Is James Hetfield "underrated"?

Nameless Ghoul

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
It's easy to pan him for his now blown out live vocals, and trademark "oooh', "yeah!", and "show me!". But the guy undoubtedly put out 5 legendary albums vocally, while also performing at an amazing level on rhythm guitar. Add to that he could perform it all flawlessly live for 10+ years while "living the life" and maintaining the "image"? He's definitely an all-time great that I really feel he doesn't get the respect he deserves.

Near the peak of his powers..even before the Black album.

Last edited:
His influence to every 90's/late 80's kids who grew up to be musicians/rockers today are undeniable without a doubt. Every rock band I knew during the 2000's has always mentioned Metallica as one of their influences. He's great, and the perfect front man for that band.

I actually hate his vocals and think if both Metallica and Megadeth had different vocalists I would enjoy those bands more

He's one of the most influential rhythm guitarists ever. Top 5 easily and I'm not a Metallica fan at all. His vocals are nothing special, but he's a monster and holds the rhythm on his own. Lars is shit, and Cliff would follow him.

All I know is when I see those 'top guitarists of all time' lists with obligatory Kirk Hammett on them (because they have to choose a Metallica guy I guess so they choose the guy who does the widdling) I think about how Kirk Hammett would be a nobody who isn't on any 'great guitarists' lists if not for Hetfield (while Metallica would still be what they were without Hammett).

He seems to be a case of someone that has been labeled overrated for so long because it was trendy to do so that he actually becomes underrated. At the end of the day, Metallica has quite the discography and managed to have crossover appeal to boot - which when you hear people bellyaching about younger folk not listening to metal anymore I think was taken for granted.

I actually hate his vocals and think if both Metallica and Megadeth had different vocalists I would enjoy those bands more
I don't mind Hetfield, but I do agree about Megadeth.

How is he rated?

As a singer/song writer, guitarist/front-man combo, he should surely be near the top rated in the genre.

Yes. He’s also underrated as a lyricist. Yeah, he wrote “my lifestyle determines my death style” but he also wrote “One”. Metallica always had some pretty cutting lyrics IMO

I don’t know if I’d say underrated. I feel like most musicians who have been exposed to his playing understand how good he is. His rhythm playing is exceptional. His lyrics are vocals are fine and when he plays lead it’s passable—but rhythm is where he shines.

He is a riff writing and rhythm playing monster for the band that put these albums out consecutively...

Metallica_-_Kill_%27Em_All_cover.jpg

Ridetl.png

Metallica_-_Master_of_Puppets_cover.jpg

Metallica_-_...And_Justice_for_All_cover.jpg

...please.

I don't dig their music like I did when I was younger. But one thing I'll always say is I think he's a fantastic player and riff writer. I think the original plan was him to be a guitarist and writer while someone else took over the vocals. It didn't go that way obviously and it worked out...but I might have enjoyed the music more in that case. Who cares though, it's good for them things developed the way they did haha.

I know some might say I'm inconsistent, but I love Megadeth and prefer Mustaine to be the frontman of that band. I also like his playing and writing way more, but respect to James Hetfield.

It's easy to pan him for his now blown out live vocals, and trademark "oooh', "yeah!", and "show me!". But the guy undoubtedly put out 5 legendary albums vocally, while also performing at an amazing level on rhythm guitar. Add to that he could perform it all flawlessly live for 10+ years while "living the life" and maintaining the "image"? He's definitely an all-time great that I really feel he doesn't get the respect he deserves.

Near the peak of his powers..even before the Black album.

If you think he's underrated, where do you think he should be ranked with other legendary vocalists? In the top 20, top 10?

Last edited:
Papa Het gets the respect he deserves. imo and i am a huge fan..

He is not among best vocalists, if you count just vocals. But his overall body of work is very damn impressive (vocals, rhythm guitar, songwriting, being a frontman).

It really depends on who you ask. I think Metallica fatigue is very real and the dearth of quality music they've released since Load has really hurt their standing amongst those who aren't hardcore fans and bombard you with their greatness.

That said, as a kid, I loved Metallica. Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, And Justice for All and the Black Album are all records that vacillate from good to all time, pantheon rock records. At their apex, they're one of the best bands of their era who are an incredibly seminal band to that time frame. At their worst, they're an overrated albatross of a band with too much hubris and history to know when to quit, made worse by their overbearing fans and some truthfully cringe moments - Napster (which at the time I don't fault them for); their documentary; Lulu; paintings; money grabs, the Newstead bullshit - that kind of put a damper on my perception of them despite knowing their early quality.

So, to answer your question, I don't really know. It depends on who you ask. I think James is horribly overrated as a lyricist. It's almost as if he's playing shameful parody of his former self with these songs. The melodies are gone. Still, in the 80s, as a whole, they could do no wrong.

I guess with all that money, it doesn't really matter.

Metallica is my all time favorite band. I've seen them too many times to count. Had the chance to meet them in January of 2009 before their gig here at Nassau Coliseum. Here is a photo of James and myself. Greatest moment in my life. Got Rob to sign Suicidal Tendencies 1990 album Lights...Camera...Revolution! which was the first ST release he played bass on. The band members were great. The best part of was spending I'd say a good 30 minute talking with Kirk Hammett about our mutual love of the horror genre. He could have easily just had his photo taken with me and signed my stuff and have been done with me.
NSmtUXw.jpg

James is definitely underrated in regards to his guitar playing. Many have said and I will say it too that James is the God of down picking. His down picking is extremely fast and accurate. He is the reason I got a starter Squier guitar for Christmas back in 96 when I was 12. I have now been playing guitar for a little less than 24 years.

It's been beaten to death but the first four and you could even include the fifth record the Black album if you want are the best albums the band has recorded. There is a decent amount of music post those that are just as good as the material written black and earlier. For me personally the two greatest songs post Black are Bleeding Me and The Outlaw Torn which are both on Load released in 1996. It is that album and the bands follow up ReLoad in 97 that get the most hate from fans. If we were to allow the collaboration with Lou Reed Lulu I can safely most everyone would say that is the groups worst material. But, yeah both Load and ReLoad have some legendary songs. Lars and company should have picked the best material they were working on and just released Load with that. Two albums was a bit excessive and even Lars himself admitted that in an interview recently

The Best right hand in metal. No one could fuck with '88 Hetfield. The guys from Meshuggah ( GOATs) have often said hes the greatest rhythm guitarist ever. That's some pretty high praise .

I don't think he's underrated or overrated. I think he gets the respect that is due to him. I think that he had an incredible peak in mid 80s to early 90s, and then ran out of good ideas, yet was / is still able to perform well enough.

Back