It's a damn shame that we never got to see Patricio Pitbull in the UFC

I think Patricio likes slow paced technical striking fights where he can fend off takedowns where required and get ahead. I think we saw in the Sergio fight (granted he was past prime, but it was still very convincing) that someone who's also a technical striker but faster than him and higher volume is liable to cause him a problem.
Hmm, I think the Sergio fight wasn't a great example of Patricio's skills as he was down a weight class where he has never competed before and is clearly out of prime by now. Plus, I think people under rate Sergio, he's evolved into a damn good striker and he's super fast, not many UFC fighters at 145 can output the type of speed/precision he does. But mainly I think the weight class and Pitbull being out of prime were factors one should take into account before applying that performance to hypothetical matchups.

I tend to think his boxing matches up well with Volk, and he has the power and the counter ability to seriously dissuade Holloway from executing his normal style gameplan against him, and the cardio to hang with Max for a while at least.

I do think Max matches up better with him than Volk does though. And me saying he matches up well with both doesn't mean I'm saying he necessarily beats either/both, but I think he has competitive fights vs both.

I do think Aldo is a bad matchup for him though, Aldo excells at those sort of medium/low pace technical kickboxing type fights. And Aldo has the explosiveness, especially a prime Aldo to really go tat for tat with Pitbull in a way I don't think he's ever had to deal with. And I don't think Pitbulls stance is particularly good against Aldo either, wide stance against Aldo's leg kicks is a recipe for disaster.

Thanks for the reply, it's interesting discussing this stuff.

Chandler has been competitive in all his fights. Record doesn't tell the whole story and Pitbull beat him more easily than any of Gaethje/Poirer/Oliveira did.

Who would you put as a greater fighter record wise than Pitbull? Legit interested to hear some other names. I wasn't around in the Pride era so I could be wrong.
Igor would be the main one from the early days. Had a 37 fight win streak (with one no contest he should have won anyway) and probably the best heavyweight in the world during that period despite probably being a light heavyweight.

Hmm, I think the Sergio fight wasn't a great example of Patricio's skills as he was down a weight class where he has never competed before and is clearly out of prime by now. Plus, I think people under rate Sergio, he's evolved into a damn good striker and he's super fast, not many UFC fighters at 145 can output the type of speed/precision he does. But mainly I think the weight class and Pitbull being out of prime were factors one should take into account before applying that performance to hypothetical matchups.

I tend to think his boxing matches up well with Volk, and he has the power and the counter ability to seriously dissuade Holloway from executing his normal style gameplan against him, and the cardio to hang with Max for a while at least.

I do think Max matches up better with him than Volk does though. And me saying he matches up well with both doesn't mean I'm saying he necessarily beats either/both, but I think he has competitive fights vs both.

I do think Aldo is a bad matchup for him though, Aldo excells at those sort of medium/low pace technical kickboxing type fights. And Aldo has the explosiveness, especially a prime Aldo to really go tat for tat with Pitbull in a way I don't think he's ever had to deal with. And I don't think Pitbulls stance is particularly good against Aldo either, wide stance against Aldo's leg kicks is a recipe for disaster.

I think the main issue for him with Max and Volk is they can both push a high pace with high volume which matching him technically and they can do it for 5 rounds without slowing down. I just don't think that's a good style for Patricio. He might be able to land a couple of good counters but they've both got good chins too.

I think the main issue for him with Max and Volk is they can both push a high pace with high volume which matching him technically and they can do it for 5 rounds without slowing down. I just don't think that's a good style for Patricio. He might be able to land a couple of good counters but they've both got good chins too.

Igor would be the main one from the early days. Had a 37 fight win streak (with one no contest he should have won anyway) and probably the best heavyweight in the world during that period despite probably being a light heavyweight.
Huh, that's interesting. Shame how you don't hear much about him these days then.

Patricio in my opinion is probably the second best fighter (outside of Fedor) that we never got to see in the UFC.

His run in Bellator was/is insane, and it's a damn shame we never got to see him fight the likes of Aldo, Holloway, Volk, Mendes, Conor, and test himself at 155 against whoever was the champ at the time.

Pitbull is slowing down dramatically, after a long career and a lot of fights and at 36, but he's still skating by on sheer talent and skill.

