Is Europe and Africa taking over the UFC?

Big population isn’t exactly just a throwaway comment - it’s the overriding factor in terms of why you win so many medals.

Per capita, you’re very much mid-tier.
Not a great argument for multiple reasons. Only a certain amount of athletes from each country can participate in any given sport. For example golf, which Americans currently dominate with 10 of the top 12 ranked golfers in the world. Only 4 will be able to go to the Olympics. But your whole point was that Americans only specialize in sports no one else cares about. While that is true to an extent with our major sports, clearly one look at the results in the Olympics shows Americans are competing and winning at other sports

Usman "identity" changes accoriding with his interest. I.e: He didn't try to represent Nigeria in the Olympics. He ws very happy to be a Yank back there.

How did “Da bess wrestler in MMA!” do in the Olympics anyway?? I missed it

Not a great argument for multiple reasons. Only a certain amount of athletes from each country can participate in any given sport. For example golf, which Americans currently dominate with 10 of the top 12 ranked golfers in the world. Only 4 will be able to go to the Olympics. But your whole point was that Americans only specialize in sports no one else cares about. While that is true to an extent with our major sports, clearly one look at the results in the Olympics shows Americans are competing and winning at other sports

It’s not an ‘argument’. It is absolutely factually correct to say that the US Olympic record is heavily skewed by its massive population, and that on a per capita basis the US is pretty much mid tier, and certainly well behind the UK.

Your point re gold is certainly more of an argument, but applies to every other country too. I would argue that the US actually benefit from this again by having a disproportionately massive number of medals available in something like swimming, which the US usually dominates. There are more gold medals available in swimming than their are in boxing, weightlifting, shooting, judo, wrestling, canoeing and cycling put together. The US won over a third of their total gold medal haul in that one sport.

let’s be honest. there would be no “african” champs if they actually lived and trained in africa.

Exactly. And they wouldn’t be champ if not for the CURRENT trainers they have. Their trainers DEFINITELY aren’t Afrocan.

Jokes aside I can see Lewis, Gane, and Volkov having a chance especially if the latter two keep distance and kick fight the whole time. Jones I don't see it. He struggled to take Reyes down, and yet people are convinced that he's going to wrestle Ngannou like Stipe did in their first fight. Just because Jones managed to avoid getting ragdolled by DC at 205 doesn't mean that he's going to Khabib everyone in the HW division. Everyone is bigger and stronger which matters way more for wrestling than striking.

Jones's wrestling is the part of his game that is most dependent on his size but even when Jones was the most dominant his takedowns were defendable and he missed a lot his issue was they'd keep coming and he'd eventually get someone down and keep them there. This is why I always maintained a large wrestler would give Jones fits cause they might not only be able to defend but also take him down as Gus who had just a few years of wrestling took Jones down because he was large. DC was a great wrestler but he was also small af in height and length and his skill didn't make up for that. Anyhow despite this Jones has only not landed a takedown in 2 of his title fights, the DC rematch and in Santos fight he only tried 1. Also fighters being larger alone doesn't mean they can outgrapple Jones if they don't have DC's skill. Gus got a takedown but it was just 1 and it was the first one which probably surprised Jones who'd never been taken down before and probably didn't expect Gus to even try. Gus's subsequent 7 takedown attempts missed.

Thing with Ngannou is his cardio is horrible and he's used to it not mattering cause he KO's fighters right away. Also HW fights typically don't go to the ground but based off the Stipe fight don't see a reason why Jones wouldn't get him down like Stipe did eventually even if Ngannou stuffs some. That's what happened with Stipe. Especially later in the fight when he's gassed Jones also has the clinch. But feel people underestimate Jones's standup cause it's been so long since we've seen him some of those MT highlights that were common in the beginning of his career. He has preferred taking the fight to the ground cause it's safer but that doesn't mean he needs to take it there.

Rumble wasn't a HW but he was a similar high power low cardio fighter. His career at LHW showed he needed to KO someone in round 1 or he lost. The only exception was Davis who has no striking at all and that was a rare decision win for Rumble. Ngannou's cardio limitations aren't as extreme but they are clearly there. He was tired in the Stipe rematch by round 2 and it didn't matter cause Stipe was barely hanging on.

But it shows Ngannou has a limited timeframe in which to beat a fighter who is a master at avoiding damage. An early takedown could set the tone for the fight. In the first Stipe fight got Ngannou down early and easily won in the second he didn't and was KO'd.

It’s not an ‘argument’. It is absolutely factually correct to say that the US Olympic record is heavily skewed by its massive population, and that on a per capita basis the US is pretty much mid tier, and certainly well behind the UK.

They don't need to be efficient though, precisely because they have a big population : they just want to win the most medals and that's what they do.

There are more gold medals available in swimming than their are in boxing, weightlifting, shooting, judo, wrestling, canoeing and cycling put together. The US won over a third of their total gold medal haul in that one sport.

I'm pretty sure it's on purpose : they aim the sports that give the most medals.

Imagine what Ngannou would do to Jan though haha

A Jan that doesn’t cut any weight and actually puts on some size... Nogannou does NOT have a sure victory there. lol Jan could win that one.

They don't need to be efficient though, precisely because they have a big population : they just want to win the most medals and that's what they do.

I'm pretty sure it's on purpose : they aim the sports that give the most medals.

And that’s absolutely fine if that’s their aim, but you can’t divorce the two when it comes to assessing the efficiency of a country at producing athletes. Ultimately, that’s the real questions isn’t it? I can’t imagine anyone doubting the fact that a bigger population gives one greater opportunities for success.

