Is it counterproductive to drink coffee after lifting?

Agent Mulder's Hair

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Coffee is a vasoconstrictor, so it shrinks your veins and it seems like you'd want as much blood as possible getting to your muscles after lifting. But a vasoconstrictor increases heart speed so your blood is pumping through your veins FASTER after drinking coffee. But your veins are still constricted more than normal.

So is it better to just keep the natural pump ( vasodilation ) after lifting? Am i defeating the purpose (gains) if i drink coffee/energy drink after lifting?

I just want some coffee

Trent Dassouzo, in his essay Juan Valdeadlift - A Study of Coffee On Gainz, bruh advocates for coffee abstinence following your workout. He touches on drinking while working in order to strengthen your blood cell muscles since they have to swim harder.

I think you need to study more if you think you understand anatomy and physiology TS.

I wasn't wrong about anything in the OP

Ok I'll play. Coffee doesn't increase heart rate BECAUSE of vasoconstriction, it has sympathomimetic properties/CNS stimulant...ONE of which is vasoconstriction. In other words heart rate is increased by the stimulant itself- not because of vasoconstriction. Cardiac output and stroke volume are effected by the vasoconstricting properties you mentioned. There is alot more than 1 or two elements at play with a stimulant basically.

In any case, if you want to compare other pharmaceuticals specific to vasodilation properties...you'd realise that a cup of coffee isn't going to make much of a difference at all in which case just drink the coffee.

So is it better to just keep the natural pump ( vasodilation ) after lifting? Am i defeating the purpose (gains) if i drink coffee/energy drink after lifting?

If you are an elite professional athlete, you should be giving some serious thought to the answer to these questions, because you need microscopic edges over your competition.

Otherwise, you should probably just enjoy your coffee.

Coffee is a vasoconstrictor, so it shrinks your veins and it seems like you'd want as much blood as possible getting to your muscles after lifting. But a vasoconstrictor increases heart speed so your blood is pumping through your veins FASTER after drinking coffee. But your veins are still constricted more than normal.

I just want some coffee

Ask Skinner, he's in pretty good shape.

The nutritionist Kiefer is a fan of caffeine post-workout, and posts the studies to back it up. An excerpt from one of his articles:

"This is where caffeine comes in handy. If I need to train earlier in the day than is optimal, I drink caffeine before my session and if the training session runs too long, as part of my post-workout nutrition. I don’t have the caffeine—often in the form of coffee because of the additional cholinomimetic stimulants—because of the cognitive-enhancing abilities the fat-burning properties, because it increases testosterone levels during training and not because recent research shows that caffeine increases nitrous oxide (NO) production. I don’t even care that caffeine raises your pain threshold, allowing me to push a little harder. I take the caffeine because it decreases my sensitivity to insulin."

http://athlete.io/665/caffeine-therapy/

Back