John Berardi Vegetarian?

haha. yeah it does cost a bit, but if it gives me half of what the hype promises then im satisfied.

It only has like 25mg of EPA per pill, compared to like 600mg in each fish oil capsule. And it's way more expensive. I'd go broke paying for vegan omega-3 supplements.

yeah I take 3 capsules a day, so in the end it is alot less then other supplements. maybe im better of not having a balance-o-meter in my home.

That's your opinion.

Yes, meat is tasty, but so are a lot of other foods. And I don't find the diet impractical at all. If I were to switch back to an omnivore diet, I think I would still keep pretty much the same diet and food staples I'm eating now.

it's weird, right. at this point, it's so normal to me I don't think twice about it. all about the learning curve and acclimation -- just like anything I guess.

wow i didnt know danzig was a vegetarian, dont know how i missed that. good read though

yeah, Danzig is vegan, and Jake Shields is vegetarian--has been his whole life according to his website.

I think those are the two most well known pro mma fighters who are vegetarian.

here are the vegan high belts in bjj i know of:
ricki rockett -- black belt
eric from richmond -- black belt
ahmed from maryland -- black belt
pilo from sweden -- brown belt maybe black by now?

sushil kumar -- vegetarian (his whole life?) -- won bronze in freestyle wrestling in Beijing

14745694_Sushil_250.jpg

http://sify.com/tamil/news/fullstory.php?id=14745623&cid=14568983
"So, what do you eat normally?

I eat a lot of fruit as I am a vegetarian and I drink milk. All this talk about drinking gallons of milk or lot of meat and food is a myth. Anyway I am a vegetarian, and we need to watch our weight very carefully. "

I wonder if Berardi is supp'ing with creatine?

if not, his muscle volume--and therefore his overall weight--may decrease slightly, esp. if he was eating a lot of creatine heavy meat before.

will be interesting to see what he finds.

Update....
Precision Nutrition Omnivore…Vegetarian…Flexitarian?

As most of you know, I'm in the middle of a plant-based diet
experiment. In essence, I'm trying to see if an almost-
vegan diet can be used in my quest to gain about 10 lbs of
lean mass.

And so far, so good. I'm up about 4 lbs in 2 weeks.

Now, I don't have body comp data for you today...mostly
because I'm in Vegas right now for UFC 94 - St-Pierre vs.
Penn.

But I'll report in with the results of my experiment in two
more weeks.

Instead, for now, I'd like to talk about some of the carnage
that's taken place in the wake of this little experiment of
mine. Carnage that sort of baffles me.

After all, there are some important lessons that omnivores
and vegetarians should learn from one another. Lessons
that'll improve health, performance, and body composition.

I was surprised that JB was going to the GSP-Penn fight, very cool. I should've figured he'd be a GSP fan, being Canadien and all.

He's getting paid to be GSP's nutrition coach. JB mentioned that he assisted GSP in his fight with Fitch.

EDIT: I guess I shouldn't assume he's doing more than just watching the fight because I don't know. But he has helped GSP in the past.

Oh, interesting, I was curious about that. I knew that he had helped write the Grappler's Guide to Nutrition a few years ago but wasn't aware that he had any involvement in MMA outside of being nuthugged by many fans (including myself).

That's awesome. I wish he could've left out the egg and the honey and tried to do a true vegetarian meal plan, but beggars can't be choosers. I wish him good luck and I hope he shows some good results so people will start taking us seriously.

regarding honey, if you eat it, might want to check your sources:

Fda Fail: Who's Watching Our Nation's Honey Imports? Pretty Much No One

"If we buy Chinese honey, as we do far too often, we know it may contain chloramphenicol or some other antibiotic that is illegal in any food product," said Brady, who produces about a million pounds of honey a year. "To find it and not report it is criminal."

Two-thirds of the honey Americans consume is imported and almost half of that, regardless of what's on the label, comes from China, the Seattle P-I reported last month.

Whoa.

Meat rage.

Sorry about that. I've subsequently found the light and have stopped eating any meat, fish, dairy, and eggs. My life is so much better. I feel one with mother nature. It's awesome.

Sorry about that. I've subsequently found the light and have stopped eating any meat, fish, dairy, and eggs. My life is so much better. I feel one with mother nature. It's awesome.

may I offer you some celebratory natto?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T_u63CwsdMA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T_u63CwsdMA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hey All,

One of my buddies told me to come check out this thread. And in the process of checking it out, I noticed that there's a lot of positive discussion about Precision Nutrition and our articles, etc. Very cool! And I'm glad to hear many of you are benefiting from our ideas.

As far as the vegetarian experiment, as I said in my last newsletter post, I'm up about 4 lbs and doing pretty well. Although, I've gotta be honest, eating that many calories on a plant-based diet is pretty tough...both in terms of sheer food volume but also in sheer gut volume. Heck, the other day, I woke up with a 32 inch waist and went to bed with a 42 in waist. Damn beans!

I'll be happy to report back in in 2 weeks as I wrap up the experiment - right after I get back from a Brazillian BBQ :icon_lol:

One more thing...as far as the UFC thing discussed above, I just wanted to make one clarification. I'm in Vegas right now as a fan. Although I know GSP, John Chamberg, and Firas, I'm not currently being paid for nutrition advice. I'm just a fan and supporter.

Can't wait to see the fight tomorrow nite!

Take care,

JB

Welcome aboard JB!
See guys...Sherdog is now the #1 nutrition forum! :)

Back