Is it just me or Judo is way harder to learn than wrestling?

Much harder . I wouldn’t say judo practices are harder than wrestling practices though . I’ll take the wrestling room practices at Univ of Iowa over the kodokan any day .

I found Judo WAY more difficult to learn than BJJ. My conclusion is that Judo requires more timing and coordination to perform (tachiwaza).

Also, it is easier to experiment with ground techniques. If you fail, no big deal. You tap. When you fail at Judo standing techniques, you hit the mat hard.

I did Judo twice a week for a year. I lost my fear of falling. But, I suck at throws. I guess that was worth it.

I found Judo WAY more difficult to learn than BJJ. My conclusion is that Judo requires more timing and coordination to perform (tachiwaza).

Also, it is easier to experiment with ground techniques. If you fail, no big deal. You tap. When you fail at Judo standing techniques, you hit the mat hard.

I did Judo twice a week for a year. I lost my fear of falling. But, I suck at throws. I guess that was worth it.

I am about 18 months into Judo now and I definitely remember the fear of being thrown early on. It made me more defensive and for for the first 6 months or so I was too defensive and not learning offense.

Now I take more chances and fight more offensively. Yes I am more open to get thrown quickly, but I am also in a position to throw my opponent

The biggest thing with Judo, is to not be afraid to get thrown and remember to breakfall. I was told if it isn't a comp don't fight the throw, go with it.

It depends. In theory a morote gari isn't any more complex than a wrestlers double leg, and in fact it's probably less technically demanding. Wrestlers will spend years on this position and train it thousands of times a season. Whereas Judo typically spends little time on it because (if I understand correctly) it's banned in most competition.

In execution however if you're doing a morote gari in a gi there are grips to deal with that don't exist in wrestling. Defending even a really good wrestler's power double would be a lot easier if you could hold a sleeve or collar while they're going for it.

As a general rule I think the gi complicates Judo in a way that is far more demanding than wrestling because it creates a lot of options both defensively and offensively that wresters don't have to deal with. Everything in wrestling works more or less the same whether you're in a tuxedo or you're bare ass.

I think the gi is a big factor in why judo (and sambo) takedowns end up being more technically complex than wrestling takedowns. The grips allow you to utilize positions that feel counter-intuitive to most people. You may not feel structurally sound in some judo attacks, but it's OK because you have a dominant grip and your opponent is either carrying your weight or about to go for a ride. In most wrestling techniques it's easier to feel that you have control over your opponent.

I did judo for years as a kid, and the best thing it did for me is that I can take a fall.

Don't get me wrong, I love clinch takedowns, trips, footsweeps, and hip throws.

But learning to fall was fucking clutch for going against serious wrestlers later in adult life.

It also saved me off the mat from getting wrecked a few times by gravity.

Judo sucks and doesn’t work as well, overly relies on gi grips. Once you learn the artificially complicated moves with names you will never remember you need a bad opponent making mistakes to use them. Put a wrestler in a gi and he can defend an experienced Judo players attacks without much problem and the Judo play will get taken down again and again with leg attacks.
This is nonsense. Sambo allows both, and you see more footsweeps, forward throws, and trips than singles and doubles. It's hard to attack the legs with your hands when someone has a grip on your clothing, and you have to relinquish your own grip to attempt it.

Judo sucks and doesn’t work as well, overly relies on gi grips. Once you learn the artificially complicated moves with names you will never remember you need a bad opponent making mistakes to use them. Put a wrestler in a gi and he can defend an experienced Judo players attacks without much problem and the Judo play will get taken down again and again with leg attacks.
Not always.
For example In judo etc might be use false attacks initializations with intent to induce certain move in order to destabilize opponent etc.
Also high level judokas are physically very strong guys so it will not be bullshido vs someone who didn't did decent S/C training.....

agree wholeheartedly

I've been doing a small amount of judo, 1 to 2 times a week, for about 5 years now (although the last year i've been injured in various ways so lets not count that one) - and i am absolutely shit awful at it. All my competition wins are from newaza, because i've done a lot more BJJ than i have judo. I still cant do a decent ippon seio nage on anyone my own size, and its like the first throw you learn. I only really have a couple of clunky foot sweeps and a sumi gaeshi because BJJ guys love to bend forward and give you a big over the top grip, so i get to practice it a lot more.

however i did lose my fear of being thrown so there's that.

I know a bunch of people will say no no no but IMO wrestling is more physical and less technical than judo. That's why it's so effective and why wrestlers are so hard to deal with.

Wrestling involves more forward attacks than judo and less turning/off balancing.

I think the mindset and traing put into a wrestler from day one vs a new WB Judoka (with no prior background) is a huge difference the aggressiveness, determination and physicality.

Day one of judo: start with ukemi so you don't die, then some uchikomis, maybe a nice ogoshi with senior belt on a crash pad and some basic osekomi...you can do some light randori with the nice older brown belt when he needs a break...no you can't randori with your fellow noob yet, we want you to come back...

Day one of HS wrestling: suffer through warm ups, now drill, now wrestle, now do more of the previous, oh you're tired, more suffering, don't look at that other guy throwing up, tape up that broken finger...that guy over there is cutting weight to get to your weight class so he can be on the varsity team since hes been second to the state champ, he will kill you to get his letter....

Personally I was glad I had some hard competitive judo clubs starting out, the intensity was 75 percent of wrestling, but mentally just being able to have fun without a window of time to make something made me a more successful judoka than wrestler (and the 4 years of varsity gave me a huge edge in competition experience and mat time in the novice division...advanced division all changed for me)

(Wrestler turned Judoka turned BJJer sends)

Last edited:
Bullshit. Most of the time anyone was shooting double and singles in judo comps was because the guys didn't worry much about those and didn't even keep a stance.
If someone keeps a good stance and can grab your gi it's hard as fuck to wrestle them down.

Much harder . I wouldn’t say judo practices are harder than wrestling practices though . I’ll take the wrestling room practices at Univ of Iowa over the kodokan any day .
I heard though that Kodokan is good but Judo universities in japan practices are 100 times harder

I think the gi is a big factor in why judo (and sambo) takedowns end up being more technically complex than wrestling takedowns. The grips allow you to utilize positions that feel counter-intuitive to most people. You may not feel structurally sound in some judo attacks, but it's OK because you have a dominant grip and your opponent is either carrying your weight or about to go for a ride. In most wrestling techniques it's easier to feel that you have control over your opponent.
Yes, wrestling is more size and weight dependent also.

The beauty and genius of Judo is the counter intuitive off balancing and throws using leverage from any angle or position as long as you have good grips. This dynamic which results from the Judo gi gives it greater depth than wrestling IMO.
This is also what potentially enables a smaller person to more easily use it effectively against a larger one.

While I still wouldn't bet on a HW Judoka vs HW wrestler in getting the takedown most times , Judo is a more finesse based and biomechanically efficient system that will work less reliant on S&C .

And it spawned BJJ as well.

Back