Media Islam Makhachev: I'm getting out of fights in my division, nothing exciting there. Hoping to get Leon fight with 2 wins.

Khabib has wins over RDA, Poirier, Gaethje, Conor and Barboza. Now sure you can hold a 3rd tier replacement on literally a days notice against him considering Islam's second best win over a lightweight is Dan Hooker.

Islam's resume is for sure thinner as of now, but not by a lot. Oliveira is a better win than any of Khabibs. Beyond that, Volk I'd hold as a better win than Poirier, Gaethje or fellow FWs like coked up Conor and journeyman Barboza...mentioning Barboza is wild, to me, he's not a great win. Hooker is trash I agree there. I hold Khabibs win over RDA really high, might be his best win but honestly from the looks of it, beating a super green Arman on short notice is still better than almost all of Khabibs wins too. Neither of them will have deep resumes by the time they retire.

One thing I always gotta credit Khabib with is he fought really talented guys on his way up like Eldar Eldarov, Ali Bagov, Shahbulat etc. Guys who were actually able to take him down too. Islam kinda similar, he arguably lost to Egoyan (a fellow combat Sambo world champ) and struggled a lot vs Mansour Barnaoui, also his amateur win vs Zabit shouldn't go ignored.

Islam will crush Poirier and if he beats Arman after that he will have surpassed Khabibs defense record, he will have the longest win streak at 155lbs in UFC history. If he decides to go up and challenge Leon/Shavkat it's a true make or break moment, if he wins the 170lb belt he's a true GOAT status and surpasses Khabib, if he loses he probably falls just below.

Islam is light years ahead of everyone in his division, him fighting anyone there is a waste of time. Him moving up is the perfect move.

Dustin can get a title shot with a win streak of 1 over #13, meanwhile:

- Arman maybe gets the next one after Dustin if he's lucky after his current greater 4 fight win streak
- Which could be replaced/delayed if Dustin somehow actually wins cause Islam's of course going to rematch
- Gamrot needs a 5 fight win streak
- Charles and Justin need to start all over again and build up contenderships
- BSD needs a 4 fight win streak
- Max needs a 3 fight win streak

Bruh. Just say you agree with Islam that you're not going to properly defend unless you have absolutely zero choice and will instead take the easy way out wherever possible to keep this reign going.
Im just trying to be logical. Realistically speaking, Dustin shouldn't be getting a title shot either, but he's getting it because Justin didn't want to wait anymore, which is commendable.

Breaking down the contenders :

Arman - deserving immediate title shot
Charles - Lost 2 of his last 3, one to Islam and it wasnt a particularly close fight. If the fight with Arman was 5 rounds, he could've possibly won, as Arman has had gas tank issues in the past i.e. Gamrot
Justin - Should've had the title shot, I don't think anyone would begrudge if he got a title shot
Gamrot - Beat Dos Anjos , didn't look that convincing. Fiziev got injured in their fight, Turner, again a close fight. Won a questionable decision against Arman. One more fight would be great before a title shot
Daruish - Downward trajectory
Chandler - 2-3 in the UFC and got a title shot
Fiziev - injured
Holloway - 1 fight at LW , want to fight Topuria
Moicano - Not yet

Last edited:
Islam is light years ahead of everyone in his division, him fighting anyone there is a waste of time. Him moving up is the perfect move.
i will never understand this mentality. if he’s “light years ahead of everyone,” he should have no problem fighting these people. it should be easy work. yet he hasn’t even defended the belt against anyone in his division, let alone set a record for defenses.

These angle shoots these Dagestani fighters do are hilarious. If Islam wanted to fight Leon he should have taken on a top contender not wait to cherry pick poirier on a short turnaround after his tough fight. Tsarukyan has always been an interesting rematch, gamrot at least would be something different, and Charles in his last fight showed why there were rumors islam was being cautious about rematching. If Islam had already fought against a top contender after quickly dispatching volk, then Islam would be positioned for a legitimate double champ opportunity.

Islam talking like he can smoke everyone while waiting to cherry pick poirier and get an easy shot at double champ.

