Jon Fitch and milk

From Dr. Benjamin on MMA Junkie Ask the Doc: Dr. Johnny Benjamin on a surprisingly effective supplement | MMAjunkie.com

Q. Doc, are there any supplements that you would recommend? (from Anonymous)

Despite my better judgment, I will try again with this topic.

I'll offer one (there may be others) that has actually been reasonably tested and does not come with too much hype.

Seemingly every athlete, regardless of his or her level, is looking for an edge, a little help, something with which to train and/or perform better. Hence, the tremendous sum of money being spent on "performance" products and supplements. In these trying economic times, I have an inexpensive little secret for you: chocolate milk.

Yep, you heard it right: chocolate milk. The funny thing is this is not new information, but I guess brown moo is not exotic or sexy enough to pique the interest of serious athletes. That's too bad because in several studies, cheap ol' chocolate milk smoked some very well known sports drinks.

I'll paraphrase one of the studies for you. At the Indiana University kinesiology/physiology lab, high-level cyclists trained to exhaustion (depleting glycogen stores). Then, within 45 minutes, they drank 16 oz. of chocolate milk. The cyclists rested for four hours. They then pedaled to exhaustion.

With the chocolate milk, they pedaled 49 percent longer and had a 57 percent increase in their work output as compared to the results after consuming a very popular carbohydrate sports drink (gator-something or another). Similar studies with similar results have been performed with swimmers and strength athletes (weightlifters). Since MMA requires both explosive strength and tremendous endurance, milk appears to be a well-qualified and modestly priced performance drink.

Milk is 90 percent water, so it hydrates well. The four-to-one carbohydrate-to-protein ratio seems to be perfectly balanced for athletes (16 oz. of chocolate milk has 52 grams of carbs and 16 grams of protein). The carbs replenish energy, and the protein rebuilds muscle. The extra sugar in chocolate milk also seems to help in the post-workout phase. As we all know, milk is a great source of vitamins and minerals that are important in proper growth and development.

Babies drink it for a reason:

Calcium: helps build strong bones
Protein: vital in muscle, ligament/tendon and brain development
Vitamin A: helps vision, immune system and healthy skin
Vitamin B-12: boosts immune system
Vitamin D: promotes calcium and phosphorus absorption in bone
Potassium: important in regulating blood pressure, fluid balance and muscle contractions
Phosphorus: necessary for the proper strengthening of bones
Niacin: supports nervous-system development and proper function of enzymes
Chocolate is also is rich in flavanoids that act as antioxidants that may protect against cell damage.

Timing is very important. The milk needs to be consumed within one hour after the workout to maximize its potential benefits.

This is why I hate being lactose intolerant!
Posted via Mobile Device

Fitch is just being a vegan and decrying anything from animals using anything he can to justify his decisions.

I drink a liter of milk a day. Sometimes I have to take a shit more often than usual but it's alright.

From Dr. Benjamin on MMA Junkie Ask the Doc: Dr. Johnny Benjamin on a surprisingly effective supplement | MMAjunkie.com

I'll offer one (there may be others) that has actually been reasonably tested and does not come with too much hype.

Seemingly every athlete, regardless of his or her level, is looking for an edge, a little help, something with which to train and/or perform better. Hence, the tremendous sum of money being spent on "performance" products and supplements. In these trying economic times, I have an inexpensive little secret for you: chocolate milk.

Yep, you heard it right: chocolate milk. The funny thing is this is not new information, but I guess brown moo is not exotic or sexy enough to pique the interest of serious athletes. That's too bad because in several studies, cheap ol' chocolate milk smoked some very well known sports drinks.

I'll paraphrase one of the studies for you. At the Indiana University kinesiology/physiology lab, high-level cyclists trained to exhaustion (depleting glycogen stores). Then, within 45 minutes, they drank 16 oz. of chocolate milk. The cyclists rested for four hours. They then pedaled to exhaustion.

