Media Islam Makhachev: I'm getting out of fights in my division, nothing exciting there. Hoping to get Leon fight with 2 wins.

I wouldn't really be against Islam getting Leon if he beats DP and Arman cause Gamrot is boring and would not sell PPV's and Gaethje getting slept by Max kind of deflated people's interest in seeing him fight for a title now.

Ok but since he won the belt he was due to rematch Olives who received a cut.

Apparently Armans team backed out as well.

He fought and rematched the p4p no 1 and imo Volk was far more a threat than anyone in his own division per his great performance in the first fight.
I'm aware of Oliveira getting a cut but Gamrot was the planned back up that had full prep time, instead someone decided he fight Volkanovski on short notice(i don't reallt care whos decision it was, thats not my point, he could have fought a ranked LW that had a full camp). Arman already fought Islam on short notice, doing so again would be dumb cause he actually has a good chance of beating him with a full camp.

Volkanovski gave him a close fight with a full camp, Arman gave him a close fight on less than 2 weeks notice 5 years ago when he was 22 years old in his UFC debut.

I agree. Aside from Arman, who is there? Idgaf about Max, Justin or Dustin fighting him.

Sadly this speaks to a shift in mentality in recent years. Fans complained about all those fighters not moving up forever. UFC opened the door and now it’s become the only thing fighters want to do. Every champion has discussed wanting to do it, many before they even defended once. It’s a shortcut to greatness while risking nothing. Get one win and you’re a double champion, which seems like the pinnacle. But winning one fight is far easier than winning 10 when everybody is gunning for you.

Tbh I didn’t want to see Islam vs Justin,

If he beats Dustin and Arman, I want to see him tested at 170.

Gamrot has no name.

In this day and age it isn’t. But I’d like to go back to where guys defended their titles twice that many times. Just tired of jumping divisions in general, not just with Islam.

I don’t give a fuck about that.

I want to see the biggest fights, and fighters challenged.

If Shavkat becomes champion, something tells me guys from LW will be much more hesitant on moving up for the belt.

I actually think a fight between Islam and Shavkat would be good. Would much rather see that than Islam against Leon. Let Leon beat Belal, then Shavkat take the belt from Leon, and Islam beat Dustin and Gamrot and then book that fight.

Honnestly who do you think can beat him in lightweight ?
Be honnest

I dont see anyone

I'm aware of Oliveira getting a cut but Gamrot was the planned back up that had full prep time, instead someone decided he fight Volkanovski on short notice(i don't reallt care whos decision it was, thats not my point, he could have fought a ranked LW that had a full camp). Arman already fought Islam on short notice, doing so again would be dumb cause he actually has a good chance of beating him with a full camp.

Volkanovski gave him a close fight with a full camp, Arman gave him a close fight on less than 2 weeks notice 5 years ago when he was 22 years old in his UFC debut.

Gamrot sucks, he barely won against an over he hill RDA... Shirt notice Prime Volk is way better.

Haha you cry babies are funny.

If Islam continues to fight at LW - "Oh what a weight bully! He never challenged himself by moving up! LOSER"

I've Never heard anyone EVER call him a weight bully, The arguement is, AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN that he doesn't fight the top guys in his division.

NO ONE wants to see a champ move up who hasn't beaten the best fighters in their own Division. you can play whatever mental gymnastics you want, Twist the argument however it suits your needs, but the reality is right in front of you. Islam is LW champ with 2 defenses and ONE top 10 LW win in his WHOLE CAREER. Charles didn't even get to fight for the title until he had Several top 10 wins. Same with Justin, same with dustin, same with Eddie.

Islam is not only exempt from same expectations of any other contender in any division, but seems to also be exempt from any criticism.

Last edited:
Aside from Jones, Islam is the best fighter in the UFC currently. Him having to fight Dustin Poirier is an insult to the intelligence of real fans.

The only way Islam will truly be challenged is moving up in weight, those who know, know. The rest are just haters.

The guy has 2 wins in the current top 10 and one is from 5 years ago when Arman was green and making his UFC debut. Islam has literally only beaten one contender in his division. It's far too early to be arguing he has no challenges.

It makes zero sense to be talking about moving up when he isn't even a top 5 all time lightweight yet. Beat Poirier, Arman, and Gamrot and then we can talk about moving up.

Islam stans are confusing his potential with what he's actually done in the sport. They think he's going to beat contenders 1 through 5, therefore they don't even want the fights to happen. That's not how MMA works.

You have got to be kidding me, who has he fought? his resume is very weak, he has fought a few top guys. There are tons of fighters at LW he hasn't fought yet, defend the belt against all the number 1 contenders like champions are supposed to do. So tired of all this so called superfight nonsense, there are no superfights, no one has done anything in UFC. unless its Jones. I'll look into it again once Islam has 15+ title fights

Back