Is it fair to say Alex Pereira is the best striker in MMA history?

You forgot Izzy on your list @Safwan ibn Muattal

dpkBD5.gif

Top 20ish maybe.

8 fights in the UFC while having a hilarious size advantage for most of them, and getting badly KOd, isn't screaming "greatest of all time." Honestly, top 20 is probably even a stretch at this point.
even with his knockout, he's top 5 for sure. He's doing it all at championship level at this point.

Seems people don't understand what they are watching.

Alex has got absolutely pristine setups and range finding.

What he did to Jamahal was fucking masterful. He conditioned him with the body jab while assessing distance, conditioned Jamahal to drop his guard, then hit him with exactly the punch Alex was working towards and landed right on the mouth/nose finishing the fight.

Masterclass shit.

3 minutes. Title defense. Easy.

Screenshot_20240416_130517_Google~2.jpg

Last edited:
He’s good. Izzy still KO’d him FLAT LAST but he has those several wins over him before their last fight. His left hook and more important his timing of that particular strike are straight up remarkable.

I would’ve love to see Alex vs Prime Anderson, Wand, Shogun, Vitor and Lyoto. Even Overeem.

I don’t know if he’s the BEST because he hasn’t faced the best strikers. Izzy JUST figured him out and KO’d him. That shit in the past is in the past. He has to prove he’s still better than Izzy TODAY.

Last edited:
Alistair Overeem might be it when looking at credentials. K1 champ and has wins over Aerts, Hari and a bunch of others.
K-1 is a different sport, though, and it's been proven many times that K-1 success didn't always follow fighters into MMA. That's like saying someone is the best MMA wrestler ever because of their credentials in the Olympics, D1, etc.

I think he might be the best striker as far as credentials go. However, MMA striking and Boxing/kick boxing are different. I'm not sure I can give it to him yet as the best MMA striker or All Time yet but he's very good.

even with his knockout, he's top 5 for sure. He's doing it all at championship level at this point.

I don't put much stock in match-ups like this.

17d610b9849df59569d9b8201a26f06b

Oh and Jamahal Hill blows. The fact that he was champ is an indication of how bad the division is right now.

Pereira's clearly a good pure striker but if we're talking all time over all divisions in MMA, no he's not top 5, at least not yet. We'll see over time. I've seen people prove over entire careers that their striking is impeccable and proven against any style while also not having significant size advantages.

Crocop
Schilt
LeBanner (though his MMA career was very short.

There are a lot at the top echelon.

Back