The reality is there are far more efficient countries at producing Olympic athletes than the US. The next step is usually to come back with something about the NFL or NBA, but before they do, that’s a challenge all countries face.

Well Africa tried to invade 205 but got dealt with. Lol And Yan will definitely get his belt and Vetorri will get the job done so...

EE more so than Afoca

Be careful u might get banned for saying africans aren't the best fighters.

Your point re gold is certainly more of an argument, but applies to every other country too. I would argue that the US actually benefit from this again by having a disproportionately massive number of medals available in something like swimming, which the US usually dominates. There are more gold medals available in swimming than their are in boxing, weightlifting, shooting, judo, wrestling, canoeing and cycling put together. The US won over a third of their total gold medal haul in that one sport.
That’s the whole point, any county with a large population is always going to be “mid-tier” on a per capita basis in the Olympics. If the UK (your example) won 10 gold medals, China would have to win 200 to match it, which would be like winning 2/3 of the gold medals. And again, the set-up encourages more parity because countries are restricted with regards to how many athletes they can send in any given sport.

But clearly you’re just a hater. Your argument has gone from the US only wins in sports that no one else plays to the US only beats everyone else because they have a larger population, lmao

Last edited:
Jones's wrestling is the part of his game that is most dependent on his size but even when Jones was the most dominant his takedowns were defendable and he missed a lot his issue was they'd keep coming and he'd eventually get someone down and keep them there. This is why I always maintained a large wrestler would give Jones fits cause they might not only be able to defend but also take him down as Gus who had just a few years of wrestling took Jones down because he was large. DC was a great wrestler but he was also small af in height and length and his skill didn't make up for that. Anyhow despite this Jones has only not landed a takedown in 2 of his title fights, the DC rematch and in Santos fight he only tried 1. Also fighters being larger alone doesn't mean they can outgrapple Jones if they don't have DC's skill. Gus got a takedown but it was just 1 and it was the first one which probably surprised Jones who'd never been taken down before and probably didn't expect Gus to even try. Gus's subsequent 7 takedown attempts missed.

Thing with Ngannou is his cardio is horrible and he's used to it not mattering cause he KO's fighters right away. Also HW fights typically don't go to the ground but based off the Stipe fight don't see a reason why Jones wouldn't get him down like Stipe did eventually even if Ngannou stuffs some. That's what happened with Stipe. Especially later in the fight when he's gassed Jones also has the clinch. But feel people underestimate Jones's standup cause it's been so long since we've seen him some of those MT highlights that were common in the beginning of his career. He has preferred taking the fight to the ground cause it's safer but that doesn't mean he needs to take it there.

Rumble wasn't a HW but he was a similar high power low cardio fighter. His career at LHW showed he needed to KO someone in round 1 or he lost. The only exception was Davis who has no striking at all and that was a rare decision win for Rumble. Ngannou's cardio limitations aren't as extreme but they are clearly there. He was tired in the Stipe rematch by round 2 and it didn't matter cause Stipe was barely hanging on.

But it shows Ngannou has a limited timeframe in which to beat a fighter who is a master at avoiding damage. An early takedown could set the tone for the fight. In the first Stipe fight got Ngannou down early and easily won in the second he didn't and was KO'd.
Stipe couldn't get Ngannou down in the rematch for two reasons.

1) Ngannou didn't bum rush and waste his energy.
2) His takedown defense and overall wrestling improved. Not only did he sprawl beautifully, he was confident enough to try taking Stipe's back in order to unleash ground and pound.

I saw no evidence that Ngannou was tired in the 2nd round of their rematch btw. He wasn't labored or breathing heavy he seemed fine. I'd also like to see Blaydes and Jones face each other since we're on the topic of wrestling.

The reality is there are far more efficient countries at producing Olympic athletes than the US.

Does it really matter ? I mean, if we speak about universities, the US might not produce the most universities per capita, but they still produce the best ones.

Per capita is different than quality.

At the end of the day, Harvard is still seen as the top university worldwide.

Does it really matter ? I mean, if we speak about universities, the US might not produce the most universities per capita, but they still produce the best ones.

Per capita is different than quality.

At the end of the day, Harvard is still seen as the top university worldwide.

I’m not following this line of argument at all so I’ll ignore the university comparison.

To the bolded - I don’t think anyone is confusing per capita with quality. The former is a system of adjusting a metric for population, and the latter is a rather vague and ambiguous terms that speaks of something being good.

The bottom line remains - the US is relatively mid tier in terms of being efficient at producing high calibre athletes. That’s really all there is to it.

That’s the whole point, any county with a large population is always going to be “mid-tier” on a per capita basis in the Olympics. If the UK (your example) won 10 gold medals, China would have to win 200 to match it, which would be like winning 2/3 of the gold medals. And again, the set-up encourages more parity because countries are restricted with regards to how many athletes they can send in any given sport.

But clearly you’re just a hater. Your argument has gone from the US only wins in sports that no one else plays to the US only beats everyone else because they have a larger population, lmao

You’re clearly a bit special so I’ll keep it simple. You’re wrong. The two countries with the biggest populations in the world are not mid-tier on a per capita basis.

And just lol at the notion of being a hater for pointing out that the US isn’t particularly special or unique in terms of efficiency of producing high calibre athletes <45>

Bizarre to throw a hissy fit against a factual statement simply because it paints your country in a light that’s not quite ‘we’re the best at everything and everyone is jealous of us’.

Back