Jeff Chan?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
MMA fighter who has fought for One has a pretty in depth youtube training channel. I do enjoy his content but I sometimes I feel like his combos while pretty and technical, are against mainly nobodies and the flashy technique with hands low looks cool, I dont see many guys at 145 able to effectively use that style at the high level.

He does make the distinction of best combos for SPARRING, but shouldn't your sparring somewhat reflect the pace and moves of the fight?

I dont want to make it sound like a harsh critique, but how effective would his technique actually be.

I feel like he is the typical kickboxer who is super technical, but is sort of a mediocre athlete.

I also enjoy his videos. And I agree with your last sentence.

I actually think the dude is pretty athletic. His style is weird and it works for him. You basically see the same things he does in sparring in his One FC fight. IIIRC the guy he fought wasn’t that good though.

I think he’s mainly a low kicker with a solid double leg. Kind of wings his punches like dominick cruz, moves his head and feet like him too. I honestly feel like his boxing sucks and like cruz he relies on his speed and athleticism to blitz into strikes or takedowns. Like Dominick I don’t think his style will age very well.

I do like that he knows his strengths and uses it well

Last edited:
Agree with @biscuitsbrah. He is athletic. His style even depends on it but just looks weird. The weirdness imo lcomes from that he doesnt execute punches in a powerline whole body movement. That makes them weak but fast and still usable for distraction, getting points and setting up takedowns. His kicking game seems very advanced and technical.

Its a very sneaky clever style. One weakness I would say is that if you realize as an opponent that he cant generate power with his punches you start to ignore them and they loose their distracting and keeping the opponent out of reach abilty and you can counter right through them. Thats what Cody did to Cruz.

he is very good but he doesn't want the smoke

He uses his head movement & footwork in order to capitalize on the opponent's attacks with the fact that he will create a perfect angle to shoot his combination or counter. While he designs his attacks on 2 to 3 strikes in a combination and exit, so to speak potshotting, he does not stay in that middle space. He darts often and his speed helps him to be successful in that.

Listrachtes wrote it nicely above. The biggest mistake is to attack such a fighter with all your strength, it is best to bounce, reset the angle, distance and wait for his entrances, where he is often off balance and with his feet in the air. Their greatest heat is the angle at which they are out of range, if you take that away from him, then they are in trouble.

Last edited:
I actually think the dude is pretty athletic. His style is weird and it works for him. You basically see the same things he does in sparring in his One FC fight. IIIRC the guy he fought wasn’t that good though.

I think he’s mainly a low kicker with a solid double leg. Kind of wings his punches like dominick cruz, moves his head and feet like him too. I honestly feel like his boxing sucks and like cruz he relies on his speed and athleticism to blitz into strikes or takedowns. Like Dominick I don’t think his style will age very well.

I do like that he knows his strengths and uses it well

I didn't see it before, but now I can't unsee it.

If history rhymes, he would do well to be wary of someone who starts timing his slips lest he duck into a headkick that was set up for him to slip into.

He is the guy who bumps into everyone else in sparring. We all have this guy in the gym. I don't know much about him but I seen a few videos in the past. He does well in open space. He has these combos that works for him. He doesn't do as well when it is in ring and he can't move around as much. I actually seen a couple of old videos where the sparring devolves to a bit of a brawl. It doesn't happen all the time but those are the ones I remember.

I don't like light sparring, is what he does mostly

I think his style is unrealistic. Catered for youtube videos. Basically he just touches on his shots to signal he landed. No power and unrealistic.

I think his style is unrealistic. Catered for youtube videos. Basically he just touches on his shots to signal he landed. No power and unrealistic.
Found the guy who has never heard of light sparring. He only signals the shot because he's being nice. It takes way more skill to do that than to throw full power shots.

His style works just fine in real fights and in hard sparring vs. known names.

Found the guy who has never heard of light sparring. He only signals the shot because he's being nice. It takes way more skill to do that than to throw full power shots.

His style works just fine in real fights and in hard sparring vs. known names.

No. He is throwing shots in sparring which don't work in fights. He does it in the weirdest angle / body position / movement where in a real fight it wouldn't hurt.

Not saying that's his whole style. Just wanted to say his style is catered for clips. It looks better then it is. Especially to untrained individuals and people less advanced.

He doesn't spar hard known names. Post a video, I guarantee it's not hard sparring according to my criteria.

Just fine in real fights. His record is like 4-2 and he didn't fight in 2 years ?

I didn't say he was not good. He's a youtube success and a forgettable competitor.

MMA fighter who has fought for One has a pretty in depth youtube training channel. I do enjoy his content but I sometimes I feel like his combos while pretty and technical, are against mainly nobodies and the flashy technique with hands low looks cool, I dont see many guys at 145 able to effectively use that style at the high level.

He does make the distinction of best combos for SPARRING, but shouldn't your sparring somewhat reflect the pace and moves of the fight?

I dont want to make it sound like a harsh critique, but how effective would his technique actually be.

I feel like he is the typical kickboxer who is super technical, but is sort of a mediocre athlete.

I like Jeff. Very flashy and agile but i feel like his stuff won t work again hard hitters who will just lunge on a straight right while he is doing his fancy stuff.

No. He is throwing shots in sparring which don't work in fights. He does it in the weirdest angle / body position / movement where in a real fight it wouldn't hurt.

Not saying that's his whole style. Just wanted to say his style is catered for clips. It looks better then it is. Especially to untrained individuals and people less advanced.

He doesn't spar hard known names. Post a video, I guarantee it's not hard sparring according to my criteria.

Just fine in real fights. His record is like 4-2 and he didn't fight in 2 years ?

I didn't say he was not good. He's a youtube success and a forgettable competitor.
What's your record and which champions have you beaten?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Username Nate Diaz is my life

White knighting youtubers

Never took a boxing class

I didn't say Chan wasn't good or doesn't train properly. You got no expirience to comprehend what I stated.

Jeff is good just some of his sparring is a tad unrealistic with the lightness and concept to just touch. I came off harsh. He's good he's in shape. No disrespect meant. You wouldn't understand what I meant, you can't get your leg up for a high kick. That's the only thing I noticed those off balance high kicks he just slightly touches and it's not realistic. Cause he's not trying to simulate a real high kick but just touching for cameras.

Anyways I'm wasting my time with this.

I probably came of like a hater or whatever. Not sure why I even post a more, I'm tired of explaining myself to randoms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back