Is Sean O’Malley underrated or overrated ?

His striking is probably the best in the division due to his accuracy and length. He still gets exposed on the ground against the best guys though. I thought he lost to Yan so I don't see him as even a top 5 guy atm. Sean cheated a lot in that fight btw.

He's rated about right at this point imo. I initially thought he was kind of a glass cannon, but that fight with Yan was a war, and he fought through being rocked and taking some damage.

Very good striker, likely struggles with the elite grapplers. But he puts on fun scraps.

O'malley is a great fighter without a doubt and there is no debate about that and he beats 90% of his division. He is smooth, great movement, great understanding of timing and superb striking.. The only issue is that a heavy grappling Sterling is an stylistically nightmare match-up hence I don't fancy his chances against Aljo but now that being said his a great fighter and I would pick him against any non-heavy grappling fighter even against Chito rematch Suga sean stand-up is to smooth for these guys..

I would say he is somewhat underrated and way way better then his rated.. He is a sniper with great timing.. O'Malley can smoke any striker and basically 90% of the division he will only have issues with guys like Sterling who are grappling heavy fighters and there aren't many of them in his division outside of 2 or 1 other

I like him because he has an exciting style.. but I think he's too scrawny for the weight class. The fact that he has made it to a title shot is incredible. But I give him like a 1/10 chance to beat Sterling.

I like him because he has an exciting style.. but I think he's too scrawny for the weight class. The fact that he has made it to a title shot is incredible. But I give him like a 1/10 chance to beat Sterling.
Imagine him as a 5’11 flyweight ?

I'd say it depends on who you ask, relative to his rank he's certainly overrated and I thought he lost to Yan. I think his striking is overrated too, besides Yan the only good fighters he ever fought were Chito and Munhoz and he couldn't get much going. Omalleys striking is definitely good but I don't have tons of reason to think "it's the best". As for his durability, cardio, gamesmanship and grappling? They're all a bit unknown outside of the singular performance vs Yan.

So overrated but clearly talented. A bit untested overall and by a bit, Omalley himself has admitted to not having faced a strong grappler yet in his career and turning down the Aljo fight to give himself more time to prepare for the wrestling.

Other than a very questionable win against Petr Yan I think a lot of people are overrating his skills, a lot of this is based on being surprised he didn’t get steamrolled like everyone thought. People are acting like he’s been consistently out-striking the top 5 in the division. Even in the Yan fight he wasn’t throughly controlling the standup.

What top ranked competition has he really looked great in to warrant such lauded praise as “best striker in the division”? Munhoz? Chito? It certainly isn’t Mountinho or the ghost of Eddie Wineland.

Last edited:
At #2, I believe he is overrated.

He should not have jumped from 12 to 2 with the Yan win. He should have been about #5.

But so what. Every week there are a few short term inefficiencies in the rankings. Now he'll either prove that he belongs there, or he won't.

EDIT: HA! After posting I quickly perused through this thread, and I seem to be the only person discussing his actual ranking. That's funny to me.

Last edited:
Not overrated. He looked terrific in the Yan fight and I think he earned the decision in that fight as well. His battle with Yan proved to me he belongs. He has good TD defense and he hits harder than what I initially thought. Sterling's the better grappler but I think O'Malley has the edge over him in the striking. They both have great fight IQ.

Seems like it could go either way, what are your thoughts on the #2 ranked BW in the world ?

Likely Aljo will putting another award winning acting performance. I hope for a double ko. If smally can get to a decision, he likely will get a gift

About right imo, maybe slightly overrated. I think he’s probably more athletic than people give him credit for, and he’s got a huge frame for 135. I still think he is very beatable for Sterling and other top guys in the division.

Not a fan. He's more fragile then glass.very injury prone but he impressed me in defeat vs Yan. Abysmal robbery but he held his own.

Back