Is the first half of a run all mental

AZ103

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Recently ive been running 3 times per week 2-3 miles. Its all trail running with some hills. Ive been running with an out of shape buddy and the dude comes out the gate running a good pace for the first 1.5 miles. I keep on him because hes fat and i dont want to get embarrassed but i always get exhausted and start breathing heavy as fuck. Right around the time he dies is when i start getting in the zone and picking it up even going faster than his pace. Sometimes it takes up to 2 miles before i ever feel i hit my groove or "get in the zone". Its like i have to blow my lungs out or something first.

anyways im frustrated because i dont want to lie to myself like "hes just a fast starter" or "well he cant hold that pace". If i just need to man the fuck up through the hardest part of the run then so be it. Afterall if hes out of shape and i know he cant hold his pace then i shouls be able to match it and then still lean on my deeper cardio base.

So is first mile or so of running all mental? Or do yall also need a bit of warmup before you hit your full speed?

Some smart man once said that 90 percent of running game is 50 percent mental

Some smart man once said that 90 percent of running game is 50 percent mental
What a useless post. I ended up looking it up and apparently yes the first mile is always the hardest according to runners. It said simply your body does not have enough oxygen for the heavy demand but as you run and breathe harder you up your oxygen pumping through to your body and the run becomes easier.

What a useless post. I ended up looking it up and apparently yes the first mile is always the hardest according to runners. It said simply your body does not have enough oxygen for the heavy demand but as you run and breathe harder you up your oxygen pumping through to your body and the run becomes easier.

you apperantly missed the reference but yes post wasnt intended as serious one

now for serious answer, for myself at least start of the run is hardest but then it gets easy

you apperantly missed the reference but yes post wasnt intended as serious one

now for serious answer, for myself at least start of the run is hardest but then it gets easy
I got the reference i was just at work and in the zone. Thus the douche reply. My b dude im at home with the gym and ganja now.

It's normal to get a "second wind".

For me the end of a run is usually the hardest. Beginning is hard, then I get into a zone, then it's a struggle for the last km or so.

7-10 km is a good run for me.

Once I get past the first ten minutes or so then I'm fine.

However were getting to that weird weather season: winter in the morning, mild spring in the afternoon. If I run its in the morning so this means one thing: itchy freaking skin. Doesn't matter what I wear or eat/don't eat...the moment I start I get all itchy and it takes forever to go away if it does

Once I get past the first ten minutes or so then I'm fine.

However were getting to that weird weather season: winter in the morning, mild spring in the afternoon. If I run its in the morning so this means one thing: itchy freaking skin. Doesn't matter what I wear or eat/don't eat...the moment I start I get all itchy and it takes forever to go away if it does
51vJarIF5pL._SY355_.jpg

Try adding a day of sprints.

Break neck - full out - collapse at the end kind of sprints.

100m x 8 should start you off.

But I guarantee after a few of those you first mile won't feel like anything difficult.

Guarantee.

If you're doing an easy run then perhaps.

If you're busting your ass then the last half or 3rd is always going to be the hardest - because that time you've pretty much used up your wind and energy and you have to dig deep and shut those voices off that are telling you to stop or that you can't catch your breath.

First 5 minutes is hard, then your body adjusts.

I try and pace myself a bit more so I can train consistently more often (Sign of my age), but I used to do hard 3-4 milers after MT training when I got home and the first 5 minutes was a balls out...up hill, so that always got my legs burning (even more after a 2 hour training session finishing 30 min prior).

Recently ive been running 3 times per week 2-3 miles. Its all trail running with some hills. Ive been running with an out of shape buddy and the dude comes out the gate running a good pace for the first 1.5 miles. I keep on him because hes fat and i dont want to get embarrassed but i always get exhausted and start breathing heavy as fuck. Right around the time he dies is when i start getting in the zone and picking it up even going faster than his pace. Sometimes it takes up to 2 miles before i ever feel i hit my groove or "get in the zone". Its like i have to blow my lungs out or something first.

I'm confused if this is a race or not?

A two or 3-mile race is pretty tactical. You need to 'maintain contact' with the fast starter. Meaning you can't let them get such a lead that there's no way of catching them. But, if they start too fast, then you have to let them go and hope they burn out.

Regardless. What are your splits for each of the 3 miles, OP? Go to www.gmap-pedometer.com and trace out the route you run. Then find some landmarks at each mile and get your mile-splits.

I may be reading too much into it, but it sounds like you're pacing off your buddy. If he's in front, then you think you're slow, and if you're in front, then you're fast. It's a good thing if he's pushing you at the beginning, but once he dies off, you don't have that motivation to push.

As a general rule, you should start off finding your pace in the 1st/3rd, coast/evaluate the competition in the 2nd/3rd, and focus on that finish line during the last 3rd. Also, you should be aiming for negative splits. Meaning you should run the second half faster than the first.

Back