Is Chili's the most popular restaurant in America?

Call ahead seating. None of the ones I've been to take actual reservations, and that's because those seats are going to be full anyway. So that excludes them for us for B-Day parties and the like where we have a group of 15-20 or more.

It really depends on the time you go tbh.

It's interesting how corporate restaurant chains have taken dominion of the restaurant market in the US. Not sure if Americans themselves realize how unusual that is. If you go to pretty much any other country, let's say Italy, it's mostly mom & pop places. The idea that you would go to a completely different area of your country and find the same restaurants copy and pasted over and over again, that would be unthinkable. It's unfortunate.

Not a fan of Chili's. Their ribs suck. The Ground Round had way better ribs. But nothing compares to my Ribs in my Stick burner.
Ground Round! holy shit I forgot all about that place. they had good nachos

The typical huge mall restaurants.

Red Lobster - maybe most over priced seafood ever. It's long John's qaulity but sold at premium prices as folksxjust can't wait to throw money at it. I avoid this place after kids out grew it on principles.

Olive Garden - it's not great Italian food. But is reasonable priced . The qaulity may be trash but you get alot of it an it usually tastes decent. Much better option than Red Lobster is choosing.

Chilis- Total trash other thsn the apps. The appetizers are solid especially the SW egg rolls other thsn that it sucks.

Applebee's- worse thsn Chili's

Fridays - the old JD sauce pulled pork was solid. I view it as a slightly better Chili's.

Cracker Barrell - used to be a solid breakfast now it become worse than Dennys an even IHOP.
Outback - don't get me started here. NEVER HAD A CORRECTLY COOKED STEAK. Been at least 20 times with kids . Still never once have had my steak done right. Either raw or wasaaay over cooked. They do not know how to make a medium steak. Avoid at all costs.

Longhorn - for what it is IMO it's best of the Mall restaurants steak joints. I'm glad as it's typically the shortest line of the 3.

Texas Roadhouse - best bread here when they cook the steak right itsxprobably best qaulity of 3 but is rarely done right.

Carrabas- like a Olive Garden without the things that make Olive Garden appealing - salad, breadsticks, unlimited soup.

Maggianos - one of if not my favorite Mall restaurant- it's Olive Garden only better in every way. Compares actually not so bad to real Itslian restaurants .

Pepes- utterly average Mexican restaurant in everyday. Nothing terrible but nothing good either.

Cheesecake Factory - this is only place to challenge Maggianos for 1 spot for me. I know the complaints an I haven't been in years but al ost always liked when I went. Cheesecake was good , portions are crazy big so you got leftovers for lunch , and usually doesn't taste bad .
Is maggainos that big of a chain? They are okay. GREAT chocolate cake.

Texas Roadhouse is the only restaurant in my area that is always packed to the gills every day of the week, not just weekends.

Do they put crack in the steaks?

They're the only place whose steaks taste better than your average propane grill steaks in the backyard. Only problem is they inconsistently overcook them.

Their rolls are damn good as well.

Red Lobster - maybe most over priced seafood ever. It's long John's qaulity but sold at premium prices as folksxjust can't wait to throw money at it. I avoid this place after kids out grew it on principles.

Olive Garden - it's not great Italian food. But is reasonable priced . The qaulity may be trash but you get alot of it an it usually tastes decent. Much better option than Red Lobster is choosing.

Chilis- Total trash other thsn the apps. The appetizers are solid especially the SW egg rolls other thsn that it sucks.

Fridays - the old JD sauce pulled pork was solid. I view it as a slightly better Chili's.

Cracker Barrell - used to be a solid breakfast now it become worse than Dennys an even IHOP.
Outback - don't get me started here. NEVER HAD A CORRECTLY COOKED STEAK. Been at least 20 times with kids . Still never once have had my steak done right. Either raw or wasaaay over cooked. They do not know how to make a medium steak. Avoid at all costs.

Longhorn - for what it is IMO it's best of the Mall restaurants steak joints. I'm glad as it's typically the shortest line of the 3.

Texas Roadhouse - best bread here when they cook the steak right itsxprobably best qaulity of 3 but is rarely done right.

Carrabas- like a Olive Garden without the things that make Olive Garden appealing - salad, breadsticks, unlimited soup.

Maggianos - one of if not my favorite Mall restaurant- it's Olive Garden only better in every way. Compares actually not so bad to real Itslian restaurants .

Pepes- utterly average Mexican restaurant in everyday. Nothing terrible but nothing good either.

Cheesecake Factory - this is only place to challenge Maggianos for 1 spot for me. I know the complaints an I haven't been in years but al ost always liked when I went. Cheesecake was good , portions are crazy big so you got leftovers for lunch , and usually doesn't taste bad .

It should be law that these are the only places parents should be allowed to bring kids under 10 to.

its a decent place to go sit at the bar and get some food and drinks while watching a game, especially when traveling. I would never go there just to eat.

Agree with almost everything you said save for Cheesecake Factory. Never enjoyed any meal there.
Totally agree on Outback. Never was happy.
Speaking of huge portions, when I lived in Vegas I used to hit Claim Jumper from time to time. MEGA portions.

Chili's is dead to me after they discontinued the awesome blossom, but hung on to the copyrighted name.

So not only win you not make me one, but your preventing anyone else from making them too? That's some bullshit right there.

Chili's ain't bad. Way better than Applebees.

Subway is #1 though with over 20,576 locations according to Google. For comparison there are 13,522 McDonald's.

That's insane people still eat fucking subway. And McDonalds for that matter.

It's interesting how corporate restaurant chains have taken dominion of the restaurant market in the US. Not sure if Americans themselves realize how unusual that is. If you go to pretty much any other country, let's say Italy, it's mostly mom & pop places. The idea that you would go to a completely different area of your country and find the same restaurants copy and pasted over and over again, that would be unthinkable. It's unfortunate.
My favorite and most frequented restaurant, by a mile, is a mom and pop place. 100% agree with this

That's insane people still eat fucking subway. And McDonalds for that matter.
Subway is awful but I somehow end up eating there a few times a year. It's the only thing open by my work when I'm on grave.

I like chilies . Use to fuck with outback but now there is a longhorn steakhouse around here so I just go there .

Almost all of the Applebees & TGI Friday's in my area have closed down. Chili's isn't looking so hot either.

I'd say olive garden

Chilis seems to be failing. Their food has went from decent to poor and many locations have closed. The pandemic hit them hard. Their famed fajitas are no longer that good.

judging by how long the line to order is , i’d have to say In-n-Out

To be far when I visit the US I manage to mostly avoid chains, maybe the odd small lunch but their are still plenty of independent diners/pizza places, the UK I would argue may actually be worse than the US when it comes to the low/mid part of the market being dominated by chains.

Last edited:
Back