Is True Detective season one, the best season in television history?

Is True Detective season one, the best season in television history?

• Total voters
It's actually one that passed me by, I rarely watched TV shows other than a few favourites or some sketch shows back in the 90's. Always been more for movies. I've only just finished Breaking Bad, took over a year to get through it!
Did you enjoy it?!
I mention The League of Gentlemen because we both have odd and similar senses of humour for the macabre quite often.

I absolutely love The League of Gentlemen.
YAY!!! Psychoville and Inside Number 9 as well?

I went to a The League of Gentlemen pantomime at Hammersmith Apollo. People thought it was a normal panto and brought their children then had a fit when Lazarou came out.

Did you enjoy it?!
I mention The League of Gentlemen because we both have odd and similar senses of humour for the macabre quite often.
I was blown away like i was hoping by BB but I'm glad I watched it. Last season was worth hanging on for. I keep forgetting to watch El Camino

I've seen a little of League Of Gentleman here and there, I reckon if it had been a couple of years earlier when I was still a massive stoner I would have loved it

Top 3 for me.
8039766.gif

@m
I was blown away like i was hoping by BB but I'm glad I watched it. Last season was worth hanging on for. I keep forgetting to watch El Camino

I've seen a little of League Of Gentleman here and there, I reckon if it had been a couple of years earlier when I was still a massive stoner I would have loved it
El Camino is like an extended episode of BB, I still went on opening night to see it at the cinema, I was completely enthralled with BB.

It's weird in a Monty Python sort of way but weirder. I've been doing the Papa Lazarou Santa av on here since I joined. I know you'd be a fan if you ever get round to it.

Nah. The anticlimactic final act shaved off a point or two. I think the first eight episodes were a bit of a fluke, given the drastic drop in quality of the rest of the series. It's was quality and good fun up until it shit the bed, though. The theories in here were wild to read.

YAY!!! Psychoville and Inside Number 9 as well?

I went to a The League of Gentlemen pantomime at Hammersmith Apollo. People thought it was a normal panto and brought their children then had a fit when Lazarou came out.
I haven't seen either of those unfortunately. I'm so busy I don't get chance to watch much TV and when I do it's almost always with my wife (and they wouldn't be her thing).
I will get to them at some stage though.

I bet the panto was amazing. I would love to have seen that (and the reactions of the kids/parents that went!).

Not quite the same but I did catch The Mighty Boosh live which was awesome.

I put top 20, it might be top 10 though. The writing, directing, and performances were all excellent.

Stuff like this is always tough though. By what criteria do you determine if True Detective Season 1 is better than The Simpsons Season 4?

My "best seasons ever" list would probably have some breaking bad, the beginning and end of the wire, Stranger Things season 1, Community season 2, some early South Park, Atlanta, Louie season 3 & 4

I haven't seen either of those unfortunately. I'm so busy I don't get chance to watch much TV and when I do it's almost always with my wife (and they wouldn't be her thing).
I will get to them at some stage though.

I bet the panto was amazing. I would love to have seen that (and the reactions of the kids/parents that went!).

Not quite the same but I did catch The Mighty Boosh live which was awesome.
Bot the same but in the same remit. I always liked Noel and Russell Brand doing The Great Quiz of The Year, they were sweet.
My other half thought I was bonkers liking The League of Gentlemen and didn't like it at all till I dragged him to the film, then he got into it. The "Hello, Dave?" blackface t shirt I bought him is firmly back in the wardrobe though.
If you find your way to Psychoville you'll love it. Not AS good as TLoG but still brilliant.

Bot the same but in the same remit. I always liked Noel and Russell Brand doing The Great Quiz of The Year, they were sweet.
My other half thought I was bonkers liking The League of Gentlemen and didn't like it at all till I dragged him to the film, then he got into it. The "Hello, Dave?" blackface t shirt I bought him is firmly back in the wardrobe though.
If you find your way to Psychoville you'll love it. Not AS good as TLoG but still brilliant.
I say my wife wouldn't be into Psychoville but she did really like some of TLoG, in particular Papa Lazarou and Tubbs. We should give it a go.

Nah. The anticlimactic final act shaved off a point or two. I think the first eight episodes were a bit of a fluke, given the drastic drop in quality of the rest of the series. It's was quality and good fun up until it shit the bed, though. The theories in here were wild to read.
I honestly dont think theres anything bad with that last episode. They get their man, get fucked up, find a disgusting monster, and a creepy scenario.

I wish there was a way to do another season with them. Jesus christ, the dialogue between those 2 was as good if not better than deniro and pesci arguing in their movies.

The Wire > everything but as far as best single season I think True Detective season 1 (2 is also great) or Chernobyl.

Need an option for "Doesn't make my top 30".

For me it’s the best. I definitely remember it having a couple flaws, but overall it’s just so brilliant.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back