Islam runs 5k in 18:30mins

Pretty fast for a guy that’s not training for 5Ks but for MMA. Anyone who says otherwise doesn’t understand that most elite distance runners Islams height are about 150lbs, not 185. All these highschool kids you guys are referencing are running more miles per week than Islam and are much lighter. I ran for 4 years in HS, i’ve got a pretty good idea of what the body type is for a 5K and those kids are all skinny as fuck.

Last edited:
For all the Sherbros arguing on another thread how slow Islam’s 5k running time is (18min!!!) … here are some athletic standards which - if you meet them all - classify you as very fit in most sports sciences contexts.

Please go try and report back superSherbros.

5k run under 23min (road)

100m sprint under 13sec (no spikes and blocks)

Sit and reach flexibility test fingers at least 10cm past toes

Benchpress, squat and deadlift at least equal to bodyweight or more (2 unassisted reps minimum)

15 full range pullups or more without stopping

50 full range pushups or more without stopping

100 full range bodyweight squats or more without stopping

I would say that most UFC fighters would meet the majority of these criteria.

All Sherbros of course do at least twice the minimum standards…

None of them could do a 100M freestyle under 1m,10sec. Many probably couldn't finish without stopping to rest.

swimmer-crouching-on-starting-block-ready-to-jump-picture-id533725280

Suddenly everyone is a runner or knows one…..

I work in the field of sports performance among other wellness related things: a sub-20min 5k run is very fast for an athlete who dedicates most of his training time not to running.

I repeat, very fast.

Yes, there are high school seniors specialized in running disciplines who would beat him easily. There are also older people with competitive running as their main hobby who could beat him. Obviously any professional distance runner would beat him.

But anyone else, meaning 99% of the population, would be around the same time (pro athletes) or much slower.

To put it into context, in real life if you run 5k under 25min you’ll be faster than just about everyone at your local gym or amateur martial arts club.
It’s really pretty shocking the level of ignorance in this thread. Islam is 185 lbs and focused on training for MMA, not some skinny highschooler who only focuses on running. 18:30 is absolutely a great time for someone his weight who’s not training exclusively for distance.

In his pre fight press conference he said so. Anyone who races knows that is really fucking fast

I've ran/jogged 6 kms uneven ground in under 25 mins..

That's without killing it for speed...I'm not sure if it's that impressive

It’s very good for the lowest level of athletes in sports. The lower pro soccer players usually run it around 16min without breaking a sweat. The better pro ones run in way lower times.

So for non athletic guys, like the ones in mma, to run it at that time its pretty damn good.
Well soccer is a running sport, so duh. Different types of athleticism in this world. If Islam could run a 15minute 5K he wouldn’t have the upperbody strength to be successful in MMA.

That's not even close to the same thing actually. No clue where you pulled that shit out from lol
It would be like gawking at a Islam doing a 250lb squat when the female youth record is 300lb
Right, so with your logic a 2400 chess rating isn't impressive because there are multiple teenage females with that rating.

I ran 18:53 my sophomore year of HS, it’s not THAT fast. Top highschool kids run at least sub 16 minutes.

It’s a decent pace for a non runner though.

There is a kid at our high school who ran 15:57 in 9th grade. I don’t know much about times and what not but I just remember seeing him at a couple meets beating everyone by laps

Right, so with your logic a 2400 chess rating isn't impressive because there are multiple teenage females with that rating.
No, not even close to the same thing. Pathetic attempt to adjust what I've said.
Once again: Islam is a great athlete who has some running ability that he has proven in training and indirectly through his elevated cardio abilities in MMA, but his 5k time is not close to being considered "really fucking fast" as the OP suggests; pointing out examples from across the athletic spectrum of people with considerably better times. Nobody is saying it's a shit time

Last edited:
There is a kid at our high school who ran 15:57 in 9th grade. I don’t know much about times and what not but I just remember seeing him at a couple meets beating everyone by laps

Damn, that’s moving for 9th grade.

Anyone running sub-16 is competing for a HS state title, and is a Division 1 collegiate distance prospect.

My high school had soccer players who ended up in the MLS.
Each could beat our top cross country track team when they challenged them in a 5k. Our HS team was pacing around 18 min.
Tons of soccer players with times in the 16s if you google. I posted a japanese pro boxer who did in the 14s.
18:30 is still a solid time, but nothing "super fast".

(random aside: had a fringe 1-yr NBA player at the school too, who also managed to be undefeated as a tennis player without taking it seriously; elite athletes are great at lots of things, and I'd assume Islam has great metrics in a lot of athletic realms.)

Your soccer players beat your cross country team at 5k and a basketball player was undefeated in tennis without taking it seriously.

<36>

This thread is absolute gold.

Your soccer players beat your cross country team at 5k and a basketball player was undefeated in tennis without taking it seriously.

<36>

This thread is absolute gold.

Not uncommon really, we convinced a few soccer players to run CC and they all went sub 19 in their first race and were immediately top 7 on the team. Unless your school is a running powerhouse, each team usually only has a few legit runners.

And teach any tall guy to serve in tennis, and he will win a lot of matches with that alone at this HS level. It’s so hard to deal with a tall guy hitting a kick serve.

HS sports in general are very top heavy in talent. I saw a kid play the District tournament with a broken dominant arm, and he managed to get through 2 rounds playing only with his left arm (he was a top player with his dominant arm). It was hilarious.

Last edited:
Not uncommon really, we convinced a few soccer players to run CC and they all went sub 19 in their first race and were immediately top 7 on the team. Unless your school is a running powerhouse, each team usually only has a few legit runners.

And teach any tall guy to serve in tennis, and he will win a lot of matches with that alone at this HS level. It’s so hard to deal with a tall guy hitting a kick serve.

HS sports in general are very top heavy in talent. I saw a kid play the District tournament with a broken dominant arm, and he managed to get through 2 rounds playing only with his left arm. It was hilarious.

Not uncommon? That's extremely uncommon, especially at any half-decent athletic program. Decent cross-country teams aren't getting handled by the soccer team. And no tennis team is losing to a tall guy who only has a serve and never plays. That might happen at some random high school in the middle of nowhere with a shit-tier tennis program but not in general.

Not uncommon? That's extremely uncommon, especially at any half-decent athletic program. Decent cross-country teams aren't getting handled by the soccer team. And no tennis team is losing to a tall guy who only has a serve and never plays. That might happen at some random high school in the middle of nowhere with a shit-tier tennis program but not in general.

Maybe 10% of highschools have elite level programs and compete for state titles on a regular basis.

Most high schools have average joe kids who just play sports for fun, coaches that have no idea what they are doing, and are lucky to have 1 kid that makes it to the regional level.

Maybe 10% of highschools have elite level programs and compete for state titles on a regular basis.

Most high schools have average joe kids who just play sports for fun, coaches that have no idea what they are doing, and are lucky to have 1 kid that makes it to the regional level.

The programs don't have to be elite. Those things won't happen at half-decent schools.

I agree there are many schools with terrible athletic programs but they're largely irrelevant for this discussion anyways. There's no reason to bring up an example of kids who are on a team but barely know how to play the sport.

Back