Television INVINCIBLE - Dragonlord's Recommendation (Season 2 Returns March 14)

If you have seen the entire season one of INVINCIBLE, how would your rate it?

• Total voters
Think-Mark-6660936.jpeg

<Lmaoo>

Credit to @ssBaldy for posting this in ylyl

am I the only one that thinks the show is just ok? It's definitely high on shock factor and started off ok, and quickly became one dimensional.

@Dragonlordxxxxx

Want to give you a shout-out because I knew absolutely nothing about Invincible other than you recommended it.

And... holy fuck... this is the best TV series I've seen since... ironically... 'The Boys,' Amazon's other ultra-violent Justice League Parody comedy/drama based on a Comic Book series.... and also is Executive Produced by Seth Rogan.

10/10, easily. Only one episode I'd consider to the noticeably weaker than the other seven... the one Mark and his friends goes to college. Otherwise, I have zero complaints.

Kinda makes me consider reading the comics, but I don't want the show to be spoiled for me.

For those that have read the comic series, would you say this first season summed up the first 15 or 18 issues? Just curious how many seasons of this they can make if they stay loyal to the source material. Wait... did they stay loyal to the source material?

Also, is it a running joke in the comics that 'Invincible' is his name, yet he constantly gets massacred in fights... barely survives... stays in the hospital for a week and he gets a full recovery? Does this happen every few issues because it happens twice within 3 episodes.

Also, is it a running joke in the comics that 'Invincible' is his name, yet he constantly gets massacred in fights... barely survives... stays in the hospital for a week and he gets a full recovery? Does this happen every few issues because it happens twice within 3 episodes.

He gets fucking Brutalized. I think Invincible comes from the fact he never truly quits , beat down a lot and failed alot bit keeps chugging along. If you thought the Beating Battle Beast and his Dad gave him was bad , there are a couple moments in the comics what would shock me if they ever made it to the screen.

He gets fucking Brutalized. I think Invincible comes from the fact he never truly quits , beat down a lot and failed alot bit keeps chugging along. If you thought the Beating Battle Beast and his Dad gave him was bad , there are a couple moments in the comics what would shock me if they ever made it to the screen.

<TheWire1>

If you thought the Beating Battle Beast and his Dad gave him was bad , there are a couple moments in the comics what would shock me if they ever made it to the screen.

There's very few things that have ever made me cringe. I watched '2 Girls 1 Cup' with a straight face.

But in the last episode... how do I say this without spoiling it... the 'Subway' scene... make me audibly say "Holy shit that is fucked up."

So if they did THAT exactly as they did in the comics, I bet there's not much they won't put on the show.

It says a lot that I am looking forward to the next season of invincible perhaps more than One Punch Man season 3.

There's very few things that have ever made me cringe. I watched '2 Girls 1 Cup' with a straight face.

But in the last episode... how do I say this without spoiling it... the 'Subway' scene... make me audibly say "Holy shit that is fucked up."

So if they did THAT exactly as they did in the comics, I bet there's not much they won't put on the show.
The subway thing is fuckin _r o u g h_.

@Dragonlordxxxxx

Want to give you a shout-out because I knew absolutely nothing about Invincible other than you recommended it.

And... holy fuck... this is the best TV series I've seen since... ironically... 'The Boys,' Amazon's other ultra-violent Justice League Parody comedy/drama based on a Comic Book series.... and also is Executive Produced by Seth Rogan.

10/10, easily. Only one episode I'd consider to the noticeably weaker than the other seven... the one Mark and his friends goes to college. Otherwise, I have zero complaints.

Kinda makes me consider reading the comics, but I don't want the show to be spoiled for me.

For those that have read the comic series, would you say this first season summed up the first 15 or 18 issues? Just curious how many seasons of this they can make if they stay loyal to the source material. Wait... did they stay loyal to the source material?
So awesome to hear that.

Yes, it's very faithful from the comics but some fats were trimmed down.

They can likely make 6-8 seasons (with 8 episodes each) from the source material with the first 4 seasons probably being great and it probably will gradually deteriorate after that (but not to the point that it would suck [but who knows?]).

I gave it an 8 but I do like it a lot and will continue to watch it. Not the biggest fan of cartoons but this one does the job well, and the characters are interesting.

@Dragonlordxxxxx

The end of the first season is the end of issue 13, but there were things in the 1st season that also happened in later issues. The comic series is 144 issues. I can see season two covering to around issue 30, so if they go at that pace they can go up to 10 seasons.

The series is loyal to the source material on major plot points. In the Invincible comic there are alternate universes and the TV show feels like one of them, but a close one to the comic.

@Dragonlordxxxxx

I also agree that episode is the weakest.

The best one IMO was Titan using Invincible
to over Machine Head's criminal enterprise.

And the last two episodes as well.

@Dragonlordxxxxx

Strictly speaking anything after issue 13 would have spoilers. The problem is the first season actually pulls a lot of material even all the way up to issue 35(? can't quite remember), so the first season would also actually have spoilers for the comic as well up all the up to issue 35 or so. The Robot, Mars, and the University stories off the top off my head are pulled from issues after 13 I believe. There is however some major spoilers if you do read past issue 13 that haven't been shown yet and will likely be for S2.

