Is Dune worth reading?

Bornstarch

Holy Paladin
@Brown
Reaction score
I don't want to wait 25 years for the movies to get done. Is the book series over and is it worth reading? I just wanna know what happens next. I was thinking of downloading them to my ereader

Do you enjoy reading?

Do you have to time to read and somewhat reflect on the text?

If so, the books are definitely the way to go.

Keep in mind, book #1 is over 650 pages by itself.

I only read the first one, but I liked it. Series ended like 30 years ago. The main series, at least.

I haven't read them but if you read probably worth at least trying.

Yea the next 2 books Messiah and Children are sort of one big movie like Dune was.. not certain they go beyond that for movies ........ though I would love to see book 5 on screen to see how they would portray Leto 2.

Yeah it's pretty great as far as sci-fi goes. Herbert was extremely well read and had a vast knowledge of history, theology, philosophy, and uses it to great effect. Lots of depth in this work for those willing to dig deep.

Last edited:
I just downloaded it

Which book should I read first?

yayYolk.png

I don't want to wait 25 years for the movies to get done. Is the book series over and is it worth reading? I just wanna know what happens next. I was thinking of downloading them to my ereader
Why read when you can watch tv?

bro any fiction book is worth reading

The first book covers what we've seen in the two films so far, its heavier on the detail/philosophy than the films were with a lot of internal monologs but still is has a lot of story/character to it.

If you like the slower philosophical ideas of the first book then maybe move forward as the following ones tend to go deeper into that.

Have to admit I have this on a shelf next to me right now...

dfh_book.png

You just need the first 3 books.

I also think the new movie sucked and haven't watched part 2 yet.

Yes it´s great. But only the original 6 books. The books by his son are bad fan fiction.

There are 6 original books??
There are although I think many would say that its actually the first 4 books which complete a story arc, maybe even the first 3.

The last couple were more of a relaunch of the story which was never completed by Frank Hebert and his son attempted to finish, I'd agree though those books are not worth bothering with, nothing like the intelligence and quality of prose that Frank brought.

Children of Dune is definately the second best book after the original for me, also the one Hebert spent longest on.

There are although I think many would say that its actually the first 4 books which complete a story arc, maybe even the first 3.

The last couple were more of a relaunch of the story which was never completed by Frank Hebert and his son attempted to finish, I'd agree though those books are not worth bothering wi
th, nothing like the intelligence and quality of prose that Frank brought.

Children of Dune is definately the second best book after the original for me, also the one Hebert spent longest on.
Which number is children of dune? I've only read dune, which iirc is a pretty short book. So I've been wondering what all the fuss is about these huge movies. Does the story get cooler?

Which number is children of dune? I've only read dune, which iirc is a pretty short book. So I've been wondering what all the fuss is about these huge movies. Does the story get cooler?
Dune
Dune messiah
Children of Dune
God emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse Dune

I remember reading many Dune books years ago, back when I was into reading fiction. Didn't make much of an impression on me apparently. I don't recall what the books were about, other than I read them. Maybe a sign of early Alzheimer's. Hmmm....

Back