Islam Makhachev reacts to UFC ranking Jon Jones as the No. 1 p4p. "This is bullsh****

I haven't completely made my mind up either way, but it would take more proof than the youtube scale videos they upload. I mean boxing has matches out there and if this happened it would be on world news.
Regarding khabib, there is no question he didn't make 155 for Gaethje.

I've used those exact scales hundreds of times. It was in an upward trajectory when they stopped it, which means he was more than the preset weight of 155.

I don't know what is difficult to understand, at least as it extends to Islam not being in the top spot.

Islam had a meaningful amount of struggle with the champion (albeit, a near GOAT tier guy) of a lower weight class.

That runs directly counter to the basic of idea of P4P dominance.

In fact, you could easily make the argument that Volk is a better fighter than Islam P4P based off the last fight.

If you want to do P4P rankings, you need to be willing to understand and vote on the idea a fighter can lose a fight in-cage, but also be close enough to the heavier guy to be rated higher P4P. If you don't want to admit that combination is possible, you should just not do P4P rankings.

So, by his logic JBJ, who was the LHW champ for 9 years with 13 title defenses and who moved up to HW and won the HW Belt can not be P4P because he got the title in an title eliminator against Gane BUT he himself, who as well won the belt from an title eliminator (Charles was not champ) and then defended the belt exactly 1x against a FW, deserves to be P4P?

Guys, in all honesty, you don't need to be a hater to understand that he is just talking out of his ass and it stinks + the fact that DC is mostly agreeing with him is another reason why I cannot take Cormier serious...
Jones was absent for three years and beat a guy who was 1-1 in his last two fights, it is ridiculous that he gets the top p4p spot because of his past accomplishments when he hasn't looked impressive in many years.

Still, Islam should not complain because Volk should still be at #1.
Islam isn't even a fighter to Jones.
He would never take the chances and fights Jones has.
None of those people would.
Jones never takes chances, what are you talking about? He took three years to move to HW when DC moved up by eating Popeye's. And remember the Chael incident when he got a whole card canceled to avoid fighting a bloated MW on a week's notice? He's extra cautious if anything.

P4P rankings are the most baloney of all the UFC's rankings, but anyway - Islam has one win against the top echelon of LW and then a win against Volk and then just against guys who are great but not at the very top (eg Hooker, Green, Arman), plus Hooker and Green were on very short notice.

If it's based on the last couple years only and only based on wins/losses (not performance), neither Islam nor Jones are #1. If it's based on further back, then Jones being #1 can make sense, but Islam at #1 couldn't.

To be fair to Islam he would have the quality as well as the quantity but the entire top 5 ducked him.

I don't know what is difficult to understand, at least as it extends to Islam not being in the top spot.

Islam had a meaningful amount of struggle with the champion (albeit, a near GOAT tier guy) of a lower weight class.

That runs directly counter to the basic of idea of P4P dominance.

In fact, you could easily make the argument that Volk is a better fighter than Islam P4P based off the last fight.

If you want to do P4P rankings, you need to be willing to understand and vote on the idea a fighter can lose a fight in-cage, but also be close enough to the heavier guy to be rated higher P4P. If you don't want to admit that combination is possible, you should just not do P4P rankings.

That's not the issue....

The real crux of the matter was that him vs. Volk was billed as the fight for the no1 p4p spot (not that I agree it was anyway but that's beside the point).

It wasn't the "no1 p4p spot but only if you win in spectacular circumstances" fight.

That's not the issue....

The real crux of the matter was that him vs. Volk was billed as the fight for the no1 p4p spot (not that I agree it was anyway but that's beside the point).

It wasn't the "no1 p4p spot but only if you win in spectacular circumstances" fight.

It was in effect a fight for both the belt and number 1 P4P spot.

Islam won the former. Volk won the latter by being close enough to Islam in the fight to suggest that if they were the same size, Volk would have won the fight in-cage.

That's why I said if people want to rank or discuss P4P, they need to be comfortable with the idea of someone losing a fight in-cage but being ranked higher P4P than the guy they lost to. That combination is absolutely logically possible if you take a normal interpretation of what P4P means.

If the implication by the UFC is that a win always overrides the weight differential and degree of dominance exhibited in the fight....that's not logically consistent with the concept of P4P in the first place.

It was in effect a fight for both the belt and number 1 P4P spot.

