is bleacherreport notorious for uneducated writers ?

andy18_1

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
http://m.bleacherreport.com/article...ing-questions-heading-into-ufc-fight-night-81

Just finished going through this article and the writer Steven Rondina seems like he has no fuckin clue what he is talking about and seems ignorant about MMA and condescending at points towards the fighters.
He starts off by saying Cruikshank and Felder aren't particularly good fighters and may be cut with a loss, but at the same time might beat Lawler/Condit for foty because of " spinning stuff".

The next slide he implies that whoever loses mitrione/Browne wont have a chance at being top 10 ever again and will be relegated to gate keeper status after the each have a single loss to a top 10 fighter in their last outing. Seems pretty oblivious to the fact that Arlovski and Werdum were both beat out of the UFC at one point in their career and came back to become champion/top 5(ish)

Follows that with whoever loses Pettis/Alvarez may never fight for. Title again

But the real icing on it is the condescending comment towards educated fans..

" For snooty MMA fans, the ones who read technical analyses and attend events while wearing three-piece suits, monocles and top hats, a bantamweight bout between T.J. Dillashaw and Dominick Cruz has long been a dream match."

And then tops it off by saying they are both cut from the same cloth as Fedor, which I don't see in their fighting style, demeanour, title reign or any other capacity.

Seriously, who do they have writing this shit. I'm not asking for Hunter S Thompson, or somebody to completely immerse themselves into the sport but have somebody that is able to competently write an article without coming across as ignorant to what is happening in general within the sport

I have never read one positive comment about Bleacher Report...

The article isn't award winning journalism or anything, but you're making it out to be worse than it is IMO. It's a half assed opinion piece on BR; I'm not sure what you expected.

In the past they literally would allow anyone to write for them and used SEO techniques to build their brand.

They actually pay some good writers now but you will still find the bullshit they started the company with around.

Journalism in general doesn't pay very well, mma journalism even less so. The talent pool is pretty bad.

The article isn't award winning journalism or anything, but you're making it out to be worse than it is IMO. It's a half assed opinion piece on BR; I'm not sure what you expected.

I don't expect much, I might seem like I am overly upset I just think that if a legitimate sports site is covering MMA they should at least avoid unnecessarily insulting fighters and insulting fans who have been following the sport for more than a couple of years.

Those autors are notorious for writre horrendoues articles, not only in MMA but also in WWE and probably in the other sport sections, sometimes it's like they do it in purpouse to get cheaps click. it sucks a lot cause everybody keeps complaining about then for years nothing has changed yet, I just change BR for Sherdog and other sites like Bloodyelbow, mmafighting, mmamania, etc.

i like to compare how they do play by play vs others and they are not the best.

Bloody Elbow/MMA Mania is where it's at.

One of the great ironies of Bleacher Report is that a site essentially founded on the mantra "for the fans" operates via an extremely regimented, top-down system. While nearly every major publication now has an SEO maven on board, Bleacher Report employs an entire analytics team to comb through reams of data, determining who wants to read what, and when, at an almost granular level. In this way, the site can determine the ideal times to post certain types of stories — thus meeting a demand that doesn't yet exist, but will.

Reverse-engineering content to fit a pre-written headline is a Bleacher Report staple. "The analytics team basically says, 'Hey, we think this is going to be trending, these eight to 10 terms will be trending in the next couple of days,'" says a former editor for the site. "We say thank you, and we as editors come up with the headlines and pass those on to writers to write the content."

http://deadspin.com/5948516/bleache...ne-bleacher-report-would-write-for-this-story

Journalism in general doesn't pay very well, mma journalism even less so. The talent pool is pretty bad.
they get paid zero - journalism means being a blogger

esp covering the ufc, you either suck up to them or get no access

they are the same as sherdog writers/posters.

Back