Media Islam Makhachev: I'm getting out of fights in my division, nothing exciting there. Hoping to get Leon fight with 2 wins.

Wow if we just completely move the goalposts to entirely different things and hypotheticals, it's completely okay!

Like I said. Islam loves his fans will excuse his bullshit.
These aren’t hypotheticals. He does have wins over #1 and #2. He is scheduled against #4. He was scheduled against #2 again who pulled out. These are facts. You said he hasn’t fought any #1-4 contenders. It’s factually untrue. But then again, you do have a reputation for dishonest discussion so I’m not surprised.

The UFC didn't want Gamrot in the main event, which is why Gamrot was scheduled for the main event.
He was never scheduled for the main event. He was the backup. In case someone had an illness on fight day, then they would've used Gamrot. He was to be used only in the most extreme emergency where the only alternative is canceling the main event.

The UFC didn't want Gamrot in the main event, which is why Gamrot was scheduled for the main event.

Like I've said before, people misinterpreted what his role actually was. He wasn't the backup if Makhachev/Oliveira 2 broke up 2 weeks before the event, he was the backup if the fight broke up 2 days before the event. UFC would've put him in there if they were backed into a corner and had no other choice at the last possible moment, but not if they had to promote the event for a longer period of time.

UFC wants to deliver big fights for Abu Dhabi. That's why they backed up the Brinks truck to pay Volkanovski to step in. Same with paying Usman to step in to face Chimaev. Sure, they could've tried passing off Makhachev/Gamrot & Chimaev vs someone like Vettori etc, but it would've been underwhelming both for the people in Abu Dhabi & also for PPV buys.

These aren’t hypotheticals. He does have wins over #1 and #2. He is scheduled against #4. He was scheduled against #2 again who pulled out. These are facts. You said he hasn’t fought any #1-4 contenders. It’s factually untrue. But then again, you do have a reputation for dishonest discussion so I’m not surprised.
This fact alone obliterates the silly crying from Islam "critics".

Bring a single piece of evidence that islam refused to fight Gamrot and that was the determining factor. It was a UFC decision.
Islam himself said he's the one who picked Volk over Gamrot:

Islam: You have to say thanks to me. I can choose any other opponent. We have Gamrot, we have Poirier, everybody is ready to fight for the belt. But I give you for the second time a chance. Just say ‘thank you’, that’s it.

Yeah also people keep bringing up Gamrot as the backup for UFC 294 like Islam was shook or something lol. Islam didn't give a f who they put in there with him. UFC didn't want to put Gamrot in there if they could help it because it would've tanked the PPV sales. He was the "break glass in case of emergency" backup if things went to shit in the final days before the event. Not the backup they wanted to build the event around when Oliveira pulled out with nearly 2 weeks to go, if they could help it.
Islam could move up to HW and beat Jon Jones on a days notice and they'd find something to complain about.

Islam himself said he's the one who picked Volk over Gamrot:

Islam: You have to say thanks to me. I can choose any other opponent. We have Gamrot, we have Poirier, everybody is ready to fight for the belt. But I give you for the second time a chance. Just say ‘thank you’, that’s it.

Why are you so hung up on this lol? The UFC didn't want Gamrot, Islam didn't want Gamrot, and the fans didn't want him in there either. If we're talking money and trying to make the biggest event possible, UFC and Islam made the right decision. I'm sure from your perspective Islam should've taken the hit to his bank account just to satisfy these internet arguments about his resume.

Can we stop with this fake measuring stick? The #1 LW contender just got KO'd by a FW that lost 3 times to the FW Islam beat. His defenses against Volk were 100% legit.
Wow.
You are very defensive and emotional.

Volk has no wins at LW in the UFC.
That is a simple fact.

Islam has no title defenses against lightweights. That is also a fact.

You being butthurt about facts doesn't change anything or serve as a rational argument or counterpoint.

Why are you so hung up on this lol? The UFC didn't want Gamrot, Islam didn't want Gamrot, and the fans didn't want him in there either. If we're talking money and trying to make the biggest event possible, UFC and Islam made the right decision. I'm sure from your perspective Islam should've taken the hit to his bank account just to satisfy these internet arguments about his resume.
In defence of the lack of depth to Islam's resume, you are instead referencing his bank account's depth.

Wow.
You are very defensive and emotional.

Volk has no wins at LW in the UFC.
That is a simple fact.

Islam has no title defenses against lightweights. That is also a fact.

You being butthurt about facts doesn't change anything or serve as a rational argument or counterpoint.
So you'd rate a defense over Poirier better than his fights against Volk?

In defence of the lack of depth to Islam's resume, you are instead referencing his bank account's depth.

Yeah he beat Volkanovski when he was on a 22 fight win streak and 10+ years undefeated, but because he has competed 10 pounds lower than Islam it's a totally worthless win, you're right, my apologies.

He was wins over #2 in a vacant title fight, and #1 from 5 years ago when neither were ranked.

AKA no he doesn't have title defences over the top contenders. AKA you did in fact move the goalposts to argue he's instead beaten them prior to being champ so it's okay.

He's not really wrong here. You got Poirier and Arman to defend against now. Justin didn't make it and Olivera lost whom he already beat. Only other name is Gamrot.

At least he acknowledges he's got two more fights before moving up instead of doing it right away like some champs. You got DDP claiming there is no one to fight lol

Yeah he beat Volkanovski when he was on a 22 fight win streak and 10+ years undefeated, but because he has competed 10 pounds lower than Islam it's a totally worthless win, you're right, my apologies.

Look at you go moving the goalposts backwards this time to talk about their first fight instead of their second fight which was what was at issue there when he personally chose to take 10 days notice, post surgery, beer belly Volk he'd already beaten instead of the official back Gamrot.

So you'd rate a defense over Poirier better than his fights against Volk?
Meh. Really he should be fighting Arman. The guy on a win streak who just won a #1 contender fight.

It (Poirier) would be a defense over an actual ranked LW. So that is good I suppose, but it continues the pattern of not fighting the best most qualified challenger which is weird.

Beating a 35 year old Poirier doesn't do a ton for Islam's resume.

This fact alone obliterates the silly crying from Islam "critics".
It does but this guy will laughing emoji and either stop responding or throw out played out insults. The same outcome every time I’ve challenged him.

Reactions: TR1
Back