Is Edgar Berlanga hiding a suspect chin?

Good find

Hiding his chin as in getting his opponents out asap so there is no danger as the fight progresses? Could be the case

Could be the next Julian Jackson, JJ had freakish power but a bad chin.

I had never seen the other vids but i'd seen all of his available pro fights so i'd seen fight #4 before.

He'll run into someone eventually that doesn't fear his hype and KOs him, maybe a few times.

Needs to seriously work on his defense if he knows his chin is suspect, but even then he'd get found out eventually, they always do.

Not sure about the chin, but definitely needs a lot of work in other areas, specially defense. I was not impressed with his last fight. He’s not ready yet.

He'll go down like Michael Grant when he steps up imo.

Now there's more new footage of this guy actually getting stopped in sparring by lubin

yeah looks to be the case. brandun lee is the only big puncher i’ve had my eye on. this guy’s matchmaking is very suspect. they’re trying to turn him into tye fields.

He got caught with his hands way down in the first two vids, actual fights, which is troubling. I don’t give a shit about sparring. Especially not when one dude is a green prospect and the other an established pro.

Berlanga needs to sure up his defense and stay focused in the ring. By the looks of his last 10+ it looks like he’s making progress on that. Just to put things into perspective, we’ve got dudes like Jaime Mungia with belts who’ve barely been tested and have 20 more professional fights than Berlanga. TWENTY

And still Berlanga would probably be undefeated fighting the dudes homeboy has fought. Let’s give the kid some time to she what he’s made of before we write him off

The term is a Glass Cannon. Too early to tell. Of course the kid had & has flaws. Let's let his pro career tell us

He got caught with his hands way down in the first two vids, actual fights, which is troubling. I don’t give a shit about sparring. Especially not when one dude is a green prospect and the other an established pro.

Berlanga needs to sure up his defense and stay focused in the ring. By the looks of his last 10+ it looks like he’s making progress on that. Just to put things into perspective, we’ve got dudes like Jaime Mungia with belts who’ve barely been tested and have 20 more professional fights than Berlanga. TWENTY

And still Berlanga would probably be undefeated fighting the dudes homeboy has fought. Let’s give the kid some time to she what he’s made of before we write him off

Yeah, it's way too early to tell at this point. Pretty much everyone takes at least one good ass-whooping in the amateurs & a lot of hard lessons are learned in the gym sparring. And while it doesn't appear that he's got concrete for a chin, I wouldn't label it as glass either. It's not like he's getting knocked spark out.

And I give him a lot of credit for his last fight. He'd knocked all his previous opponents out inside a round & then he had to go eight tough, fast-paced rounds with a decent opponent who wouldn't quit. I've seen plenty of prospects begin to seriously doubt themselves under similar circumstances, gad out, fall apart & get stopped themselves. But this kid kept his composure & won. He didn't panic when his opponent kept getting back up like many punchers do. Gotta give him props for that.

They've just got to move him properly & not rush him into fights he's not ready for. He should fight a few more eight-rounders & then move onto some tens with some durable journeymen that will take him some rounds. There was some talk a little while ago about a potential fight with Gabe Rosado & that would be a bad gamble at this point. Rosado is too battle-tested & too much of a dangerous veteran for him right now. I'd stay away from that match-up for at least a year.

Yeah, it's way too early to tell at this point. Pretty much everyone takes at least one good ass-whooping in the amateurs & a lot of hard lessons are learned in the gym sparring. And while it doesn't appear that he's got concrete for a chin, I wouldn't label it as glass either. It's not like he's getting knocked spark out.

And I give him a lot of credit for his last fight. He'd knocked all his previous opponents out inside a round & then he had to go eight tough, fast-paced rounds with a decent opponent who wouldn't quit. I've seen plenty of prospects begin to seriously doubt themselves under similar circumstances, gad out, fall apart & get stopped themselves. But this kid kept his composure & won. He didn't panic when his opponent kept getting back up like many punchers do. Gotta give him props for that.

They've just got to move him properly & not rush him into fights he's not ready for. He should fight a few more eight-rounders & then move onto some tens with some durable journeymen that will take him some rounds. There was some talk a little while ago about a potential fight with Gabe Rosado & that would be a bad gamble at this point. Rosado is too battle-tested & too much of a dangerous veteran for him right now. I'd stay away from that match-up for at least a year.

Yeah Rosado looks to have grown into a pretty decent puncher at 168 , which is what always held him back at the lower weights. Don’t think Berlangas ready for that level of opposition yet and besides, it’s probably beneath Gabe right now. Hope he gets Mungia next.

Yeah Rosado looks to have grown into a pretty decent puncher at 168 , which is what always held him back at the lower weights. Don’t think Berlangas ready for that level of opposition yet and besides, it’s probably beneath Gabe right now. Hope he gets Mungia next.

Yeah, me too. That would make for a great fight.

After his last fight, the last thing Top Rank wants is a legit opponent for Berlanga

I never put that much stock into sparring stuff. It's not meaningless, but ehhhh

I never put that much stock into sparring stuff. It's not meaningless, but ehhhh
i mean getting dropped by a guy two weight classes lower with headgear on is a bad look, no matter the situation. it makes it worse that he said “i saw you get knocked out in the amateurs” in the middle of the session then proceeded to put him on the canvas.

this is just kind of a classless leak, mainly because it’s so damning

i mean getting dropped by a guy two weight classes lower with headgear on is a bad look, no matter the situation. it makes it worse that he said “i saw you get knocked out in the amateurs” in the middle of the session then proceeded to put him on the canvas.

this is just kind of a classless leak, mainly because it’s so damning
that's fair enough, it certainly brings up questions, but IDK, I'm not a Berlanga doomer cause of it. That said, classless, as you said.

Back