everything is important from a historical perspective. A true historian would probably also care about other factors such as the general political or cultural climate in Brazil at that time. I don't care enough about this stuff to spend my time reading about it, but I don't think it's a waste of time for others to look into.
I think at the end of the day some people care about it and some people don’t. There is definitely a historical aspect to it but there is also kind of a gossip aspect of it. Some people really like bjj gossip and it may add to their enjoyment of watching bjj as a sport. Some people just like the gossip. I myself don’t live it but do find it kind of entertaining. I wish somebody would create a shoe called dojo storm where guys can squash their needs by having a match. First would be ibjff rules. The next would be ebi rules.

But this was a good read. Thanks for posting it.

I thought that the faddas swept the gracies...

I thought that the faddas swept the gracies...

Dunno about a sweep, but I thought Fadda won most of them, not all, to which Helio gave his famous quote “It takes a Fadda to show that jiu Jitsu doesn’t belong to just one family” or something like that.

Plus Helio saying footlocks are a “suburban” technique since his guys got caught in several of them.

Usually when you win most the matches, you don’t say stuff like that, usually the overall loser does, but then, I didn’t try and research it at all.

Don’t know how accurate this is but Wikipedia says the Fadda’s won the overall matchups as reported in O’ Globo, 1951. Again, I’m not sure this is accurate, just saying. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gracie_Challenge

Last edited:
Back