Is Pereira the luckiest SoB alive or why do they keep wanting to stand and bang with him?

mr.sandman

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I just dont get it why to these fighters keep wanting to stand and bang with Pereira. Hes a glory two weight champion, his standup is from another realm and his power. Adesanya had a kickboxing match with him, Strickland wanted to bang with him, okey Jiri tried to hold him down too but failed and got owned on the feet. Now Jamahal Hill says he will knock him out on the feet. To me this seems ridicolous. Easy money for Pereira

It’s not that they don’t try. Glover is doing some proper work with that man. He is hard to keep down. And people hate it, because he is a kickboxer and shouldn’t perform so well. So now they bank on Ankalaev to “put him in his place”. If Ank fails, the whole division is crap anyway.

Cause he's been hand fed nothing but strikers.

He is probably the best striker of all time in mma. High skill insane power. Knocked out strickland, jiri, tko-d adesanya. If jamahal really wants to stand with him, id be very suprised if he managed to do well on the feet.

I think MMA fans tend to overestimate the weakness to grappling of a lot of kickboxers personally, "he'll loose to the first wrestler he faces" tends to be the standard response to one doing well, sometimes its true but I think Alex has shown pretty decent grappling plus his style is I think quite friendly to takedown defence, not a lot of fast movement.

He's being fed strikers and they're probably getting the same warning that Chuck and... Wonderboy?... got about going to the ground.

It's not just when fighting Pereira...

Apart from the dagestani guys and a few others nobody seems to want to Fitch their way into victories anymore despite being a very effective style.

It's either the retarded Cormier theory of "I don't want to wrestle because I get tired"

or the other retarded theory of "I want to stand up and bang for the fans"

I just dont get it why to these fighters keep wanting to stand and bang with Pereira. Hes a glory two weight champion, his standup is from another realm and his power. Adesanya had a kickboxing match with him, Strickland wanted to bang with him, okey Jiri tried to hold him down too but failed and got owned on the feet. Now Jamahal Hill says he will knock him out on the feet. To me this seems ridicolous. Easy money for Pereira

Here is his UFC fights and how many times he got taken down vs take down attempts.

Michaledis 2/7
Silva 2/8
Strickland 0/0
Izzy 1/4
Izzy 0/0
Jan 3/8
Jiri 1/3

So the only fights his opponents didn't try was Izzy rematch and Strickland. Other than that, they all try hard.

Well if they are making people stand with him so we can have a show, praise be to them. Very exiting to watch. He can knock out literally anyone

Here is his UFC fights and how many times he got taken down vs take down attempts.

Michaledis 2/7
Silva 2/8
Strickland 0/0
Izzy 1/4
Izzy 0/0
Jan 3/8
Jiri 1/3

So the only fights his opponents didn't try was Izzy rematch and Strickland. Other than that, they all try hard.
Good statistics. I dont know if that counts as trying hard though. I think if you try hard you can do close to 10 attempts per round

Last edited:
Because he’s in garbage divisions with champions who aren’t wrestlers. It’s not his fault his divisions suck.

Jan fight shows what happens when non-wrestlers try to go full D1 and grind out a win like that for 3+ rounds, they gas. You have to be a primary wrestler to have the grappling cardio to make it late. Pereira isn't a guy you can take out early on the ground.

Jan fight shows what happens when non-wrestlers try to go full D1 and grind out a win like that for 3+ rounds, they gas. You have to be a primary wrestler to have the grappling cardio to make it late. Pereira isn't a guy you can take out early on the ground.
That fight was at elevation though. It might have turned out differently if it weren't. However I do agree that people are underestimating Alex's ability to get off his back if put there. He's a big guy and Glover is teaching him well. Each fight he's getting better and better defending take down's and getting up. If he continues to improve at the same rate I could see even Ank having a hard time getting him down and keeping him there if that match up ends up happening that is.

Back