• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News *** Jake Paul vs. Anderson Silva Boxing Bout Set for October MEGA THREAD ***

Winner?

• Total voters
Brother I RARELY agree with you unless you're talking about boxing. I agree on this and I've actually put some respek on Jake's name and his work ethic. He's a dedicated young man and he's going about this the right way to make the most money as he learns this art and sport. Smart of him.
We can agree to disagree for the most part, but glad we see eye to eye on this. Since most have a hard time grasping this about Jake Paul and the state of mma vs boxing, especially UFC fighters vs Jake Paul.

He looked like he was sandbagging his own punches, purposely not landing with conviction.

He didn't plan on getting dropped at the last round but he did. Tryna cash out before he turns 50.

Is normal.

Not sure if this breakdown is accurate, why would the two main event fighters get a 65-35 split of the entire PPV buys? Shouldn't the promoters get a big piece of that?

But if it's true that Anderson will have made 10M USD from this fight, then there really is a case that he was paid to sandbag his own performance. Is normal.

I think the best course of action regarding Paul is ignoring him. I think it's pretty much clear now that he pays former fighters to lose and we shouldn't be aiding him in promoting this shady business.

Damn. Some folks are still in denial I guess. As if Anderson, who has a mighty legacy, would take the fall for some obnoxious kid. There was nothing suspicious about how it played out. Anderson got outboxed and dropped but the fight was just about even until the knockdown (official scorecards aside). Let's not forget that he's 47 and more than 20 years Jake's senior.

Not sure if this breakdown is accurate, why would the two main event fighters get a 65-35 split of the entire PPV buys? Shouldn't the promoters get a big piece of that?

But if it's true that Anderson will have made 10M USD from this fight, then there really is a case that he was paid to sandbag his own performance. Is normal.

bit difficult to actually make your leg buckle when you are taking a dive

MMA is a grappling sport first. Striking (not boxing) sport 2nd. Boxing skills in mma is so far down the list hence you would never see a boxer get matrixed the same way forrest/franklin/tito etc did against Silva.

If boxing skills were such a big deal in mma you would see many mma fighters become boxing champions. Just look how many muay thai champions have became kickboxing or boxing champions. Since its actually a striking sport.

What the casuals don't realise is striking doesn't matter at all in mma unless you already have the grappling ability to prevent your opponent from out grappling you. Hence the striking takes a back-seat in mma and boxers like James Toney can't do shit in mma and likewise mma fighters can't do shit in boxing. And yet elite mma CAN beat elite bjj guys (Josh barnett has a bjj win over Gordon Ryan. The current p4p star of bjj) because mma is a grappling sport first and foremost.
A big reason why grappling is more prominent in MMA is because the most talented strikers have little incentive to get into MMA. Why would a talented boxer take a pay cut to go into MMA? Kickboxers have some incentive but kickboxing isn't a sport with a lot of talent really. Grapplers have a lot of incentive also and that's why you see a lot of high level wrestlers and BJJ guys crossing over into MMA. Simply put, the level or quality of grapplers you see in MMA are higher than the level of strikers you are seeing

Watching washed up mma fighters being beaten by a youtuber is sad. Can Jake Paul beat a top level boxer? Maybe

Calling a WBC champion a non legit boxer is beyond laughable and retarded. Was he a shell of himself? Sure.
Is he a legit boxer? Of course.
Anderson was a huge underdog.
hollyfield was also a legit boxer, and he still got almost killed by vitor fucking belfort of all people.

now, a 60 year old evander is clearly far more diminished than JCC jr, but the point stands. no matter how legit you are, when you stop training and / or grow old, you're going to lose to people far below your top level.

anderson beating chavez says more about chavez being shitty than it does about anderson being great at boxing.

Reactions: CPH
The Disney kid just beat one of the MMA goats. Cope.

Did you actually watch the fight?

