Media Islam Makhachev: I'm getting out of fights in my division, nothing exciting there. Hoping to get Leon fight with 2 wins.

This'll get everyone riled up:
Former featherweight, Dustin Poirier

Poirier's legacy is at lightweight, not featherweight. You can ignore his entire featherweight career and he's still a top 10 lightweight of all time. Volk is not.

Mak can not win a single verbal battle with his legacy right now. He can only just continue to win fights.

-says Arman turned him down, yet arman fought charles because he couldn't get islam to fight him in the first place
-says holloway needs to beat 2 more ppl before he fights for the lightweight belt, once again entertaining fighting a featherweight
-says there's NO GOOD FIGHTS IN THE LIGHTWEIGHT DIVISION... not a single title defense against a top lightweight, and he's only scooping up poirer at last, lower in the rankings, and giving him less than 3 months notice

this is reaching the level of pathetic

Great. His goal should be to break Khabib's title defense record and then add on a few more to cement himself as lightweight GOAT.

We already had to deal with the disappointment of Khabib retiring too early and now Islam is talking about leaving the division. What happened to being a dominant champ? Jones, GSP, Silva, Aldo, Mighty Mouse. These are careers that every fighter should aspire to.

I'd be far more interested in Islam moving up to another division if he had a career like those names.
Sadly this speaks to a shift in mentality in recent years. Fans complained about all those fighters not moving up forever. UFC opened the door and now it’s become the only thing fighters want to do. Every champion has discussed wanting to do it, many before they even defended once. It’s a shortcut to greatness while risking nothing. Get one win and you’re a double champion, which seems like the pinnacle. But winning one fight is far easier than winning 10 when everybody is gunning for you.

Say what you want about the second fight but as far as the first fight beating then-P4P #1 Volkanovski on a 20+ fight win streak is worth more than a win over almost any other lightweight he could've beaten during that time period.
Featherweights gave the Lightweight Champion a fit and KTFO a top contender and former interim champ in the last year or so. Seems these are not the gimme wins people make them out to be.

I want to see Islam vs Fiziev one day. I think he has plenty of challengers to beat.

Heck we havent seen him vs Chandler yet. Imagine Mike one punch knockout vs COnor and then he cuts one of his big promos on Islam. That will put butts in seats.

Fuck this entire era of champs.

Bunch of fucking spoiled brats that want free title shots without defending.

Also fuck Conor for starting this bullshit.
He literally said he wouldn't move up until 2 more defenses. That would mean he gets to challenge for 170 after having 4 successful title defenses. Which would break the record of title defenses at LW. More than deserved.

People begged for champs to jump weight and this is the result. Nobody wants to defend they just want to get a free title shot. That’s why we have no long reigning or established champions. Seems tide is turning and people are getting tired of it fortunately.
Islam is essentially saying he wants to move up after defending his title 4 times, which would be a record at LW. How is that unreasonable?

Islam is essentially saying he wants to move up after defending his title 4 times, which would be a record at LW. How is that unreasonable?
In this day and age it isn’t. But I’d like to go back to where guys defended their titles twice that many times. Just tired of jumping divisions in general, not just with Islam.

In this day and age it isn’t. But I’d like to go back to where guys defended their titles twice that many times. Just tired of jumping divisions in general, not just with Islam.
I'm against fighters jumping division if there are multiple interesting contenders for them in their current division. But if islam beats Dustin and Arman, i don't see too many stiff challenges for him at LW now that Gaethje and Oliveira are out of the picture. BSD and Fiziev took massive steps backward. The only fight that vaguely intrigues me is Islam v Lopes, but Lopes is too far away from the TS for it to be a realistic fight any time in the next 1.5 yrs.

I'm against fighters jumping division if there are multiple interesting contenders for them in their current division. But if islam beats Dustin and Arman, i don't see too many stiff challenges for him at LW now that Gaethje and Oliveira are out of the picture. BSD and Fiziev took massive steps backward. The only fight that vaguely intrigues me is Islam v Lopes, but Lopes is too far away from the TS for it to be a realistic fight any time in the next 1.5 yrs.
Lopes is FW

Using mma math, by beating olivera and arman, Islam has zero worthy challengers at lw. The people he didn't beat in the top 10 have lost to arman or Charles and so on and so forth. If he beats Dustin convincingly he should move up. Hes not interesting at lw if he cant lose which appears to be the case. Islam reminds me of gsp. I liked watching gsp until his fights became predictable.

- the ufc screwed up by letting guys go for champ-champ.
- volk should have vacated 145 and permanently moved to 155 and fought a contender before islam. then we could say 'yeah islam defended against a real 155er'.
- now islam feels like he's owed something. he put his belt up for zero gain twice. and people will say it wasn't a real LW defense.

Back