Xbox Indiana Jones and the Great Circle

Let's hope by "modern audiences" this guy means the younger generation not overly familiar with Indy.

If he's referencing the tiny to nonexistent modern audience that Disney and so many others ruined their companies for then... We all know how that will play out.

I don't care who fucks who, or what people believe in, just make good content please. Hopefully this game is as good as it looks. Regardless, no preorders folks.

btw, I wonder if they'd allow a conservative developer to wear a MAGA hat in one of these promos lol. They really shouldn't, as I don't get why any company would want their employees sporting anything political in one of these things. They probably lost a few sales already from this guy alone.
With these freaks it's always the latter.

This is going to be dog shit like everything the corpse of George Lucas' company puts out.

this is meant to be a genre not a movie series

Looks cool, but unless it's on playstation I'm out.
Yeah same and it's not even because of money. I just don't have time to play another console. I'll probably even skip the next Nintendo console even though I have a bunch of Switch games.

Yeah same and it's not even because of money. I just don't have time to play another console. I'll probably even skip the next Nintendo console even though I have a bunch of Switch games.

My wife insisted on a Wii years ago against my opinion.... mainly for the kids. But they never played with it after that first few months. The best game being bowling with a group of friends and alcohol. Next time around I insisted on PS5. We're all still playing it.

Looks fun and I'll play it but I bet it will bomb. I just don't think millennials/zoomers care whatsoever about Indiana Jones. Only people 40+ are likely going to be interested.
Maybe but millennials are old dude. I'm in my upper 30s and I'm a millennial.

Honestly, it sucks that a dude wearing a rainbow shirt causes this kind of reaction, but it isnt coming out of nowhere. Listening to what he said, nothing stuck out in and of itself as a danger sign, so we're essentially judging a book by its a cover. A giant, rainbow cover, with a rainbow pin on top of it.

I liked the trailer. I'm going to remain optimistic for the time being.

Honestly, it sucks that a dude wearing a rainbow shirt causes this kind of reaction, but it isnt coming out of nowhere. Listening to what he said, nothing stuck out in and of itself as a danger sign, so we're essentially judging a book by its a cover. A giant, rainbow cover, with a rainbow pin on top of it.

I liked the trailer. I'm going to remain optimistic for the time being.
You have to put two and two together. He's wearing a pride flag, looks like a they/them and says that Indiana Jones needs to cater towards a modern audience - ie, it's out of touch and Indy needs to be more progressive and appeal to people like in their circles. This has been happening throughout the entertainment world for years now.

You have activists in these positions instead of story tellers and people that are passionate about games/movies. They are more concerned with their activist cause and getting high fives from their bubble than entertainment and delivering to fans what they expect of the franchise. Everything has to be destroyed and re-created in their image. It's very narcissistic.

Skimmed the thread did anyone mention that Todd "sweet lil lies" Howard is heading this project, which is a bit weird cause Machine isn't a direct subsidiary under Bugthesda but I guess there is some crossover.

He did do some licensed games earlier in his career like Terminator.

You have to put two and two together. He's wearing a pride flag, looks like a they/them and says that Indiana Jones needs to cater towards a modern audience - ie, it's out of touch and Indy needs to be more progressive and appeal to people like in their circles. This has been happening throughout the entertainment world for years now.

You have activists in these positions instead of story tellers and people that are passionate about games/movies. They are more concerned with their activist cause and getting high fives from their bubble than entertainment and delivering to fans what they expect of the franchise. Everything has to be destroyed and re-created in their image. It's very narcissistic.
All this from a fucking shirt lmao. Seek help, immediately.

All this from a fucking shirt lmao. Seek help, immediately.

Shirt + pin + hair + statement.

If you had someone with a shaved head, was wearing a shirt with a swastika on it and said they were going to make a game to appeal to a different audience, what would your take be? I'm not comparing the two in ideology - just that the context is similar. I respect you but you are willful ignoring these activist types.

This is going to be dog shit like everything the corpse of George Lucas' company puts out.
You realize LucasArts has nothing to do with this, right?

That company was acquired by Disney in 2012, and closed in 2013. And, btw, so you know, they basically stopped making games by the year 2000. Almost all their games after that were merely published by them (like the Knights of the Old Republic games). What remained of them after Disney closed them was absorbed by Disney Interactive which does its own development; mostly focused on shovelware mobile games targeting families & kids. AAA Star Wars games in recent years, such as the phenomenal Fallen Order series (the one that garners GOTY nods), wasn't handled by Disney. They licensed out the publishing rights to EA, and development was done by Respawn.

