News John McCarthy blames Pat Barry and team for Rose Namajunas' title loss

Hate when these fighters appear world class one fight then next fight they regress to a lower level.

This is my least favorite Quote in the MMA world and it's almost exclusively comes out of the mouths of people that have never fought..
Except there are fighters who have said I couldn't let the fight go to the judges . . . especially non-Japanese fighters fighting in PRIDE.

Except there are fighters who have said I couldn't let the fight go to the judges . . . especially non-Japanese fighters fighting in PRIDE.

And they were able to say it because they finished their opponents.

Nerves and reassurances. Everyone is built differently. Some fighters don't even remember most of their fights after. It should be easy to understand why a fighter might lose tabs on what's going on. It might not happen to you when you compete and it might not happen to x fighter. But it does happen to y fighter. It's just a fact of life.

And that's why they have teams and cornermen. Because without teams and corners SO MANY fights would go differently. Like maybe the fight in question. Without Pat telling her she's doing wonderfully and the crowd booing is a good sign, she wouldn't have been in the post fight presser saying the crowd was booing Carla. She got that from Pat.

Seems like as soon as she rewatched she realized she'd shat the bed. She might have been better off heading into that fight without a corner, but she would DEF have been better off heading in without Pat.
Pat gave some terrible advice in the corner, but he's getting too much of the blame. Whitman is the head coach and he told Rose that she won every round. He deserves just as much, if not more, blame as Pat.

I think you make some good points. But if anything, I'd actually argue that this fight demonstrated that Rose needs her corner. Based on her reaction, it's clear that she has no feel for how a fight is playing out. After the fight ended, she let out a scream as if she had just put on a great fight. And at the post-fight presser, she doubled down and insisted that she "touched Carla up" and got robbed. If a fighter is truly in the moment and absorbing everything, they would have at least a semi-clear understanding of the tenor of the fight...despite what their coaches say. That's obviously not Rose. And because she's so mentally fragile, she probably needs a corner more than most fighters; but it seems to me she needs them to be objective and honest.

And they were able to say it because they finished their opponents.
And there are those who were on the end of a bad decision that said I'm not letting another fight go to the judges.

Yeah I'm sure it's Trevor's fault that Carla and Rose chose to practice their social distancing.

And there are those who were on the end of a bad decision that said I'm not letting another fight go to the judges.
You can think that but you can't always make that happen. That's more or less my point. Most people don't realize that "not letting it go to the judges" isn't something you can just decide unless of course, you just give up and lose..

Pat gave some terrible advice in the corner, but he's getting too much of the blame. Whitman is the head coach and he told Rose that she won every round. He deserves just as much, if not more, blame as Pat.

I think you make some good points. But if anything, I'd actually argue that this fight demonstrated that Rose needs her corner. Based on her reaction, it's clear that she has no feel for how a fight is playing out. After the fight ended, she let out a scream as if she had just put on a great fight. And at the post-fight presser, she doubled down and insisted that she "touched Carla up" and got robbed. If a fighter is truly in the moment and absorbing everything, they would have at least a semi-clear understanding of the tenor of the fight...despite what their coaches say. That's obviously not Rose. And because she's so mentally fragile, she probably needs a corner more than most fighters; but it seems to me she needs them to be objective and honest.
I can't argue anything you said - all fair points. I wasn't aware Whitman said she won every round too. Well.... they all have a lot of thinking and reconsidering to do, sadly.

My guess is it makes it harder to put in the fix in fighting sports. You need a bit of wiggle room, I think. For the gamblers who have the right connects.

I often wonder if there are gamblers privately betting (in some organized fashion) on how many eye pokes for the night and this is why the UFC refuses to use gloves that curve the fingers. Some things seem easy to fix but there's got to be a reason why they're held up as unsolvable problems.
There are places with open scoring. The state where Invicta’s home is in KC. Many advocate for open scoring everywhere. Imo, it completely shuts down the thought of blatant corruption. How do you score a 10-9 to a fighter that just took a beating before a live crowd. You could get lynched.

Id love to see live scoring in the UFC. For everyone’s sake. And I don’t buy the excuses that it could turn the last round of some fights into a dud. If I know I need a finish to win, I’m going all out.

There are places with open scoring. The state where Invicta’s home is in KC. Many advocate for open scoring everywhere. Imo, it completely shuts down the thought of blatant corruption. How do you score a 10-9 to a fighter that just took a beating before a live crowd. You could get lynched.

Id love to see live scoring in the UFC. For everyone’s sake. And I don’t buy the excuses that it could turn the last round of some fights into a dud. If I know I need a finish to win, I’m going all out.
I'm in favour of but I suspect betting/corruption will never allow this to happen in major combat events.

She doesn't need a rematch against a fighter who's getting killed in her next fight.
Lucky for you, eh? 0-3 against Carla Esparza would be devastating. Keep acting like she’s doing Carla a favour though..

tenor.gif

You can think that but you can't always make that happen. That's more or less my point. Most people don't realize that "not letting it go to the judges" isn't something you can just decide unless of course, you just give up and lose..
True, but then you're putting your fate in the hands of three people not in the ring who may or may not have actually fought either.

That last part is what people who didn't pay attention to the fight and think cage control is about who is in the center. Rose obviously thought she was in control of the fight. She was moving around Carla like she was in quicksand, stuffing all of her takedowns, avoiding the vast majority of the strikes thrown at her.

With Pat telling her she was doing the right things and winning, why would she not continue to do it? You're locked in & feeling dominant over someone isn't about beating the shit out of them, it's about knowing you're better. She was showing that Carla couldn't even do the things she was good at to her. When you're locked in to prove one thing and the people you trust are essentially telling you to continue, it's easy to stay locked in with that.

It is the downside of her being so close to Pat. It is a source of comfort to have that kind of person in your corner, but would any of us not trust the advice of our girlfriend/boyfriend of a decade(who used to be a pro fighter)?

No doubt the corner should been on her more. Maybe she doesn't respond well to go kick her ass attitude.

But either way Rose during that fight looked like shell of herself. Didn't even look like her fighting. The corner at the very least should've said what are we doing in here. Time to take your game and force it upon her. That Rose we saw Saturday night isn't beating any of the top or mid level women in the sport.

Then her attitude afterwards was more or less.............shit happens, oh well. What happen was it looked like you went in there to lose.

i dont understand why they couldn't or don't let the score be known just before the next round... if you losing you know what to do and if your winning and try to coast
your opponent will know what to do .... they show every body else guesses at the score why not just show it!!!!!!

People would easily collude. Hell, every so often people rig shit now. It would be a field day with open scoring.

there's got to be a reason why they're held up as unsolvable problems.

The reason is money.

They don't want to pay the licensing fee, nor do they want to buy the idea outright. They also don't want to pay for research and development into attempting to develop a similar solution that doesn't violate the patent on the gloves that are out already.

He's most likely right, then again Rose might be the type who needs constant reassurance.

Back