Movies James Cameron 4K Movies (Aliens-Abyss-True Lies)

Which film should I buy with gift card

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’d go with the Abyss and Aliens. Not interested in owning True Lies.

Going to be honest I’m not a big movie guy.

But after reading this thread I would say James Cameron needs a serious ass kicking.

Yep that’s the consensus for the three that come out tomorrow. I did pick up The Abyss and True Lies as theyre not even available on Blu Ray. I’m not upgrading Aliens:

Thank you for posting this.

I've owned Aliens on VHS, DVD, and on BluRay and was curious exactly what advancements were made to the 4K release beyond a simple resolution increase.

With the issues addressed in that video, it makes me wish I could see the BluRay & 4K played side-by-side on 65" 4K TVs.

Maybe if there's a 'Special Edition' 4K release with all of the special features included with the 2-disc DVD release I would pick that up because the BluRay I have is pretty bare-bones.

Let’s just hope they fare better than Terminator 2: Judgement Day which is considered one of the worst 4K discs of all-time.
I hear the 4Ks of these three movies aren't much better. Lots of DNR to the point of looking waxy.

Using an upscale of a 2k source isnt just revisionism its laziness, granted with modern Hollywood stuff to create a genuine 4K source would entail masses of work(and maybe impossible if it was shot digital at 2K) but Aliens has a 35mm master reel which can be rescanned.

Go with the Abyss as it’s never had a blu ray release before.

And not to derail the thread, but I really wanted to get the 4K of Conan the Barbarian that recently came out but can’t find it - it’s like it was a limited run and is now sold out ffs.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this.

I've owned Aliens on VHS, DVD, and on BluRay and was curious exactly what advancements were made to the 4K release beyond a simple resolution increase.

With the issues addressed in that video, it makes me wish I could see the BluRay & 4K played side-by-side on 65" 4K TVs.

Maybe if there's a 'Special Edition' 4K release with all of the special features included with the 2-disc DVD release I would pick that up because the BluRay I have is pretty bare-bones.

I have this. You can probably get it for $15 on eBay. It comes with both versions of Aliens and all the special features you can want. Premium packaging as well:

1710245399667.jpeg

Go with the Abyss as it’s never had a 4K release before.

And not to derail the thread, but I really wanted to get the 4K of Conan the Barbarian that recently came out but can’t find it - it’s like it was a limited run and is now sold out ffs.

Forget a 4K, The Abyss and True Lies never even had a Blu Ray release.

The Conan movies were an Arrow release so they’ll come out with a second run but buyer beware it most likely will be a stripped down version without the premium packaging. I learned my lesson with their release of Waterworld.

Forget a 4K, The Abyss and True Lies never even had a Blu Ray release.

The Conan movies were an Arrow release so they’ll come out with a second run but buyer beware it most likely will be a stripped down version without the premium packaging. I learned my lesson with their release of Waterworld.

I meant to say blu ray, not 4k, for the Abyss.

I’m not concerned about the packaging, I just want Conan in 4K, period. I’ll take it in a paper bag if I have to.

Go with the Abyss as it’s never had a blu ray release before.

Its on Arrow(in the US), they do limited edition boxes but then follow with a standard release which isnt limited.

I have this. You can probably get it for $15 on eBay. It comes with both versions of Aliens and all the special features you can want. Premium packaging as well:

View attachment 1034301

I'm pretty sure I have the same edition of Aliens, sold individually, instead of all 4 Alien movies.

And although it says it has both versions, Theatrical & Director's Cut, there's no reason to watch the Theatrical because Director's Cut is very clearly superior.

I may pick up the Alien 4K BluRay eventually because I've heard nothing but praise for it, but I have no interest in owning Alien3 or Resurrection.

I consider Prometheus & Covenant to be far surperior movies to those 90s clusterfucks.

Cameron funks with his movies too much, not much different than Lucas, all the new 4K's are dnr'd and have a.i. algorithms added to upscale after the noise reduction scrubs grain. I really wish they'd let people have the option to buy the movies without the new alterations, give us a choice. I think a lot of people were rightly worries after how bad the T2 UHD came out. I mean you think dnr would have been a thing left behind in the early days of blu-ray but nope.

Back