While both EA and Respawn have close ties with Microsoft's Xbox division neither of them have anything to do with this upcoming Indiana Jones game. Disney licensed out publishing rights to Bethesda, and development is by MachineGames. Below is their library of games. All of them are acclaimed:
2014Wolfenstein: The New OrderPlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Windows, Xbox 360, Xbox One
2015Wolfenstein: The Old BloodPlayStation 4, Windows, Xbox One
2016Quake: Dimension of the PastNintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Windows, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S
2017Wolfenstein II: The New ColossusNintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Windows, Xbox One
2019Wolfenstein: YoungbloodNintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Stadia, Windows, Xbox One
2019Wolfenstein: CyberpilotPlayStation 4, Windows
2021Quake: Dimension of the MachineNintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Windows, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S
2023Quake II: Call of the MachineNintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Windows, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S

If you had someone with a shaved head, was wearing a shirt with a swastika on it and said they were going to make a game to appeal to a different audience, what would your take be? I'm not comparing the two in ideology - just that the context is similar. I respect you but you are willful ignoring these activist types.
It's definitely concerning. Any rational person can acknowledge that. Hopefully, it doesn't get in the way. Fingers crossed.

I'm in agreement, I'm just saying it sucks that we're at that point. Where something seemingly innocuous coupled with saying something that in and of itself doesn't specifically mean what people are afraid it does nevertheless has a negative backlash.

I understand why it does, I just think it sucks that it does is all. It fills me with concern as well, but it'd like to believe it's possible to amount to little or nothing.

He said “tell Indiana Jones to a modern audience.”

That’s literally it.

You’re now liking it to Nazi garb.

My point still stands.
It's definitely concerning. Any rational person can acknowledge that. Hopefully, it doesn't get in the way. Fingers crossed.
It’s not. The thread started normal until you and your ilk showed up.

Anyway, this thread has turned to garbage almost immediately. Hopefully it’s decent, looks promising.

It’s not. The thread started normal until you and your ilk showed up.
"You and your ilk". A cat's whisker away from "you people".
giphy.gif

He's wearing a pride flag, looks like a they/them and says that Indiana Jones needs to cater towards a modern audience
The franchise is over 40 years old and the core gaming demographic cares about it as much as someone born in the 80s cared about Errol Flynn movies. You're reading way to much into a mundane statement that is always tossed out with revitalized franchises.
You have activists in these positions instead of story tellers and people that are passionate about games/movies. They are more concerned with their activist cause and getting high fives from their bubble than entertainment and delivering to fans what they expect of the franchise.
You realize the bonus structure for someone in this person's position is based on video game reviews and more importantly shipment figures. I don't think you understand how big bonuses are for more senior folks working on games. You're arguing that the guy is literally going to throw away the opportunity to double his salary over....reasons. Maybe the game will suck, maybe it won't, but there is no reason to suggest one way or another because you saw a rainbow.
Has this person turned in work that you find lackluster?

The franchise is over 40 years old and the core gaming demographic cares about it as much as someone born in the 80s cared about Errol Flynn movies. You're reading way to much into a mundane statement that is always tossed out with revitalized franchises.

You realize the bonus structure for someone in this person's position is based on video game reviews and more importantly shipment figures. I don't think you understand how big bonuses are for more senior folks working on games. You're arguing that the guy is literally going to throw away the opportunity to double his salary over....reasons. Maybe the game will suck, maybe it won't, but there is no reason to suggest one way or another because you saw a rainbow.

Has this person turned in work that you find lackluster?

I think you're making assumptions as to this particular person's bonuses.

Even assuming its true, the financial bottom line hasn't dissuaded an awful lot of activism infused stories, characters etc. Disney has been pumping out a pretty steady list of releases that have underperformed and the scapegoat is always sexism or racism, etc. When the truth is peope just get tired of the soapboxing.

I think you're making assumptions as to this particular person's bonuses.
I work in the PC and gaming industry and I'm quite familiar with the bonus structure what senior staff can expect on a project. I can't tell you what his exact comp incentives are, but I can pretty much guarantee they are based on the two metrics I named.
Even assuming its true, the financial bottom line hasn't dissuaded an awful lot of activism infused stories, characters etc. Disney has been pumping out a pretty steady list of releases that have underperformed and the scapegoat is always sexism or racism, etc. When the truth is peope just get tired of the soapboxing.
Disney has had a lot of underperforming releases because they have been making pretty underwhelming movies. Disney's business structure doesn't exactly attract a lot of good directors and writers, nor does the economic structure of modern Hollywood encourage this.

Like I said, maybe the game is good, maybe it sucks (I personally think it'll be slightly above average and fairly forgettable), but trying to claim the game will be hot garbage because you saw a funny haircut and pride flag is insane.

Back