Is KO Power more technique or just lucky genetics ?

EPO helps a lot with cardio, or like Merab would say Eepoh.

Pretty interesting video. Merab's cardio is probably the best I've ever seen and definitely sus, but innocent till proven guilty.

Even just training boxing for a few months I can say that technique will be the biggest factor in giving someone KO power.

Technical understanding of body mechanics can give people who otherwise have less muscle mass or explosive power the ability to knock someone out.

KO artists like Inoue, Beterbiev, GGG, and more have very solid technique behind them they’re not just hard punchers they’re technical too.

Of course windmilling your arm at someone can knock them out too.

Technique plays big role for example merab dvalishvili is fuckin monster he is strong he would have realy powerful punches but he never puts weight in his punches never uses hips only throws arm punches
Very good point right here.

Force = Mass * Acceleration

All this "god given" stuff is just bullshit.

Of course some people have genetics that suit this very well or are naturally good at timing or precision to apply the force to the best spot at the right time.

Technique is the biggest factor because it effects all of the above.

Force = Mass * Acceleration

All this "god given" stuff is just bullshit.

Of course some people have genetics that suit this very well or are naturally good at timing or precision to apply the force to the best spot at the right time.

Technique is the biggest factor because it effects all of the above.
Technique has almost zero bearing on your mass nor your fast-twitch fiber muscles.

You can build your mass and your fast-twitch fiber muscles through training and exercise... to an extent. The maximum your body can retain those however is purely genetic.

No matter how hard you try, if you aren't 6'5 you can't become 6'5.
No matter how hard you try, if you don't have the fast-twitch fiber muscles of Usain Bolt you can't be as fast Usain Bolt.

There are limits to where our genetics max us out athletically, and at the highest level of sports those maximums matter. It's the difference between the best in the world and the 20th best in the world.

Last edited:
Definitely mostly genetics. Length of certain bones in relation to others, connecting spots of tendons on those bones, making up a musculo-mechanical structure more conducive to the kinetic chain needed to produce power. For example, I have a terrible squat because I have long femurs and legs in general which puts more weight on the end of a long fulcrum making the motion harder to perform. Then theres intentionality. Some guys have worse intentions than others. Technique is probably third in importance.

Carwin had wrecking balls attached to his wrists. Hand size is an often overlooked factor but is very important.
GGG has said that he trains his hand muscles in order to increase their mass and KO power.

Interesting how Carwin and Brock both have similar head shape to guys like Barry Bonds and Brock and Carwin both had exaggerated oversized hands.

They made a big deal about Brocks 3xl gloves and Carwins 5xl gloves In the lead up to that fight as i recall.

I bet all those guys did quite a lot of exercises to their hands and jaws and temples to make such impressive gains of glove size and head shape in their late 20s-early 30s. <Y2JSmirk>

Great punch placement can amplify your power, and great natural power helps make it so you don't need to be so pin point accurate to get the job done. Carwin is an example of natural power. He had such large and dense fists that it made his punches like getting hit with a mace. They were just so heavy at the end from that big dense contact point that he really didn't need to be accurate or even thrown with much exertion to really hurt you, he just needed to throw it out there. Then you have a guy like Conor who really isn't anything mind blowing for raw power in his strikes. But during his prime he had terrific accuracy that really stunned guys very severely when he placed his shots. But genetics at the end of the day are always going to be a trump card as to whether you have natural power or not.

Billy Goddard stiffed 3 kids in 5th grade and never trained a day.

It is mostly knowing when and where to place your shots. Genetics also plays a big part tho

Some people are simply born with better kinetic intelligence. And genetics. There are people born with inherent power.

End of the day, technique trumps power though. It's the well placed shots they don't see (that don't require much power) that typically result in a KO. Now if you've got super power to add to that, all the much better.

It’s the triangulation of the 3 H’s
Hips, Height and Hairline

Back