Basically several story arcs were pulled forward. Likely this was done to fill out and give better pacing to have the first season finale at that major point. Otherwise the final episode would have happened at maybe episode 4? So even though the actual stories are very faithful the timeline of events doesn't strictly follow the comics. However none of the timeline changes is really detrimental to overall story or would even affect it's overall trajectory, arguably the pacing is actually better in some respects.

In terms of material I think you can argue it's actually gone through 20-25 or so issues for S1, but not in the same order as the comics.

The fights in general in Invincible are rather brutal for everyone involved. What's a bit atypical in Invincible is that even the "brick" heroes are stronger than they are tougher. Essentially anyone whos a threat can seriously hurt the other. This is unlike more typical comics in which especially bricks tend to be tougher than they are stronger. If that makes sense. They are also tougher in terms of being hard to kill/beat but not necessarily shrugging off hits with zero damage unlike more typically in comics as well.

Also he hasn't really been beaten badly that often in the show. It's really the 2 fights in S1 he gets hurt bad to the extent you're talking about (1 of which though was worse than the comics). You see him in the other fights he is clearly very high on the toughness scale, especially against the lower opponents. The two that hurt him badly are on the higher end of the power scale as seen in the show.

Battle Beast fight was more brutal in the show than the comics. Dad fight I think might even be slightly more brutal on the show.

Last edited:
Strictly speaking anything after issue 13 would have spoilers. The problem is the first season actually pulls a lot of material even all the way up to issue 35(? can't quite remember), so the first season would also actually have spoilers for the comic as well up all the up to issue 35 or so. The Robot, Mars, and the University stories off the top off my head are pulled from issues after 13 I believe. There is however some major spoilers if you do read past issue 13 that haven't been shown yet and will likely be for S2.

Basically several story arcs were pulled forward. Likely this was done to fill out and give better pacing to have the first season finale at that major point. Otherwise the final episode would have happened at maybe episode 4? So even though the actual stories are very faithful the timeline of events doesn't strictly follow the comics. However none of the timeline changes is really detrimental to overall story or would even affect it's overall trajectory, arguably the pacing is actually better in some respects.

In terms of material I think you can argue it's actually gone through 20-25 or so issues for S1, but not in the same order as the comics.

The fights in general in Invincible are rather brutal for everyone involved. What's a bit atypical in Invincible is that even the "brick" heroes are stronger than they are tougher. Essentially anyone whos a threat can seriously hurt the other. This is unlike more typical comics in which especially bricks tend to be tougher than they are stronger. If that makes sense. They are also tougher in terms of being hard to kill/beat but not necessarily shrugging off hits with zero damage unlike more typically in comics as well.

Also he hasn't really been beaten badly that often in the show. It's really the 2 fights in S1 he gets hurt bad to the extent you're talking about (1 of which though was worse than the comics). You see him in the other fights he is clearly very high on the toughness scale, especially against the lower opponents. The two that hurt him badly are on the higher end of the power scale as seen in the show.

Battle Beast fight was more brutal in the show than the comics. Dad fight I think might even be slightly more brutal on the show.

The earlier issues the Viollence was there but the art was lacking as it goes on later in the series the Art Highlights the Gore. Invincible vs Conquest and the brutal acts Conquest does.

am I the only one that thinks the show is just ok? It's definitely high on shock factor and started off ok, and quickly became one dimensional.

I would say yes it wasnt perfect but I would say "interesting" rather than "ok" which implies more bland competence, my main issues would be the lead is a bit bland and the "teenage diversity" writing ironically feels like it was written by someone from another planet who arrived on earth in 1982.

What does obviously come to mind is a lot of 80's and 90's anime, lacking the sex I spose but the sci fi, gore and grand drama are there. The kind of thing you think is the greatest art known to man when your 18? Still again doesnt mean there isnt something there and I do think it rises above mere shock value, the evil father story does have more balls to it than is typical and JK Simmons definately helps alot.

The main thing that comes to mind is will there be the same bite to it after that plot? really everything else was more window dressing for that wasnt it?

Dude, they can fix teeth in real life. So it's not that big of a deal to get them fixed in a show.

He was in the most advanced hospital for several weeks if not months. I'm sure they had dentists.

They picked the teeth off the mountside and stuck them back in his head? doesnt seem that unreasonable to me.

Last edited:
Of the four comic book series I've watched this year - WandaVision, Invincible, FATWS and Jupiter's Legacy, Invincible is the best. And it's not even close:cool:
I was gonna start Jupiter last night, but the reviews made me not get around to it. Is this one of the audience loves but critics hate shows?

I was gonna start Jupiter last night, but the reviews made me not get around to it. Is this one of the audience loves but critics hate shows?

I think both the audience and the critics have been less than overwhelmed by Legacy. To be fair, it's not terrible(apart from the scenes with Chloe)but it's not great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back