The worst possible outcome for the sport is Islam winning 2 belts he doesn't fight enough and is to needy and thinks he deserves all of these things..

And now he's fighting damn near end of the year.. we'll be lucky if he fights twice this year

Nothing wrong with a fighter seeking the biggest opportunity he can get. If he beats Poirier & Tsarukyan he should get a shot at whoever's holding the welterweight belt next year.

I agree.

But his statement also presupposes that:
  1. Islam stays busy and fights often
  2. Leon still holds the belt when by the time Islam vanquishes the Dustin and the other bloke
  3. He wins those two fights
  4. No flaming hot contender arises to challenge over the looooong period that will likely extend between Islam's next two 155 defenses.

i will never understand this mentality. if he’s “light years ahead of everyone,” he should have no problem fighting these people. it should be easy work. yet he hasn’t even defended the belt against anyone in his division, let alone set a record for defenses.
Who at 155 has a chance against him?

And not his fault he fought against the fighters he has, he fights who the UFC tells him too. The truth is he has ZERO competition at 155. Screw title defenses, move up for fights that are actually challenging.

Beat Oliveira (Champ at the time, I don't count the loss at the scale).

Scheduled against Dustin (#4 ATM)

Will fight Arman later in the year (#1 contender)

If he does that, thats a pretty good three wins at LW without even counting beating Volk.

Let's say he adds Gamrot after that.

That wouldn't be too bad.

Who do you have as a favorite over him?

Khabib haters: "Khabib is a fucking bum he was too scared to move up to WW!!!'

Also Khabib/Islam/Dagestani crew haters: "Fucking Islam is a coward running from his own division and moving up to WW!!!"

BAHAHA

He literally said he wouldn't move up until 2 more defenses. That would mean he gets to challenge for 170 after having 4 successful title defenses. Which would break the record of title defenses at LW. More than deserved.
Don't let the truth get in the way of a hater sob story, Shermano.

Khabib haters: "Khabib is a fucking bum he was too scared to move up to WW!!!'

Also Khabib/Islam/Dagestani crew haters: "Fucking Islam is a coward running from his own division and moving up to WW!!!"

BAHAHA
Khabib:

- repeatedly missing weight
- had already fled down from WW to LW when he joined the UFC
- was doing dumb shit like calling on a 40 year old GSP to come to 155
- is now 210lbs, once again proving he was always too big for LW

Islam:
- is saying he'll go to WW cause he's already beaten everybody which isn't remotely true
- wants to go cause of the timing of Leon being champ, carefully not saying he'll face whoever's the champ
- wants to force everybody he hasn't fought to stay busy against each other and eliminate themselves. Again.
- unrealistically is telling his contenders they need to win multiple more fights meanwhile he handpicked Poirier who's on a 1 fight win streak over #13

We're actually in the exact same position where neither are doing what they should be doing.

Khabib:

- repeatedly missing weight
- had already fled down from WW to LW when he joined the UFC
- was doing dumb shit like calling on a 40 year old GSP to come to 155
- is now 210lbs, once again proving he was always too big for LW

Islam:
- is saying he'll go to WW cause he's already beaten everybody which isn't remotely true
- wants to go cause of the timing of Leon being champ, carefully not saying he'll face whoever's the champ
- wants to force everybody he hasn't fought to stay busy against each other and eliminate themselves. Again.
- unrealistically is telling his contenders they need to win multiple more fights meanwhile he handpicked Poirier who's on a 1 fight win streak over #13

We're actually in the exact same position where neither are doing what they should be doing.
Look what the cat dragged in. I have to refrain from addressing an impassioned poster spewing such drivel as "fled down", weigh-bully propaganda driven by nothing more than pure vitriol towards a fighter clearly casting too heavy a shadow on his daily life.

Watch the fights, old sport. Let go. Breathe.

And bathe in the glory of great men testing their mettle against their fellows.

MMA is a great sport, you know?

Islam will fight, and he'll likely dominate another one of your favorite fighters, or whoever it is you've subsituted for Conor nowadays.

There will be blood, or bruising in the least.

Enjoy it.

don't care about Islam in the slightest but just checking in to say that he looks fucking terrible. does he have lupus or something

Back