Is the Triangle Choke Dead in High Level MMA

No way triangle choke is dead. People use it all the time.

People have had to get better at identifying it & defending it "because" it is so valid.

If you're up against a legitimate grappler in MMA, the only consistent way to really secure them is to explode into it and catch your opponent completely off-guard in a transition. Here's my favourite one from Charles Oliveira vs Darren Elkins:

2912vc6.gif

Methodically working towards a triangle choke from your back is not only really difficult and dangerous due to the inherent threat of getting your face elbowed, but also strategically dim, since guys can literally just back away as soon as you open your guard.

You would have to be a master of utilizing the rubber guard and that type of stuff to eliminate those factors, and even then, the guy on top can just stall and wait for a referee stand-up and you have to reset.

If you're up against a legitimate grappler in MMA, the only consistent way to really secure them is to explode into it and catch your opponent completely off-guard in a transition. Here's my favourite one from Charles Oliveira vs Darren Elkins:

2912vc6.gif

Methodically working towards a triangle choke from your back is not only really difficult and dangerous due to the inherent threat of getting your face elbowed, but also strategically dim, since guys can literally just back away as soon as you open your guard.

You would have to be a master of utilizing the rubber guard and that type of stuff to eliminate those factors, and even then, the guy on top can just stall and wait for a referee stand-up and you have to reset.

What a Slam he ended up in half or side mount but Olivera still got to possition for the Tri

All it takes to escape is a firm thumb press on the balloon knot.

Why would someone work from the bottom when the rounds are 5 minutes and they know for a fact that if they don't finish they lose? You score zero points from the bottom. ZERO.

I didn't know that. I thought fighters were scored on their offense from their back too or at least from any guard position. I think BJJ experts would find it more comfortable to work from any guard. The threat of a leg/ankle lock from the bottom is a high possibility. I don't think Toquinho, Aoki or Garry Tonon would be afraid of not finishing their opponent from the bottom if they had five minutes to do so.

We need Chael to come out of retirement so we can start seeing triangles again

Which is sad, because offensive guard and hooking a guillotine (which would be easier to do without glovees) is still an really effective way to take someone out assuming they aren't armed with a knife in the real world.

I've been going back and rewatching some UFC fights (like 189 and 200) and even when dudes give their backs and their heads, people don't go for the rear neck as much as I would if in those situations. I wonder if they are also coaching these guys to not go for subs as much because of the amount of energy used.

Part of the reason is that it's generally disadvantageous on the score cards to be on the bottom.

Yeah buddy!

Attachments

• Nate-middle-fingers-Pellegrino.jpg
    Nate-middle-fingers-Pellegrino.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 6
Every now and again this damn thread is brought up and the correct answer is No it isn't.

If you NOOBS did UFC you would know the triangle is effective. I could call out any number of a million submissions and ask why you don't see it in UFC more.

I do UFC. I know.

Back