Media Jon Jones admits it was “kind of nice” to fight Gane in his HW-debut, instead of Ngannou

Who’s a stylistic harder matchup for Jon Jones?

• Total voters
It's just crazy how hindsight is 20 20 in this game. Alot of people felt like ganes footwork and striking presented way bigger problems than Frank's punching power.

Man I miss Francis, they really dropped the ball letting this guy leave.

It's just crazy how hindsight is 20 20 in this game. Alot of people felt like ganes footwork and striking presented way bigger problems than Frank's punching power.

A lot of other people were also saying Gane was too one dimensional. A statement that was reinforced when he got wrestle-hugged by Ngannou of all people.

Hindsight is just an excuse for people that didn't know what they were watching.

_130119807_gettyimages-1258763134.jpg

The poll choices had me feeling like I was having a stroke, haha! The clear answer here is Francis. Ciryl had a very clear path to victory for Jon, and Francis' wrestling isn't great, but it's quite a bit better than Cyril's. At least some portion of the fight would have taken place on the feet where I would have expected Jon to be very tentative and possibly on the wrong end of the action.

Frances the type of dude that would make Jones re-think his whole style for the fight.
Gane was a walk in the park.

I think Francis is a harder matchup than Cyrill by virtue of the fact that Cyrill got wrestled down by Ngannou. HOWEVER. Jon Jones is definitely a tougher matchup for Jon Jones than anyone else.

I'm a huge team Francis guy. But I can't blame the UFC for not caving into his demands to box. It's his dream and he's living it and I'm happy for him. But hard to blame them for not following his dream. That was never going to happen unless he got to Conor status.

EDIT: I take that back - they could have sweetened the deal with more $. Say, 15m, and if not, 20m. At some price he would have fought. They could have been willing to pay more for the next two fights on his deal after Jones as well. They probably could have kept him.

But it would spur other fighters to play hardball as well and their precious investors would be furious at the potential profit lost.

At the end of the day, their business is increasing profit, not providing the best fights. When the two intersect everyone wins. When they don't, we get what we get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back