Islam won the former. Volk won the latter by being close enough to Islam in the fight to suggest that if they were the same size, Volk would have won the fight in-cage.

That's why I said if people want to rank or discuss P4P, they need to be comfortable with the idea of someone losing a fight in-cage but being ranked higher P4P than the guy they lost to. That combination is absolutely logically possible if you take a normal interpretation of what P4P means.

If the implication by the UFC is that a win always overrides the weight differential and degree of dominance exhibited in the fight....that's not logically consistent with the concept of P4P in the first place.

Well not really....he got beaten in all aspects of the fight and it wasn't because of size because Volk is a former 200lb+ Rugby player. It was down to superior technique in striking and grappling.

Does he not know who jbj is?? Guy has ben a ufc champ and undefeated before islam even started fighting..

Islam gets the belt defends it twice and thinks hes a p4p goat..

Jbj rematches dc and best him twice.
Islam you're to scared to rematch volk
Jon went and got the hw belt..

Islam you're scared to move up in weight and fight guys you're size..

Islam you fight 1 or 2 times a year and itle all be vs the same people.. get some title defences before you're old and try to become p4p 1

Imagine getting butthurt about some stupid fantasy rankings that can never be proved called "Pound for Pound"
One of the dumbest concepts in conbat sports
It is proved who has the current most title defences .. is the p4p 1 it's not rocket science..

Islam can move up and fight the ww or mw champ or actually work towards getting title defences if he wants it

Well not really....he got beaten in all aspects of the fight and it wasn't because of size because Volk is a former 200lb+ Rugby player.

IMO, it's usually better to evaluate weight by understanding the lowest weight a fighter can reasonably compete at during the time of the fight rather than anything from their past. Especially considering people get into different shapes in vs. out of the cage, or slimmed down/bulked some over time, or cut different amounts of weight to get to the fight weight, etc...

Volk can make and compete well at 145. Islam definitely could not.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/uP9852ljxaw

Daniel Cormier: You fight Volkanovski, you guys are supposed to be fighting for the number one pound for pound, you win, he stays number one, and then Jon Jones comes back, and now Jon Jones is number one. What is this?
Islam Makhachev: This is bull****. How Jon Jones can be number one. He beat some guy who is not champion. This guy don't have belt and they put him number one pound for pound. This is bull****
Daniel Cormier Maybe because he beat him so fast.
Islam Makhachev: Doesn't matter how he beat him. Yes UFC put him best pound for pound, but other people, other MMA, who know about MMA, they know who is the best fighter in the world. Don't call me lightweight champion. Call me pound for pound best fighter.

Thoughts?

gv4g.jpg
Official Sherdog front page has Jones numero uno as well, with Islam #2.

Maybe it's because you should have lost to Volk, and Jones won without breaking a sweat. How come your in the US making big money, while your fellow countrymen are dying in Ukraine? Idiot.:mad:

IMO, it's usually better to evaluate weight by understanding the lowest weight a fighter can reasonably compete at during the time of the fight rather than anything from their past. Especially considering people get into different shapes in vs. out of the cage, or slimmed down/bulked some over time, or cut different amounts of weight to get to the fight weight, etc...

Volk can make and compete well at 145. Islam definitely could not.

You have no objective way of proving this statement so it's nonsense.

Either way, Volk is a wide midget, not an undersized one.

So this "if they were the same size" argument doesn't work because Volk is just as big as Islam.

Jones was absent for three years and beat a guy who was 1-1 in his last two fights, it is ridiculous that he gets the top p4p spot because of his past accomplishments when he hasn't looked impressive in many years.

Please, you are not talking to a casual who you can impress or shut down with your selective information of Gane being 1-1 in his last 2 fights BS when in fact Gane was 8-1 in the UFC when they fought. Sound much better than 1-1, innit?

Jones was the P4P Champ in March 2020 when he left the scene and he rightfully deserved to become the P4P king after he beat Gane and became the HW Champ and therefore has hold titles in 2 categories.

You should much more request why Islame got a "shot" at P4P with 2 top5 wins and no title defense, but of course you wont...

Maybe it's because you should have lost to Volk, and Jones won without breaking a sweat. How come your in the US making big money, while your fellow countrymen are dying in Ukraine? Idiot.:mad:

Ukranian Neo Nazi's aren't his country men :-/

Back