It's too late for him to come over to the UFC imo, he's too old and at probably gets paid more in Bellator than he ever would in the UFC.

What fights would you have liked to see and how do you think he would have done in his prime vs the top of the UFC 145?

View attachment 1036597
Did he retire or something?

Hmm, I see what your saying and without actually seeing them fight it's hard to say, but I think Pitbulls style of striking matches pretty well with both of them. I'm not sure how much of a pace they would be able to push without eating counters that I'm not sure Volk could take. Holloways chin is insane though, so it's entirely possible he is able to walk through the fire to push the pace.

Chandler has been competitive in all his fights. Record doesn't tell the whole story and Pitbull beat him more easily than any of Gaethje/Poirer/Oliveira did.

Who would you put as a greater fighter record wise than Pitbull? Legit interested to hear some other names. I wasn't around in the Pride era so I could be wrong.

greater fighter record wise? i don't know. i guess i was just thinking about fighters who i think would do as good as Pitbull in UFC.

like i think Arona, Kharitonov, King Mo would've done just as good as Pitbull in UFC had they come to UFC in the correct time.

Patricio in my opinion is probably the second best fighter (outside of Fedor) that we never got to see in the UFC.

His run in Bellator was/is insane, and it's a damn shame we never got to see him fight the likes of Aldo, Holloway, Volk, Mendes, Conor, and test himself at 155 against whoever was the champ at the time.

Pitbull is slowing down dramatically, after a long career and a lot of fights and at 36, but he's still skating by on sheer talent and skill.

It's too late for him to come over to the UFC imo, he's too old and at probably gets paid more in Bellator than he ever would in the UFC.

What fights would you have liked to see and how do you think he would have done in his prime vs the top of the UFC 145?

View attachment 1036597
I don't consider it a shame at all. He was able to stay extremely active with Bellator, and possibly made more money with them than he would have ever made with the UFC.

The only "shame" is that pretend MMA fans would consider there to be something wrong with his legacy because he never competed in the UFC.

He's an objectively amazing fighter, but I don't think you can make a case that he has a legacy that would exceed Aldo/Holloway/Volk.

I don't consider it a shame at all. He was able to stay extremely active with Bellator, and possibly made more money with them than he would have ever made with the UFC.

The only "shame" is that pretend MMA fans would consider there to be something wrong with his legacy because he never competed in the UFC.

He's an objectively amazing fighter, but I don't think you can make a case that he has a legacy that would exceed Aldo/Holloway/Volk.
Eh, I'm not saying it would have been better for him if he was in the UFC, but it would have given us some really fun matchups that we didn't get in Bellator. And agreed about the pretend MMA fans, he didn't need to go to the UFC to make an incredible resume.

greater fighter record wise? i don't know. i guess i was just thinking about fighters who i think would do as good as Pitbull in UFC.

like i think Arona, Kharitonov, King Mo would've done just as good as Pitbull in UFC had they come to UFC in the correct time.
I think we saw King Mo's ceiling. His biggest win was getting smacked around by Mousasi, which isn't much of a knock against him. I think Mo sits comfortably in that fifteen to ten range while getting pieced up and caught any time he moves higher.

Arona was really good, definitely much higher than what the average person thinks - but stylistically I don't think the UFC was a good fit for him.

Arona used his grappling to out wrestle and basically lay and pray guys. That would be very hard to do against Courture and Chuck, and he might not be able to beat Tito either (I think he'd out wrestle Tito, but it wouldn't be easy).

I'd see Arona having similar problems as Chandler coming into the UFC. Stylistically though Arona was a nightmare for everyone in Japan though.

Arona and Pitbull are in another class than Sergei and probably King Mo though.

He had 1-2 good moments in each of those losses, but otherwise got his ass handed to him. That's not "doing well".

I didn't say Pitbull isn't likely an elite fighter. I'd agree that he is.
Dude, he about finished Charles. WTH are you talking about?

Imo it doesn't at all. The UFC does not give a fuck about it's fighters. Only the money they make. It's in most - not all - best interest to be a huge star outside of the UFC because it's far far far far far far more lucrative. And this isn't not debatable.

Dude, he about finished Charles. WTH are you talking about?
So did everyone else. That's a testament to the reckless and aggressive style that Charles presents more than anything.

Back