Is Randy Johnson the greatest pitcher ever?

I wouldn't say greatest, most intimidating for sure. But I suppose it's how you weigh it. Most consistency, better prime, better accolades. For me it's who would you want pitching game 7 of the World Series.
I think most would say Bob Gibson was more intimidating but different eras. RJ was a force with an very Long shelf life .

Last edited:
Roger Clemens was more dominant for a longer period of time compared to RJ.

For that era I'd go

1 Clemens
2 Pedro Martinez
3 Randy Johnson

“Without a doubt, the most intimidating pitcher in the history of the game”

-Randy Johnson on Nolan Ryan.

I hope so, as I have several of his rookie and insert cards. In reality, there were better pitchers, statistically. And are we talking about starting pitchers and relief pitchers? Within relief pitchers, there are middle relievers, long relievers, set up, and closers.

If we are strictly talking about starters, without looking into the numbers, I would venture to say Walter "The Big Train" Johnson, Grover "Old Pete" Cleveland Alexander, or Christy "The Gentleman's Hurler" Mathewson were better starters than Randy "The Big Unit" Johnson.

Last edited:
He's definitely up there. I was watching a game where they mentioned he was a photographer / videographer and works the cameras for some of the games now.

I've got Pedro Martinez and Greg Maddux over Randy Johnson for that time period.

I want to say Roger Clemens as well but his stint in Houston was sketchy as hell. Either PEDs or the old Houston foreign substance shit. No way he just randomly found the fountain of youth after his numbers started trailing off with the Yankees in the exact same manner that Pedro, Maddux and RJs did at the tail end of their careers.

short answer - yes
long answer - yeah, probably

So glad I got to watch the big unit pitch for the dbacks at bank one ballpark back in 2000. That was his prime.

Nolan Ryan. Easily. Still holds the record for most strikeouts (5714) and no hitters (7). No one is gonna touch those. I also read that when he was pitching, the radar guns weren't accurate and they have since been recalibrated or fixed somehow, and taking into account for that error, he was throwing at 106-109 mph at the time. He was an old bastard too.

I wouldn't say greatest, most intimidating for sure. But I suppose it's how you weigh it. Most consistency, better prime, better accolades. For me it's who would you want pitching game 7 of the World Series.

Dave Stewart was a very intimidating pitcher too in his prime. He had that death stare that would scare the devil himself.

he’s one that i get to tell my kids i saw pitch live when i was young. Unreal arm and endurance

Back