Is The Beatles the most influential band?

Is The Beatles the most influential band?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Who else is out there that influenced music the way The Beatles did for rock in particular.

51cai1F3ghL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I think it's an interesting debate. The Beatles, Clapton, Stones, etc were all influenced heavily by artists like Chuck Berry, Little Richard, etc. Those guys were inspired by really old school artists like Robert Johnson.

Meanwhile, Hendrix influenced every guitarist that came after him. Cobain, Tupac, Dylan, etc. Ultimately it's subjective. I don't know there is a clear answer.

Hard to say, all music is inspired and or stolen by someone before.

That said, Beatles inspired Ozzy and Sabbath who are widely regarded as the fathers of metal...

Yes.

They were influenced by others, for sure, but the Beatles influenced almost everyone of that era, and many afterwards.

Don’t care for them all too much, if I’m being honest, but if you listen to what the artists themselves say, I feel the Beatles were the most influential.

Last edited:
Honestly I feel like the bigger acts are generally less influential than underground, cult following, and specialized taste stuff.

Like Velvet Underground is one of, if not the, most influential but they weren't huge.

I think it's an interesting debate. The Beatles, Clapton, Stones, etc were all influenced heavily by artists like Chuck Berry, Little Richard, etc. Those guys were inspired by really old school artists like Robert Johnson.

Meanwhile, Hendrix influenced every guitarist that came after him. Cobain, Tupac, Dylan, etc. Ultimately it's subjective. I don't know there is a clear answer.

I think you’re on the right track. The Beatles were influenced by Elvis who was influenced by delta blues musicians. Most influential band in rock is a tough debate, but the blues kinda kickstarted modern music imo.

Honestly I feel like the bigger acts are generally less influential than underground, cult following, and specialized taste stuff.

Like Velvet Underground is one of, if not the, most influential but they weren't huge.

Definitely. Pretty much started shoegaze which inspired many modern rock and even metal artists (Smashing Pumpkins, Deftones, etc)

Personally I've never liked their music but their influence can't be denied

There big influence I spose was pushing the idea that rock music could aspire to be more than party music, the Beatlemania years might well have been a fad akin to several other pop artists but being able to take that fanbase and keep them listening to albums like Revolver and Sgt Pepper did likely have a significant impact.

In terms of the actual language of rock music though I would say personally Hendrix probably had the biggest impact, the idea of the swaggering rock artist with heavy guitar work I think really shifts forward significantly with him and it didnt actually take much to achieve it, just the debut album and purple haze/Hey Joe I think had most of the impact.

100%

You should also fix the thread title from “is” to “are”.

Personally I've never liked their music but their influence can't be denied
I tend to think part of the issue is there music is talked up as something unique, I think its ambition in the mid 60's was fairly unique at the time and its sucess played a massive part but really in retrospect I think most of their career is just a very large body of catchy pop music.

I think you could argue some of Lennons stuff around 66-67 was somewhat unique, stuff like Strawberry Fields Forever and his tracks on Revolver, theres not much else which really sounds like them.

Last edited:
Yes, although I never cared for their music. Whenever a song of theirs comes on the radio I change the station.

I think you’re on the right track. The Beatles were influenced by Elvis who was influenced by delta blues musicians. Most influential band in rock is a tough debate, but the blues kinda kickstarted modern music imo.

The Beatles(and virtually every other rock group from the 60's) were influenced by Elvis. But also, and heavily, by other LR, CB, BH, etc. The Beatles name was an homage to Buddy Holly and the Crickets. Some of McCartney's early tracks and mannerisms were pretty obviously inspired by Little Richard.

This was what #1 hits sounded like in 1962.

Then The Beatles happened. So you decide.

Up there for sure. I think Kraftwerk have an argument too though. Massively influential across electronic music and hip hop. Also a lot of pop production too actually.

Back