Tell me you don't know about fighting without telling me you don't know about fighting lmao. I don't need to cope when it wasn't a real fucking fight, Anderson pulled all his punches, are you blind?

Jake claiming the PPV buys are not what they were expecting...

https://www.mmafighting.com/2022/11...ing-estimate-anderson-silva-pay-per-view-buys

While they talk about the news of Silva getting 'knocked out' as killing the pre-buys, and there being competition from other sports that weekend vs. the vacuum of content during covid, I'm sure it also did not help that the lead-up was drama-free and respectful and that they couldn't use any footage from Silva's UFC run (because of course the UFC won't let them).

Despite it being an entertaining, competitive fight where both guys looked relatively good, the promotion and lead-up was lacklustre.

I'm steering clear of the tinfoil hat conspiracy discussion...you guys have fun with that lol

Jake claiming the PPV buys are not what they were expecting...

https://www.mmafighting.com/2022/11...ing-estimate-anderson-silva-pay-per-view-buys

While they talk about the news of Silva getting 'knocked out' as killing the pre-buys, and there being competition from other sports that weekend vs. the vacuum of content during covid, I'm sure it also did not help that the lead-up was drama-free and respectful and that they couldn't use any footage from Silva's UFC run (because of course the UFC won't let them).

Despite it being an entertaining, competitive fight where both guys looked relatively good, the promotion and lead-up was lacklustre.

I'm steering clear of the tinfoil hat conspiracy discussion...you guys have fun with that lol
2-3 million is disappointing?

What kind of early estimate has a disparity of 1 million?

Re-read...200k-300k ;)
Oh then it is pretty bad. I thought maybe 800k

My guess is though that this is basically 300k of his non boxing fan youtube fan base and not boxing fans. That's a positive take if his roping in 300k non-boxing fans. Obviously it's not what a promoter would want. Now that Paul is becoming a more standard fighter his original freak show allure seems to be wearing off.

Oh then it is pretty bad. I thought maybe 800k

My guess is though that this is basically 300k of his non boxing fan youtube fan base and not boxing fans. That's a positive take if his roping in 300k non-boxing fans. Obviously it's not what a promoter would want. Now that Paul is becoming a more standard fighter his original freak show allure seems to be wearing off.

Yes, aside from the other factors mentioned, perhaps the allure might be waning.

I think the disappointment not only stems from the fact that they sold more for those previous fights, but getting paid less to take a harder fight is obviously not appealing from a risk/reward perspective.

I'm sure the boxing audience is going to require a 'legit' boxer as an opponent before they tune in...but if Jake doesn't care about that audience and just wants numbers from anywhere, he can go in another direction, with Nate Diaz being the obvious choice. Nate has broader appeal than Silva and he's already done more to promote the fight than Silva did, by slapping someone backstage lol

They will have to time it right though..doing it on a weekend with multiple MMA and boxing cards, various college and pro sports going at the same time, etc. seems like a tough sell...but maybe not if Nate is on the bill?

hollyfield was also a legit boxer, and he still got almost killed by vitor fucking belfort of all people.

now, a 60 year old evander is clearly far more diminished than JCC jr, but the point stands. no matter how legit you are, when you stop training and / or grow old, you're going to lose to people far below your top level.

anderson beating chavez says more about chavez being shitty than it does about anderson being great at boxing.

Chavez was 34yo, 11 years younger than anderson at the time.

It's an impressive win, your holyfield comparison doesn't apply. Any former champ is still pretty damn good at 34.

JCC Jr was never a legitimate contender or even top 5 middleweight. He clobbered 45 bums and won extreme robberies every time he fought anyone decent.

HBO politics got him a title shot when Sergio Martinez was forced to drop a belt.

Jr literally was one of or the worst champion in middleweight history. He was a 180 LBS guy fighting 160 LBSers and never even taking a round off of decent opposition.

This is of course way before he quit training/got on drugs.

Just to clear up any non boxing fans in here that maybe we're not around for the facade that was jcc Jr.

Back