Is Islam Makhachev the most well-rounded fighter in MMA history?

well its actually silly to compare a guy with 3 title wins vs a guy with 12 title wins in the first place.
thr comparison wasn't related to the number of title defense, Is GSP a better strike thsn Pereira now cuz he has 10 more titles defenses? is his jujitsu better than Oliveira's?

Looking at the guy's skillset, he really has zero weaknesses. Statistically least hit fighter in MMA history, elite wrestler, elite ground game, KO'd one of the best strikers.

All the GOATs had weaknesses, but not this guy

- GSP: finishing ability
- Jones: boxing
- DJ: undersized, takedown defense
- Fedor: loopy punches, lower body takedowns
- Silva: takedown defense, can't lead

If only he fought more he'd already be a top 5 GOAT
No, it's JJ, GSP, MM and Fedor.

His chin is a possible liability. It's only a matter of time before someone posts a gif of him getting KOd by a nobody.
HIs chin and the fact the former FW champ went life and death with him for 5 rounds in their first fight. He's still a great fighter but I can't say he's the most dominant with no weakness.

Sorry, but he is no Vitor.
View attachment 1041029

The Gracie black belt (however legit that was--seemed sketchy) really made Vitor look like an unstoppable force in 1997 when that credential was very rare. Super fast dangerous hands AND you don't want to take him down. Randy Couture's dirty boxing was the perfect strategy.

islam is like jones, his decent striking seems better than It actually is cause of the huge takedown threat

gsp and mm were legit great at both grappling and striking

islam is like jones, his decent striking seems better than It actually is cause of the huge takedown threat

gsp and mm were legit great at both grappling and striking
Jones really used his reach/size well for both grappling and striking. His striking skills were uneven (good kicks, not very good boxing, spinning elbows and unorthodox moves) but unless other fighters were tall/rangy like him, they had a lot of problems figuring him out.

thr comparison wasn't related to the number of title defense, Is GSP a better strike thsn Pereira now cuz he has 10 more titles defenses? is his jujitsu better than Oliveira's?
What are we doing now man?

You're comparing GSP's striking to the best striker in MMA right now. Is Islam a better striker than Pereira?

The guy you replied to, his point was that GSP's complete game has been proven over the stretch of 10 more title defenses. We haven't seen enough of Islam. So yes it's a pathetic comparison.

Reactions: lsa
he's the most well rounded daegstani that i have seen in the ufc so far though i haven't watched much umar. I'd argue he isn't even the most well-rounded from russia considering that the last emperor exists.

He is well rounded. He might have an easier time to winning if he just pounded people out but he prefers to grapple instead. I think he is a better grappler than Khabib but not as effective for MMA.

Since when does DJ have suspect takedown defense? Undersized..? There are weight classes for a reason.

No, that would be GSP or Demetrius Johnson.

GSP has superb jitz, much better kickboxing / muay thai, and his wrestling was impeccable.

Remember when GSP couldn't finish an armbar against Dan Hardy and had to learn after the fight backstage?

The Gracie black belt (however legit that was--seemed sketchy) really made Vitor look like an unstoppable force in 1997 when that credential was very rare. Super fast dangerous hands AND you don't want to take him down. Randy Couture's dirty boxing was the perfect strategy.
I think he proved it was legit when he nearly snapped Jon Jones' arm in half

I think he proved it was legit when he nearly snapped Jon Jones' arm in half
That was 15 years later. There's a reason I said 1997. I'm sure Vitor honed his BJJ skills more over a decade and a half.

Come on now
He's beaten many high level blackbelts on the ground. Significantly more tested than Islam is.

Being able to finish someone doesn't say much about their grappling ability.

Serra, Penn, Hughes, Fitch, Shields, Diaz all beaten on the ground by him. So yes, he is probably a better grappler than Islam.

Name and belt ranking checks out lol.

Islam is not in the same league or sentence as the other fighters you've mentioned.

Ill leave it at that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back