With the chocolate milk, they pedaled 49 percent longer and had a 57 percent increase in their work output as compared to the results after consuming a very popular carbohydrate sports drink (gator-something or another). Similar studies with similar results have been performed with swimmers and strength athletes (weightlifters). Since MMA requires both explosive strength and tremendous endurance, milk appears to be a well-qualified and modestly priced performance drink.

Milk is 90 percent water, so it hydrates well. The four-to-one carbohydrate-to-protein ratio seems to be perfectly balanced for athletes (16 oz. of chocolate milk has 52 grams of carbs and 16 grams of protein). The carbs replenish energy, and the protein rebuilds muscle. The extra sugar in chocolate milk also seems to help in the post-workout phase. As we all know, milk is a great source of vitamins and minerals that are important in proper growth and development.

Vitamin D: promotes calcium phosphorus absorption in bone
Potassium: important in regulating blood pressure, fluid balance and muscle contractions
Chocolate is also is rich in flavanoids that act as antioxidants that may protect against cell damage.

Timing is very important. The milk needs to be consumed within one hour after the workout to maximize its potential benefits.

good stuff

How many vegan world champions you guys know? :D
Exactly.

Chocolate milk is the fucking bomb. Can't get enough of yo love!

Vitamin D: promotes calcium and phosphorus absorption in bone

In college when I played football our strength coach made us drink chocolate milk all the time. Cheap protein has has great protein to carb ratio.

How many vegan world champions you guys know? :D
Exactly.

Muhammed Ali - Prizefighter
Ruth Heidrich, Three-Time Ironman
Debbie Lawrence, 5k Record Holder
Brendan Brazier, Ironman Triathlete
Sally Eastall, Marathon Runner
Andreas Cahling, Mr. International Bodybuilder
Carl Lewis, Olympic Track Star
Edwin Moses, Olympic Champion
Leroy Burrell, Olympic Champion
Murray Rose, Olympic Swimmer

Just a list I got from someone else! :)

Muhammed Ali - Prizefighter
Ruth Heidrich, Three-Time Ironman
Debbie Lawrence, 5k Record Holder
Brendan Brazier, Ironman Triathlete
Sally Eastall, Marathon Runner
Andreas Cahling, Mr. International Bodybuilder
Carl Lewis, Olympic Track Star
Edwin Moses, Olympic Champion
Leroy Burrell, Olympic Champion
Murray Rose, Olympic Swimmer

Just a list I got from someone else! :)

LOL. All VEGANS not vegetarians?

I you sure about Carl Lewis? I heard he likes meat!

I drink a liter of milk a day. Sometimes I have to take a shit more often than usual but it's alright.

I drink four litres a day when im bulking up. I shit like an elephant, and it stinks of rotten eggs, but its addictive. I dont feel healthy unless im drinking milk. I just make sure I have plenty of aftershave on!

I'm a personal fitness trainer and nutritionist, and a competitive mixed martial artist (making pro debut, next fight). The only thing I will say is this - no two people are the same.

Some people are allergic to things like shellfish, and if they eat it the night before a fight, it can greatly hinder their performance without them even knowing that they were allergic to shellfish in the first place. Other people can and will get a boost in certain aspects of their performance because of shellfish.

Once again - no two people are the same. Some can handle milk, other can't. I have two clients in particular who are NOT lactose intolerant, but have gotten sick a handful of times because they ate cereal with non-fat milk two hours prior to working out. I also have another client who IS lactose intolerant, but was somehow able to manage a glass of milk a half-hour before working out (something to do with their kid as to why they drank the milk), and she said she felt better after the workout BECAUSE she drank the milk.

The body has a crazy way of adapting and improving, like a learning machine. The human body also has a "crazy" way of being different from one person to the next. Did I hammer it over the head yet that no two people are alike?

The ONE thing that Jon Fitch said that CAN be true is that lactic acidosis is somewhat increased with the intake of dairy products, but the level of which is, once again, different from person to person.

Back